Why dont they use moon clips for SD revolvers??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blobfisher

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Moon clips are usually used for rimless auto cartridges. As far as I know, you can get moon clips for the 9mm Ruger LCR and for the 9mm Taurus revolvers. I think it’s a great idea to have an auto that can accept auto cartridges for that reason. Faster, simpler reloads.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The half moon clips were issued in WWI for the 1917 .45 ACP colt and S&W revolvers. I never heard anything negative about them.
    View attachment 281106
    The sw governor ships with 3 2rd if I'm not mistaken. Load 2 45 acp, 2 45 colt and 2 410 for the ultimate party crasher. One is with my bride under my pillow as I type this...

Last edited:

SonJohn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used moons and half moons in my SW Model 25-2 for years. Of course, it's not a SD pistol; but, I did have it handy for home defense 30 years ago. The need for a reload during a home defense situation never crossed my mind, but I honestly cannot fathom choosing a wheel gun with moons for anything other than recreational shooting with so many other superior alternatives available. Moons and half moons require fingertips of iron or a tool/dowel to unload, they are flimsy, and they rust like crazy in everyday life situations. Magazines easily defeat every theoretical advantage of moons in a real life situation requiring deadly force.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    No not at all. Just showing moon clips and revolver.
    Just depends on what you're wearing. I have concealed bigger in my motorcycle jackets and I ride my bike every day. My favorite .45 is my cut down M1917. I say "cut down" but it still has a four or five inch barrel on it. I love it. I also like that it's a Smith & Wesson and doesn't need moon clips. It can load one at a time without clips because the inside of the cylinder is cut to headspace on the case mouth.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom