Why is the Model 36 S&W 38 so collectable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why is the Model 36 S&W 38 so collectable?

Context:
    My neighbor has some old revolvers he's looking to sell, he is interested in buying an uncomplicated 9mm for home defense (we'll probably buy him a glock). He wanted to see if he would have a reasonable trade in value with his revolvers at a pawn shop. I told him I'd help him sell them on the forum so he could get the best value, not get ripped off, and maybe someone will get a deal; vise versa.

When I went to look up the value of this S&W model 36 I got some wild prices. Anywhere from 1600 to 700 bucks for this simple S&W snub nosed .38!

So, I figured I'd ask the forum if there was something particularly collectable to look for with these model 36's or is it just the craftsmanship of S&W itself that's so valuable.

Thoughts?
    Wrecks.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It is iconic, and it is from a quality manufacturer. They don't make them like they used to.

"This small revolver, designed primarily for plainclothesmen and off-duty police officers, made its public debut at The International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in 1950. At the conference, the Smith & Wesson sales force asked the police chiefs to vote on a name for the new revolver. The most commonly suggested name was .38 Chief’s Special®. Designed with the needs of law enforcement officials in mind, the Chief’s Special proved to be a popular revolver for personal protection due to its size and weight. When Smith & Wesson adopted model numbers in 1957, the Chiefs Special became the Model 36."

Condition is important. Hope the links below help. Once you figure out what year it was manufactured, value should come down to condition.

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    The model 36 or "chiefs special" is a legend. Durable, reliable, accurate and at the time it came out it was a truly concealment gun. The 36 is almost as iconic as the venerable 1911. Police, PIs, gangsters and shopkeepers alike carried them. Something about an old blued steel snubbie just makes me want to put on a suit and a fedora to go get a cup of joe and hit a stake out! Colts snake guns hit big numbers and then came back down a bit. S&Ws have been on a slow rise and will continue to gain value for years to come. Heck, even just the old "magna" grips are fetching big money. Grips that people used to take off for some pachmeyers and toss in a drawer. Factory combat grips (finger groves) are going for $250-375 these days. They don't make 'em like they used to!

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I collected for many years . Some variations are worth a pretty good bit , but as with all collectibles condition is king , only trumped by rarity . Collectors also like to see complete packages with original box , papers ,tools & stocks / grips etc . If you'd care to post detailed pics we could help with pricing . At the risk of pissing off the bottom feeders , this is not a good market for collectibles . One gets much better prices at either the big national shows like Tulsa or Louisville or Gunbroker / Auction Arms . 96% + condition with original box & all accessories & better will fare much better with a larger market exposure . Unless a rare model or variation or of a certain vintage guns in less condition do not to the same extent .

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sounds good, I will try to take a pic this weekend. Full disclosure: I am not profiting from this sale in any way; just doing my fixed income neighbor a solid.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I love the old 36s and 60s but I think $700-$1600 is wishful thinking.
    If you’ve got one that’s pristine with the box, you might get $700 or $800 but anything higher would surprise me.
    Maybe on GB but not around here.
    I’ve bought 2 in the past year both at pawnshops and in very good condition.
    The square butt I gave $325 (a bargain) and the round butt $500.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Collectors value and shooter value are two completely different things.
    In todays market/economy if you are strictly a collector that plans to "retire" at age 55 by selling his firearms investments ... that aint gonna happen.
    I am a shooter (especially now). If I found a ABSOLUTELY NIB,unfired Mod 36 for $900 and a 80%+ Mod 36 for $550. I would buy the used gun in a heartbeat. (But would much rather have a Mod 60)
    If anyone really feels that they are gonna meke (clear,net ) money,either now,or in the future,by paying $1000.+ for a Mod 36 ...? ... well,good luck.
    Look at the snake Colts. How much did you buy it for ?? How many years have you owned it ?? How much did you just sell it for ?? What was your net profit after how many years ??
    FOR ME - - -> there is no such thing as a "investment" firearm. The very best you could do is buy from someone that doesn't have a clue what their firearm is (ACTUALLY) worth,and sell to the same type of individual.
    Good luck you "collectors" out there. ---- SAWMAN

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Value is whatever the market demands. Surplus 941r Jerichos without a rail used to be 400 dollars 4 years ago. Now, you can't get that model for anything under 1600 dollars because it's featured in an anime popular with millennials and it's been bought up in anticipation of the release of a live action movie. You can buy a brand new one for 600 dollars but it won't be the same model.

Limited supply definitely will influence the price of a commodity regardless of whether you feel it's justified or not.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A pristine no dash with all matching numbered accessories & box ( 98%+) will fetch 7 - 800 , not around here though . The high dollar ones are the " Baby Chiefs 5 screw improved I frames " with diamond grips & red boxes 1953 - 56 vintage & the Chief Target models with adjustable sights .

Last edited:

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A pristine no dash with all matching numbered accessories & box ( 98%+) will fetch 7 - 800 , not around here though . The high dollar ones are the " Baby Chiefs 5 screw improved I frames " with diamond grips & red boxes 1953 - 55 vintage & the Chief Target models with adjustable sights .
    Yeah, this was the information I was looking for in this post. I knew there was possibly some sort of key feature that I didn't want to overlook and not get his fully realized value.

Top Bottom