• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what would y'all recommend? I am new to the AK family and new to the platform. I use Pmags and GI mags for my AR which run flawlessly. I also have used promags in my AR which SUCK!!!! Malfunction every 3-5 rounds! So is there any mag that is better than another for an AK? I just don't want to go out waste money and find out it is a crap mag for the rifle. I appreciate the input.

bfisher1970

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Steel European military surplus work fine for me and should last forever
    Poly mags can get worn at the tab and chewed up if the mag opening on your AK is a bit rough.

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like the above post says, you can't go wrong with steel eastern bloc AK mags. Chinese mags are good too;I like the Chinese 30 round flat backs and the Hungarian 20 rounders the best.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Not sure what Magpul were thinking - metal reinforced polymer mags have been the norm for a while now. Not that the current PMags are bad, just sayin.

I'd go with regular old steel mags if it's 7.62. Circle 10 Bulgys are nice as well. If it's 5.45, the Bulgy Circle (10, 21, 25) mags are good stuff. Russian plum magazines worked best for me for 5.45.

bbyrd130

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as the 7.62 I personally prefer the Yugoslavian surplus mags. One of the few that have a bolt hold open after the last round is fired (I think there were one or two others that had it but cannot remember which ones). Yeah, the bolt closes whenever you take the mag out, but at least you don't squeeze one off on an empty chamber.

5.45 the russian and bulgarian ones

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    For an AK-47, I have used the eastern bloc steel mags, Bulgy Circle 10 mags, and even the PROMAG mags. My PROMAG mags work as well as my Bulgy Circle 10 mags. AKs can be picky about magazines sometimes. There are some that do not function well with polymer magazines. That said, I have never seen an AK-47 not function with steel mags. With the AK-47 I have left, I use only the Bulgy Circle 10s and PROMAGs in it.

SaltyDawg

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive personally had no problems at all with my 20 & 30 round Tapco mags. Great price great Mag in my opinion.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have tried several types of AK magazines. The steel mags of all kinds have worked best for me. Chinese, Bulgarian and Euro all work great in what I have and shoot. I have only owned a couple ProMags and they both were horrible. Maybe I just got a lemon or two, but I will have a hard time trusting them again. I do have a few Tapco mags that have worked great so far, just don't know about their longevity yet having plastic feed lips. Now granted, I don't have some milled receiver $1,000 plus AK, but for my M92 PAP pistol and WASR-10, the above holds true for me. I am really looking for one or two of the 75 round magazines if someone would chime in and give their two cents on that, I am sure we would all like to hear.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I have tried several types of AK magazines. The steel mags of all kinds have worked best for me. Chinese, Bulgarian and Euro all work great in what I have and shoot. I have only owned a couple ProMags and they both were horrible. Maybe I just got a lemon or two, but I will have a hard time trusting them again. I do have a few Tapco mags that have worked great so far, just don't know about their longevity yet having plastic feed lips. Now granted, I don't have some milled receiver $1,000 plus AK, but for my M92 PAP pistol and WASR-10, the above holds true for me. I am really looking for one or two of the 75 round magazines if someone would chime in and give their two cents on that, I am sure we would all like to hear.

The Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags are fantastic. They are very pricey these days, but a well worth it in my opinion. I have a few of them myself.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...agazine-ak-47-762x39mm-30-round-polymer-black

75-round drum
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ak-47-drum-magazine-75-round?a=1143232

Last edited:

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Holy Cats Tackleberry! That is too much mullah for my cheap ass...ha ha! I have been looking at the Romanian drum for a while, might have to pick up a couple and see how many rounds I can waste with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom