APOD Firearms

WTT Youth Savage Model 10, 7mm-08 for T/C Prohunter or .243 bolt. *Perdido Key, FL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Youth Savage Model 10, 7mm-08, Wood Stock.

Perdido Key, FL

andywhall@cox.net
    850-232-1828

Trade Value: $325-375

I would like to trade this rifle for a similar quality .243, synthetic or wood stock. My first choice would be to trade, plus cash on my end, for a Thompson Center Prohunter in .243 or 209x50. If bolt action, the trade does not necessarily have to be another youth model, but in .243.

I bought this rifle for my son 3-4 years ago and he has never gotten used to the recoil. It's to the point where I need to change caliber to try and salvage his waning interest. The rifle is in very good condition, no corrosion. The wood stock is also in very good condition considering it has been handled by a 10 year old in the Kansas woods. I had a quality trigger job done last year, 3 lb. nice and crisp. There is also a limb saver recoil pad installed. It is a sweet shooting, very handy rifle that would easily fit a smaller adult. It measures a total of 39.5 " and the barrel is 18". Scope mounts go with the rifle, however the scope does not. Feel free to call or email with questions.

Attachments

• 1photo.JPG
      1photo.JPG
      43 KB · Views: 205
    • 4photo.JPG
      4photo.JPG
      58.7 KB · Views: 205
    • 2photo.JPG
      2photo.JPG
      68.1 KB · Views: 206
    • 3photo.JPG
      3photo.JPG
      71 KB · Views: 205
    Last edited:

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ah yes. Thanks, gendoc.

Cooper07, please edit your post to include a trade value per the For Sale Section Rules.

Thanks!

tennjeep, please don't think I was correcting your job........
    i'm just curious for a very good friend's daughter...an 11 year old hunting machine:thumb:

Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gents,

I apologize for my rookie posting abilities in regard to location and trade value. I posted $325-$375, let me know if I am out to lunch with those numbers. I bought it for $325, trigger job $100, recoil pad $25. I am not naive enough to think I'm getting much back on the trigger job or recoil pad and my research leads me to believe I am in the ballpark. I will negotiate, I am not unreasonable or married to this rifle.

Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    dead-bird,

I am embarrassed to say that I never considered this option. I appreciate the recommendation and I might very well act on it depending on the possible trade options that may or may not surface here. Thanks again.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I haven't put them to use yet but I have a Savage action wrench and barrel nut wrench you could use if it would help keep the cost down.

You'd need a barrel and headspace gauge.

Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I might take you up on your offer. Let me research this option a bit more. Much appreciated.

gtmcgeejr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WTT Youth Savage Model 10, 7mm-08 for T/C Prohunter or .243 bolt. Perdido Key...

You will most likely not notice any difference in recoil between a 7mm08 and a 243. These rounds share the same casing and basic powder charge.

HideBuster

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can run reduced recoil loads also. Cuts recoil 40%. My 7 year old girl shot her 7mm08 with hornandy custom lite rounds last year. No problem.

Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to be honest that I have never shot a .243, purely basing my decision to recaliber on what I have read. Having thought I initially did my homework when I purchased the 7mm-08, I was unpleasantly surprised the first time I shot it. I mainly shoot a 30-06 and I find this Savage 7mm-08 to be recoil unfriendly (120 grain,Federal Fusion). Not sure if it's the size and weight of the rifle? Anyway, I am starting to sound pretty pathetic so I'll wrap this up. Two years ago while lying prone making the shot on his first deer my son received his first scope bite. In the heat of the moment and having not practiced in the prone position I failed to do my job and ensure my 10 year old maintained the proper eye relief before pulling the trigger. The good news, 150 inch Kansas buck down. The bad, a recoil shy 12 year old two years later. HideBuster, thanks for the info on the Hornady Custom Lite which I will be ordering to give it a shot. Beyond that maybe you could send your 7 year old over to kick my 12 year old in the butt and tell him to toughen up, might be worth a try?

HideBuster

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly might be good for him to see another kid shooting and not being scared of recoil. Especially a little girl. Lol. He will be fine with the reduced rounds, really knocks the sting out. Her rifle is mossberg bolt gun that is really light and its a nice shooter with the reduced rounds.

Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having done a 20 minute internet search it would appear that Hornady Custom Light in 7mm-08 is hard to come by. Any suggestions on where to buy? Thank you.

Cooper07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll have to give Cabelas a call tomorrow. The only cutom light they are showing on their website is 30-06 and 270. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom