• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't see it being any worse or better than the other CLP type lubes.
    FWIW; I have never followed a specific break in for an AR. They either work the way they should or they don't and I've never had any issues as long as I used high quality components.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    ive never broken in a gun in my life. i might be doing it wrong but i aint ever had any problems. love the way ballistol smells!!! thats some good stuff.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    jakec. I'm with you but I have never tried to build a gun to shoot long range. I have never shot a gun fast enough to get them very hot even untill I started to shoot IDPA.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Never heard of it, before I switched to FrogLube I used CLP/rem oil/hoppes, I believe in using formulas specifically made for guns, not for my car or boat. I also don't follow any specific breaking procedure, I think most is just voodoo, my guns are more accurate than I am.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently started cleaning with Ballistol and it cleans way better than the standard CLP. I cant bring myself to trust it as a lube though. I use Hoppes oil and grease and also CLP, depending upon my mood and whats within reach. I want to try Froglube, but havent made the purchase for the cleaner and lube yet. Those who use it swear by it and say its super easy to clean after usage, which is important for me, I always clean after shooting.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently started cleaning with Ballistol and it cleans way better than the standard CLP. I cant bring myself to trust it as a lube though. I use Hoppes oil and grease and also CLP, depending upon my mood and whats within reach. I want to try Froglube, but havent made the purchase for the cleaner and lube yet. Those who use it swear by it and say its super easy to clean after usage, which is important for me, I always clean after shooting.

That is my issue with CLPs. Much like Leatherman/Gerber multitools they don't do anything particularly well although they do somethings better than others. They don't do anything as well as a purpose built tool.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I have hoppes, rem, an some other oils but, I use American Gun Oil on my hunt guns because it has no oder!! I also bought some frog lube as well. Denny in pace!!

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
    There are two schools of thought when it comes too break in. Personally I'll shoot a few dozen rounds and then give it a thorough cleaning and call it good. Others run it straight out of the box and call it good. Either way you will be just fine with ballistol, whatever you do though, do not rely on the lubricants that are on the gun when you get it. I've talked to industry professionals that say nobody ships guns with lubricant able to properly protect a gun being fired.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I want to try Froglube, but havent made the purchase for the cleaner and lube yet. Those who use it swear by it and say its super easy to clean after usage, which is important for me, I always clean after shooting.

You won't be disappointed.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to derail but I'm old enough to remember when people used 3 in 1 oil. Don't know if they even make it any more. Old timers know what it is. But then AR's weren't around and people doing mag rumps. Our mag dumps were tube fed 17 shot .22's

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to derail but I'm old enough to remember when people used 3 in 1 oil. Don't know if they even make it any more. Old timers know what it is. But then AR's weren't around and people doing mag rumps. Our mag dumps were tube fed 17 shot .22's

They still make it and I still use it on some of my hunting guns and as a rust preventative from time to time.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom