• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T

tinman

Very simple question as I'm new to this, but who are the Yugos of gun manufacturers? The names you avoid at all cost, cheap clones, the guns you wouldn't be seen dead with, etc.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Probably gonna upset some here but what's new...

Taurus auto's suck, revolvers are just ok.
    Keltec
    RG
    Jennings
    Hi point
    Titan
    Raven
    Diamond backs are cheap also

I have owned at one time all the above mentioned guns and wouldn't trust my life with anyone of them, that being said I was shooting a glock when I got in my shootout and it failed so what can you really trust? My smith revolver saved my life that day along with a great team of ems, coworkers, and dedicated trama surgeons but who knows??? I currently have 3 Taurus revolvers, 1 Keltec that's got to go, and 1 Taurus auto that I've had forever. Just my .02

Great thread!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Don't know if they are still produced but did see one at the Robertsdale gunshow. DAVIS Derringers. A real POS.

However......I would not agree with some of the above. Here's why. The way that I look at it is ...do you get what you pay for ??(value?) Is the firearm safe ?? Would I bet my life on it ?? Will it continue to deliver good(not great)service,if it is given the "normal" PM's ??

High Points --->Value ?? I would say "YES". Everybody can't afford a Les Baer,Wilson Combat,or STI. I have never owned one but I hear they ....shoot,and shoot,and shoot,and shoot,etc,etc. How about this....a complete F&B ........duh !

Kel Tec ---> Value ?? Yep I have owned a P-3AT. I did a super F&B on the gun before the first shot. It shot flawlessly for me.(You gotta use the proper ammo also.) I would definitely own another and a couple of other Kel Tec's. I WILL have one of their new shotguns and possibly a 308.

Bottom line. Common sense. I had a Kimber 1911 that did not shoot worth a crap before the F&B,mag guts change,and ammo selection. This was a $1100 gun. Gotta do the normal PM's also. On my carry guns I have written on my gun room calender...once a month. They get stripped,re- lubed,checked for wear/safety,ammo rotated from carry to range,all screws re-torqued if needed.

A huge amount of my above is a moot subject for me. Now that I have become much older and somewhat wiser. I CARRY GLOCK's !!
    MH.....I would be very interested in how your Glock "failed". --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had the same result with a Kimber. Had a CDP Pro and could not take it to the range and shoot more than 50-60 rounds without it not locking in to battery(getting dirty from range ammo). I know exactly why it happened, but just couldnt trust it enough to ever carry it. My Glock 21 and 19 have NEVER failed me. My 21 has around 2500 rounds through it and my 19 probably has more than that. Those Glocks are awesome guns and a great value. My preferred carry guns are still my S&W "J" frames. I have shot them for 30 plus years now and have never had a FTF...EVER. They go bang every time! I am not a huge fan of the newer internal lock models, but only own one of those(617 10 shot .22) now and that will never be my carry gun anyway. Bottom line, I would trust any of my 1960's, 1970's and 1980's S&W wheel guns before I would carry most anything. I know there are those that will disagree with me, but this is only my opinion with my experience. I would rather have 5 rounds of .38, .38+P or .357 in my "J" frame that I could fire all of than 15 rounds of anything else that I have a FTF or FTE on the first round cause there was pocket lint in the action.

Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    High point? You people don't know what you're talking about and jump on the forum-bashing bandwagons and I'd be willing to bet MOST of the folks who talk shit, have never fired a round from one. Heavy, yes. Ugly, yes. Reliable and as accurate ad my Kahr, Beretta and XD....YES!!! 700rds with not one failure. it's gun snob 101 mentality, that more $$ = Better. As Mullet points out, even the Cadillacs fail and if you don't drill and train everyday to clear malfunctions, you're dead. If you're new to guns, do yourself a favor and buy a revolver from S&W, they go bang every time .....Kel Tecs, Sawman hit it,they are fantastic weapons IMO, my SU16 shoots everything w/out failures and EASILY gets 1" groups @100yds with POS Wolf 55 gr HP ammo.....

I carry a S&W j fame 642. 99% Of the time....

Last edited:

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Very well said fowl hunter. Again I'm a snooty ass when it comes to guns, I don't like cheap shit. I will also not argue anything negative about glocks, I shot thousands of rounds from a glock and their is no better battle proven automatic in history that compares to the perfection of a glock. I was also given a Jennings j-22 that has yet to misfire on me. The glock 22 that failed me I carried everyday, it was issued to me new in the box and I was given a streamlight and had it on it when the shooting went down. And we have already heard by tons of people how their glock has never failed them, bullshit keep shooting it then. It will happen, either bad ammo, dirty gun, etc it will fail. Mine never failed after a closely estimated 900rds Down the tube. And like Newtons law states, when it goes down it goes down hard. My gun double fed in the middle of a shootout and was useless to me at the time it failed I was in a crotchet position taking fire from three feet away I could not swap out mags, I was getting hit and I had to switch to ole reliable, 1980's .38 5 shot airweight a little cover fire and I barely made it out. So preach what you want about mine never failed me they all fail at some point... So pick your poision, btw the guy hat shot me was shooting a Jennings 9mm 13shot.... My gun was cleaned four days before the shooting, and I'm the guy that cleans others on my patrol shift. Good luck...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Different strokes for different folks. However, I support the lists of bad manufactures posted so far. I would add Skky or SCCY as the name is now. Lots of bad reviews and bad service. "Tried" to shoot a 9mm. Jamalama: not worth the $239.

Let me add this. Guns are like women.
    1. The a trophy one maybe high maintenance and often dysfunctional in spite of all the fine features.
    2. Some are plain Jane that you augment a little and life together is good.
    3. Often we do not delicate enough time to ones we choose, but they take care of us when things are bad and always ready at the bed.
    4. Don't you hate it when you wake up the morning after a "social' event, the lust has faded and you want to chew your arm off to get away from "it".
    5. WWYSBS (What would your shooting buddies say?)
    6. Are they are like a moped? Fun to use but you don't want your friends to see you with it.

If it trips your trigger, run and gun! If not, buy a different cup of tea.

WR

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To each their own and i know many on here are truly 'experts' and I'm just a regular middle class dude with middle class buying power. I believe first-hand experience is critical, justify a comment with your experience about how/why something is bad rather than says it's garbage with nothing to substantiate an opinion. Hi Point CM9, for example, has a 4.5/5 rating from 92 OWNERS on Buds. People who own the gun, shoot the gun and can report accurately. is it my first choice? Hell no. Do I trust it to protect me and my family if need be? without hesitation yes.

Like anything else, do your own independent due diligence.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Although I don't own any now -- I've had decent success with Taurus in years past. I had to send a few back -- but the customer service was always 100%. I wouldn't hesitate to have one as a beater gun for an old pick-up truck...

Diamondback -- I actually had very good experience with. I bought both a DB380 (1st 200 off the line) and a DB9 (1st 300 off the line) and both were 100% reliable. My wife actually still carries the DB9 as a purse gun.

Jimenez -- the ones that I've fired had horrible triggers -- but they went bang every time...

High Point -- an example of function over form. Ugly, pot metal, heavy -- yes. But, they work. If someone needed a home defense pistol on a $150 budget, I'd point them in that direction. The carbines are an excellent value -- although in recent years, the prices have increased dramatically.

Would I choose to buy any of the above right now? No. But, a firearm is better than no firearm -- and if they were my only options, I'd be wanting one.

T

tinman

One of the things I've learned from reviews is occasionally a lemon does seem to escape a factory, and it does seem to taint the owner in a really bad way against the whole brand. Which is where we seem to be with Hi-Point....

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the things I've learned from reviews is occasionally a lemon does seem to escape a factory, and it does seem to taint the owner in a really bad way against the whole brand. Which is where we seem to be with Hi-Point....

It's the restaurant syndrome....1 person has shit meal, they tell everyone....10 people have a great meal, they tell their neighbor...maybe

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nice reviews so far from every ones perspective...Let's keep in mind that guns are machines and machines do break. With that said, treat them as if your life depends on their function. Clean regularly, function check also. Get some time in at the range. Persistence pays to keep current on all of the above. There are some gun makers that make better guns that others... I taught my kids when they were growing up to buy the best brand that you can afford at the time. If your flippin' burgers at BK, I'm pretty sure you aren't going to buy a FN FiveSeven (hell good luck finding one now anyway). The main thing most of the guns here with negative reviews is they tend to be "el cheapo's". That said; better to buy a good used gun and then as time and your economics improve, you can move up to that special gun you always had your eye on...Keep the opinions comin' they seem to be pretty good. And lastly lets all abide by the adage of "While I value your opinion, I may not necessarily agree with it" rule...

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    IMO... I owned G36, sent a few hundred rounds thru it and never had a problem. Had a Keltec fall apart (plastic parts, who knew). Buddies who owned feel the same on hi-points, ugly but put the bullet in the direction it should. Sold the glock, not an easy choice, but looking to replace with another carry and have really enjoyed the insight on this thread.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Davis Industries, a friend has the 380 semi auto and i made him break it down and throw into a salt water bay, these are the ones know to blow up and cost Davis $14-25 to manufacturer

Top Bottom