• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ever notice how a blank canvas seems easy to paint. I was letting my daughter and granddaughter shoot some .22 shorts in the backyard yesterday. Now I showed my daughter how to shoot years ago and it was impressive how a young lady who has never shot before quickly learns and is consitantly on target, then after not picking up a gun in sometime, she was still very impressive and hitting golf ball size targets at 25 feet offhand. I gave my granddaughter the pistol , watching carefully ,ready to correct her, only to find out there was no need. She actually had a great grip and was holding it almost perfectly. within a dozen shots she too was hitting targets. I offered them each a 20.00 reward if they could hit a small target, grand daughter had 4 shots left, daughter had only 1, It only took 3 shot total for me to loose 40.00.
    I was so impressed watching the 2 girls shoot, and they love it. I guess I am going to be less a pistol or 2.
    I can only assume they watch and learn as I shot a few first and really only instructions I gave was safty and sight alienment to little one.
    My son was also a natural at shooting, but he trained on Call of duty for a long time.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those young ladies are a great reflection on you and their parents.

Training new recruits at the Academy and also for requals; the newbie is much easier to train per standards then someone who is experienced and practiced but not with state standards AND especially those with bad habits. You can't "un-teach" incorrect shooting habits. You can only hope to wear it out through repatriation of the new. This is why LE firearm transition courses require so much time and a high round count. For a year after a transition from S&W Mdl 10 to Glock, we could pull officers out have them do a fire and reload drill X2. We still found some officers who would fire the last round in the Glock and lay it into the support hand to to push and hold "the Mdl 10 cylinder" open! Scary, but lessons well learned and reinforced.

Now if you CCW and change your carry firearm between those of different functional design: you to may have bad issues on top of the stress of any incident. The same thing applies to your carry gun and your house gun.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not necessarily a young woman...But I just got my mom shooting for the first time last week. Made her take a safety course, then I took her to the range with my XDm 9mm. She was shooting more consistent than I ever thought about doing when I first started. But unfortunately I waited a couple years to take a class. I wish I had taken this route.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not necessarily a young woman...But I just got my mom shooting for the first time last week. Made her take a safety course, then I took her to the range with my XDm 9mm. She was shooting more consistent than I ever thought about doing when I first started. But unfortunately I waited a couple years to take a class. I wish I had taken this route.

You are a Good Son.

bowserb

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The first time my wife took the Texas CHL class, she had very little--almost none--experience with handguns. The instructor did a double take when he saw her first five shots. She just did a renewal class, and she blew out the center of the target to the point that her later shots didn't even show, since they went through the big hole in the center, to the point that some others in the class kidder her that she wasn't even hitting the target. Meanwhile she was helping newbies load magazines.

Women have a couple of advantages. One, they're not caught up in some manly "I already know how to shoot because I'm a man" thing, so they listen to instructions. Secondly--and I learned this from a former Marine sniper--their slower breathing helps their steadiness when shooting. The most deadly Viet Cong sniper was a woman.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That makes sense, seems every woman I introduced to shooting did very well right from the start.I kind of thought there might be a left brain right brain thing and along with the breathing, I can see where it all adds up.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That's great. I too had my 8yr old daughter shooting old chicken eggs with a .22 revolver yesterday. Stopped by styx river to pick up reloading stuff today and she complained cause we didn't have time to shoot while we were there. I smiled...

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Out of all my uncountable grand kids, the two oldest grand daughters are the best shots by far. My 84 year old mom can out shoot many of the guys I know. She still has her CWP and carries too. My wife would do good to keep all her shots in a 36 inch wide door at 10 feet.

Top Bottom