Patriot Mobile

Who Has Shot Hard Cast in Their Glock 20?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ashamed to say that I don’t really know that much about bullets. I’m a hunter and a plinker.
    Everything I’ve read says hard cast for bear protection. I don’t really know the difference between HC and FMJ. Lead vs copper coated?
    I appreciate the offer but I’m gonna be in the river and don’t want to chance messing up your holster. I’m probably gonna go with leather just because I like the looks of them.
    Do you like your nylon? You have a G20?
    Everybody is always talking about how fmj is no good on game because it shoots thru due to over penetration. Dosent mushroom or burst. Figured it would be a good thing in this case. Don't really know.
    Probably can't mess up the nylon holster, it's good quality nylon. I like the holster but after seeing a leather one it's more rigid than the nylon believe it or not. May get one someday. I was lucky to get this one from Fathertime for free. Big thanks btw.
    Ran across a deal on a G40 MOS with Zev internals, trigger, firing pin etc. and sold my G20 the same day. Don't know how much of a deal it was because I ran out and bought a holosun, and mount plates and backstraps.... and then another Holosun, SCS no plate required. lol. Both green led. Can use iron sights if it craps out.
    Gonna get a deer this season with it using handloads. Bonded gold dot hp 200gr.
    20230306_150918.jpg

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Ashamed to say that I don’t really know that much about bullets. I’m a hunter and a plinker.
    Everything I’ve read says hard cast for bear protection. I don’t really know the difference between HC and FMJ. Lead vs copper coated?
    I appreciate the offer but I’m gonna be in the river and don’t want to chance messing up your holster. I’m probably gonna go with leather just because I like the looks of them.
    Do you like your nylon? You have a G20?
    I have decided for me, Nylon works better for the outdoors. If it gets wet, it will dry out over night. If it gets Bloody and "Fish Stink", which I hate, it will wash easy. Leather not so forgiving.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have decided for me, Nylon works better for the outdoors. If it gets wet, it will dry out over night. If it gets Bloody and "Fish Stink", which I hate, it will wash easy. Leather not so forgiving.
    I emailed the company, told them I would be fishing and asked would it hurt to get the leather wet. They said it will dry fine and not hurt a thing.
    The nylon probably makes more sense and is less than half the price of leather but that leather sure looks good.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I emailed the company, told them I would be fishing and asked would it hurt to get the leather wet. They said it will dry fine and not hurt a thing.
    The nylon probably makes more sense and is less than half the price of leather but that leather sure looks good.
    Leather that I did use outdoors always got a coat of "BALLISTOL". I used a 1/2" wide, soft bristle artists paint brush to apply even coats inside and out. No water worries after that.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    We are staying at a fishing lodge but no guide. The guy I’m going with has been every year for 15 years so he knows the ropes. He carries a 44 S&W.
    He’s seen 3 grizzlies in that time, 2 of them across the river.
    Like I said earlier, I’ve done a lot of reading and joined a couple of forums.
    The G20 has become increasingly popular lately and the old standbys are the 44 mag and the 454 Casull.
    I’ve got a 629 and a Blackhawk in 44 mag but both have long barrels so wouldn’t be quick out of the holster. I’m planning on buying a short barrel revolver, probably a Ruger, if I go that route.
    I plan on buying a Diamond D chest holster.
    Underwood and Buffalo Bore seems to be the ammo of choice.
    Just an FYI , you don't have to be faster that the bear , just faster that the one you are with :D

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yes it does. Fitment is probably better too.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Leather that I did use outdoors always got a coat of "BALLISTOL". I used a 1/2" wide, soft bristle artists paint brush to apply even coats inside and out. No water worries after that.
    P

Isn’t Ballistol a CLP?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Decisions, decisions. Gotta figure out which gun first.

Attachments

• B518ACED-0915-4790-BDFE-AB0C38F06D11.png
      B518ACED-0915-4790-BDFE-AB0C38F06D11.png
      1.2 MB · Views: 34
    • 753D8D20-D792-42E6-BF3B-C1C1BA56BAE5.png
      753D8D20-D792-42E6-BF3B-C1C1BA56BAE5.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 36

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have 2 Glocks that are part of my SD / HD plan . A 21 in 45acp & a 17 9mm . Both have self-installed fitted KKM barrels . I shoot both lead & jacketed with no problems or malfunctions . Won't have an unreliable weapon . I cast a RNHP comes out around 220gr with 20 to 1 alloy . That's 20 parts lead to 1 part tin . I load this to 900fps in 45acp . For all my cast bullet loads including rifle I use either White Label or LBT blue . If you size to fit & use a quality lube 90% of the problems you hear about are eliminated .
    KKM sucks now. (I have a good one but I would not buy another)

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was one of my concerns. I read where the KKM barrel can make the gun less reliable.

They must have taken a crap then! I wore one out in my Glock 35 and replaced it with another. Over 100,000 rounds with no malfunctions that weren’t ammo or mag related. I have a closet full of trophies from matches I shot with KKM barrels.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    . 200 grain FMJ should penetrate as well as 200 grain hard cast even if it's cast from linotype. FMJ only leaves copper fouling, lead can build up faster. But hard cast linotype at .44 Mag velocities still leaves lead behind. I'm with Rebelrider on this one. Just stick to the 200 grain FMJ in the Glock if that's your sidearm of choice for the trip.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I’ve read that hard cast is hard all the way through. FMJ is soft lead with a copper coating.
    That ammo that you referenced looks interesting. I’m going to look into it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Solid monolithic projectiles have been used for years on the Dark Continent. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40-190gr-handgun-solid PS: Ballistic Nylon with a Kydex Sheath. It won't be cold enough in August that the Kydex Sheath will become brittle enough to shatter. Leather doesn't do well when immersed in water for extended periods. Trust me, Navy Swimmers don't use leather unless there is nothing else. Looks great, but man made materials function better in extreme conditions. Just food for thought?

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Yeh, I’m really pondering the leather holster.
    Diamond D said it’s fine around water but this is not a cheap holster.
    I will be wading in chest waders but I wouldn’t think I would be in water much about my knees.
    All the casting though is bound to get some drips, drops and splashing on it.

Papa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

this is a short but informative read. I have ordered these and will let you know how the perform.

I have shot both Underwood extreme penetrators and buffalo bore bullets in my g20 with no perceptible lead fowling and yes I do know that Glock does not recommend shooting these in their firearms.

In previous trips to Alaska I have carried a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 this is extremely heavy and the punishing recoil will not allow quick follow up shots, so I too have been doing research on 10mm, some of the Guides where I fish have started using the G20 instead of .44 mag and .454, and seeing as I own a G20 already I am going to give it a shot ( no pun intended).

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom