• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    [PHPi[/PHP]
    This threat of a government shutdown everytime they don't pass a continuing resolution or a budget (they have not passed a full budget since 2006 by the way) is getting to be the norm and insane.

well, it makes perfect sense. The issue is the federal budget, but now, since this govt is in the housing, auto, banking, education and health care business, that stuff is now part of the budget. Thank God there's a few in Congress that is fighting this huge straw that will break the middle class' back.

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I had to do my job for free I can honestly say I still would. I guess the wife would be getting a job and supporting me, but luckily they decided to still pay me. USAA helps as well, getting paid a little earlier.

Bruiser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you "had" to........if we (military) dont get paid b/c of this, I would "have" to also.... I would not volunteer to work for free though. I am glad the President signed the bill to allow military to keep their paychecks, this time........

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is something else that people not having been in the Mil don't understand is that we paid our income taxes just like everone else.SSI to unless in a War Zone. Now before the perfect One corrects me it is called hasard dury pay.One year I paid more in taxes than the Pres did and it always amounted to about 1 months pay. So much for paid leave,If you could get leave.

Bruiser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well its according to where you deploy to now.... You can receive hazardous duty pay and/or iminent fire pay, which are extra pays on top of base pay. Also, according to where you deploy to, you can receive all your pay tax free. Some places, for instance Turkey, you dont receive these extra pays nor tax free. Ben_p, if you would volunteer to work for free, my hat is off to you sir. You must be doing well for yourself financially in order to not need the income you work for.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bruiser I know it depended on where you were,we didn't get it on Guam unless falling down on coral counted.Edit, Just remembered there was a Japanese guy still hideing out in the bonies since WW2 that didn,t come out untill after I left there so I guess I could have been shot at. Now THATS working for free.Hats off to him.

Last edited:

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well its according to where you deploy to now.... You can receive hazardous duty pay and/or iminent fire pay, which are extra pays on top of base pay. Also, according to where you deploy to, you can receive all your pay tax free. Some places, for instance Turkey, you dont receive these extra pays nor tax free. Ben_p, if you would volunteer to work for free, my hat is off to you sir. You must be doing well for yourself financially in order to not need the income you work for.

The rewards outweigh the loss of income to me personally. I could survive off my wife's income alone if we lost everything right now and she should be able to get a job fairly easily. We aren't rich or anything like that (she's a teacher) we just live within our means, save money, and don't get into any debt.

YMMV and I feel extremely lucky to get paid to do something I really enjoy. Please don't think I'm saying you're wrong in any way for feeling how you do, that wasn't my intention at all. I wish politicians could all work to better our country instead of setting us back over personal interests, but I am glad the military is getting paid because I know they're working regardless of the situation.

Bruiser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No man, its all good. I am not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone. I for one cannot live based on my wife's pay alone. She is a RN, making close to $30 an hour. However, we live within our means also, but that was all budgeted around both our incomes. If I were to not get paid for my job, we would potentially lose our home, etc. Major changes would have to be made for sure. Military would be mandated to still report for duty and work as normal with no pay. That would prevent alot of people from being able to get another job. Not like we can just quit our job like the civilian sector can. Some people may be able to make ends meet, just not me personally. 800K fed employees are without pay now. LUDICROUS!!! We have 15 civilians in my shop alone that just signed their furlough paperwork and are headed out the door with no pay. Thats just unacceptable.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I for one cannot live based on my wife's pay alone. She is a RN, making close to $30 an hour. However, we live within our means also, but that was all budgeted around both our incomes. If I were to not get paid for my job, we would potentially lose our home, etc. Major changes would have to be made for sure.

Make the changes now. Get a smaller house. Get rid of those car payments or what ever else you have to pay for. We used to be the same way. Lived in a nice 2300 sq ft house on Garcon Point. Had two car payments on nice vehicles. Had a boat and then some. Thought we were living within our means etc... and were happy. Then my wife (also an RN) lost her job when the surgery center she worked at had to go under because people were not having elective surgery any more due to the economy. We hit a hard reset and we now live in a modest 1500 sq ft house, have no car payments on 8 and 9 year old vehicles, no more boat and a lot less toys all around. My wife stays home and is raising out children instead of some daycare worker.

And you know what we are MUCH, MUCH HAPPIER. We are a family of 4 living off of about what your wife makes for our family income. My children play soccer and do gymnastics. We sacrifice for our children and we live a comfortable life. It can be done and can be done well. Most choose to live their life the way they do. Make more, spend more is always the case. But make the change to a different lifestyle to where you can live off one income and you will be amazed at the pressure that is lifted off your shoulders. Sack away that extra money and your life will be much better later in life.

Not trying to tell you how to live. Just telling our personal struggles with the whole one vs two income battle. I never knew how much money we simply wasted until we didn't have that money.

Bruiser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Got it..... I got 4 small children, so I am not going to live in a small house like that, sorry. My wife gets paid good money, however, none of you know how many hours she works. Its not many though, I will tell you that. But, it is enough to make ends meet for us. She cant work full time as we would need day care/before and after school care for 4 kids. SHIIIIIIIIIIT, thats too expensive. Push come to shove, obviously you would somehow make ends meet. That really isnt the point here I guess though. I am just pissed/concerned for us federal workers that is being effected by this bullshit.

loadtoad1a7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the law had not been passed saying the military would still get paid, once a budget got passed you would be back paid for the paychecks you missed. So, not sure if you can say you are working for free. Now if the military did not get back paid then yes you would be working for free.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loadtoad, I can see you have never delt with having your pay screwed up while in the mil. Once it is screwed up it can take months if not years to get back pay.Now tell that to the land lord,the cop that stops you because your car tags have expired. Any one that you have to pay for there services. Light company would love that. Lets let you go with your pay messed up or late for a couple of months. Granted you would get your back pay but you sure cant apply for unemployment to help you buy food. Ever go to a foodbank to get enough food for your family.

Bruiser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Military finance office is well known for taking forever if they owe you money. Some of you guys wanna nit-pick specific verbiage. You know what I'm talking about. Call it what you will.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loadtoad, I can see you have never delt with having your pay screwed up while in the mil. Once it is screwed up it can take months if not years to get back pay.Now tell that to the land lord,the cop that stops you because your car tags have expired. Any one that you have to pay for there services. Light company would love that. Lets let you go with your pay messed up or late for a couple of months. Granted you would get your back pay but you sure cant apply for unemployment to help you buy food. Ever go to a foodbank to get enough food for your family.
    +1000 When I transferred and was living off base my BAH/BAS didn't get turned on and the 1400$ in DLA took 3 months to get. I remember when I was an E3 and I got overpaid 450$...they snatched that back the day I told the YNs that I got overpaid.

loadtoad1a7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a matter of fact I have. I have served for 18+ years and have had my pay screwed up more times than I would like to remember. I think though when it comes to this type of back pay, you will most likely see it pretty fast unlike BAH/BAS screw ups.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not disputing your word but I have never seen any thing in the gov go pretty fast. Ever have your tax return handled fast if it was screwed up. I am owed back pay from 1970 . Not trying to get anything started but have you ever went through not getting your check when it was mailed? I know what I went through when it was mailed from Nebreska and I was stationed in South Dakota. It was a nightmare to borrow enough money to pay rent ,buy food,gas to get to work.Thank god I didn't have kids at the time to worry about.. Pay was screwed up one time when I was TDY. Same story except I did get a check for 2.00. Get that strightened out.At least I could eat in the chow hall and didn't have to worry about rent.That only took 2 months to get strightened out. Thank god we won't have to worry about it this time,so it is a nonissue. Thank you for your service. What branch?We might be Air Force.{When I said we it might have sounded like I am still in the service,I am not.}

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Lots of wasted $$ in the Fed Govt, what has obama added 100K in fed workers? This is temporary, I worry more about the 14 million that cannot find jobs because of this regime.

loadtoad1a7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am Air Force and had to deal with this crap in 96 or 97 I cant remember exactly, during the last shutdown. Had to call land lords and creditors and explain why they would not get paid. Thank god it was settled before we missed a pay check and did not have to worry about it. I know every one is just venting there frustrations with the whole ordeal, I am just trying to keep my chin up and think positively through this, especially for the young airman who are going thru it and debating if this is worth continuing a career.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom