• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Budget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to see what people are doing out there. I have been doing the wine and mead making for about 1 1/2 years now and its one of my favorite hobbies. In that time I've bottled about 200 bottles.

So really what's your:
    Favorite recipes
    Favorite beer/ or winemaking
    Past experiences
    Current batches
    Future plans
    Or are you just interested

I think in the future it would be great to get to gether for a tasting

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Budget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The most recent batch I made produced 88 bottles and the flavors were:

Blueberry merlot
    Sweet blueberry
    Blueberry port(fortified)
    Muscadine
    Watermelon merlot
    Tutti fruity
    Strawberry rush(fortified)
    Hobo merlot

gunforumfan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just started home brewing beer. Got a european ale and an australian ale in bottles right now. Also trying a kornelius keg.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been doing wine and mead for several years now. I don't really use recipes though. The last batch of mead I made shielded 14 months and my buddy knocked out 3 bottles in about a month. Made some black cherry 15 months ago but I over sweetened it and its now going to be used for meat.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Beer brewer here,,,,,I've brewed Pale ales, American Ales, Red ales, Red Stouts, Wheat Lagers, Pilsners, Amberbachs and now have a batch of hard Cider ready to bottle.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to be really big into home brewing about 5 years ago and then I just kind of stopped. I was part of the local brewers club and very active. I haven't brewed in a while but I can't go but a couple of weeks without thinking about getting back into it. If i do get back into it I am gonna keep it simple and probably only bottle and maybe do partial mashes. I spent entirely too much money on kegging and my 10 gallon brewing setup previously.

Budget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I'm suprised to see so many responses in just a couple of hours. Does any one know of any up and coming tastings around the Pensacola/Milton area? I go to the quarterly one put on by the Shady Lady, but that's not coming around till December.

Budget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I'm suprised to see so many responses on just a couple of hours. Does one know of any up and coming tastings around the Pensacola/Milton area? I go to the quarterly one put on by the Shady Lady, but that's not coming around till December.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best thing to do is join the escambia bay home brewers club and go to their monthly meetings. Everyone brings beer and wine for tasting.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to be really big into home brewing about 5 years ago and then I just kind of stopped. I was part of the local brewers club and very active. I haven't brewed in a while but I can't go but a couple of weeks without thinking about getting back into it. If i do get back into it I am gonna keep it simple and probably only bottle and maybe do partial mashes. I spent entirely too much money on kegging and my 10 gallon brewing setup previously.

well, I find that I brew more when it's cooler. Keeping the fermenter and bottles bewteen 50-70deg is a challenge in the hot Summer.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I make a little muscadine wine (both golden and red) This year the muscadines didn't get ripe before the rains and fell off so none this year.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well, I find that I brew more when it's cooler. Keeping the fermenter and bottles bewteen 50-70deg is a challenge in the hot Summer.

If you want to spend a little money a ranco digital therm controller and a small fridge makes a great fermentation chiller and you can crash cool your beer to really clear it or brew lagers. If you prdominately brew ales you can get away with what they call a swamp chiller. Basically find the biggest rubber maid tub you can find at walmart and fill it with water and control the temp with bottles of water that are frozen. It fluctuates a bit and you can't do lagers effectively but it definitely helps with temp swings and keeps them down.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you want to spend a little money a ranco digital therm controller and a small fridge makes a great fermentation chiller and you can crash cool your beer to really clear it or brew lagers. If you prdominately brew ales you can get away with what they call a swamp chiller. Basically find the biggest rubber maid tub you can find at walmart and fill it with water and control the temp with bottles of water that are frozen. It fluctuates a bit and you can't do lagers effectively but it definitely helps with temp swings and keeps them down.

yeah, as part of our "getting off the grid" program, I need to lessen power consumption, the( brewing) fridge is out.. I like the tub idea and have plenty of them, so.....

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've only done some "Mr. Beer" stuff. Its not bad, and easy for me to do. I've been told to start slow, before really doing the complete brew process.

Budget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone ever tried making beer thru a champagne method. What I mean is basically making a hop, barley, or wheat wine and use champagne yeast to carbonate. I have seen some commercial beers/wines that were kind of like that, but haven't seen anyone do it or advertise a method. Just curious. An example would be like Sam Adam's New World Ale. It comes in champagne bottle and is about $12 a bottle. Good stuff.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone ever tried making beer thru a champagne method. What I mean is basically making a hop, barley, or wheat wine and use champagne yeast to carbonate. I have seen some commercial beers/wines that were kind of like that, but haven't seen anyone do it or advertise a method. Just curious. An example would be like Sam Adam's New World Ale. It comes in champagne bottle and is about $12 a bottle. Good stuff.

New World isn't brewed with a champagne yeast, it's brewed with a belgian yeast which gives off a lot more esters than clean ale yeast such as Safale US05 or Nottingham or something like that. Basically New World is just a belgian tripel beer.

Budget

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sorry I wasn't saying that it was done like that. I was just using it as an example of what I kind of wanted to make a beer wine like.

Top Bottom