DK Firearms

Why dont they use moon clips for SD revolvers??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I like them in theory with a j frame, but only because it ensures ejection with a short rod
    I had a 442 cut for it, and used it for the loaded rounds for that reason. carried a speed loader and a speed strip as actual reloads due to the aforementioned durability. They bend SUPER easy. Bent one trying to load it without a special tool. know some dudes carried them in plastic film canisters in a pocket, but idk how that’s faster than a speed loader in the same pocket.
    For a full size duty/comp gun it would be cool, just expensive to get cut. You can buy a lot of hks for the price to get a cylinder cut for clips.

I got rid of the 442 that was cut for it, moved to a 640 and rarely carry reloads now

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Moonclips are good for range use.... but a liability for carry, IMO. They get bent and you are SOL.
    I prefer speed strips instead...rubber. And load 2 then skip and 2 more for a total of 4 rounds.
    You practice that reload and I think the strip gives one more control of the reload compared to any other reload technique for a revolver.

Even speedloaders can be "wiggily" and thus a possible liability on a quick relaod if you can't line them up just right.
    Of course, YMMV.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    moonclips rule for flat out speed but not so much for EDC. safariland speed loaders for my 442 and tuff products speed strips are my go to. mooning and de-mooning them is also a pain and you need the tool to make life easier...

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have used moon clips and speedloaders both. In the end, moon clips work until they bend/deform, but speedloaders align the rounds much better, work reliably, and do so much longer. IMO, moon clips were originally designed to be thrown away, like M1 "clips," not used forever. Just my $.02. Personal choice in the end. If you like moon clips and accept their limitations as G2G, have at it. If you're wrong, you'll be the first to know.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    There're moon clips available for the .455 Tracker that will work. There're as accurate as any other cylinder that shoots 45 LC and .410. However the caution would be that 45 ACP is higher pressure than 45 LC and .410. The cylinder walls on the Judge are much thinner than the Tracker. So avoid +P ammo in 45 ACP. On reflection I wouldn't do it but that's me. I prefer my appendages be connected to risk them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom