• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • born2fizh

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thinking about getting a new hunting rifle. Got it narrowed down to a .308 or 7 mag. Which one should i go with? What has better knock down and down range ballistic?

born2fizh

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    what do you mean longer barrel life? all i do is hunt with it, not a target shooter?

fla_scout

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been shooting a Browning 30-06 BAR for years and love it for Florida deer. I have a sweet Marlin 30-30 that is a great bush gun it just depends on what you want. For south Alabama or northwest Florida deer anything along the 270, 30-30, 243, 308, 30-06 will do you fine. Keep in mind that the 30-30 is more of a thick underbrush type of gun.

Your not going to get a lot of 300 yards shots unless you are on one of the newly cut clear cuts.

born2fizh

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i hunt central alabama and hunt a lot of pastures so i have the opportunity to shoot along ways. not a newby been hunting awhile

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For Central Alabama -- a .308 is all you need. Plenty of bullet weights for use on different game and distances. The 7mm Mag (and all belted Magnums) belongs out West in my opinion.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Born2fizh Try the 300 wsm or weatherby 300 magnum if you like long range hunting. I'd be at home with a well tuned 30-06 at those ranges but this is just my preference.

texasden

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    of the two i would go with the .308 but i would reccomend the 30-06 instead.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My Go to guns are right now my sako techomante 300wsm with a 56mm meopta, my first pic would be my sako 85 finnlight in 30.06 with a 56mm trijicon on it... I love a 30caliber rifle they are devastating. I've killed 46 already this year and the season hasn't even started... At night but its legal...

doekiller77

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 308 does not compare to a 7 mag they are right a 308 is all you need i would rather have the 7 mag just in case you go out west lol

Sniperpeeps

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .308 all the way...lot's of data easily available...with a 168gr bullet you would be looking at about 15 inches of drop from 100 to 300

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To answer your basic question the 7mm Mag tops the .308 with the same style and weight bullets. However; I would let the geography of the terrain and the type of game drive my selection. For thick skinned/tough game or long shots in open country I would go with the 7Mag. For thin skin game in forested areas: the .308. Either round will do the job with the correct bullet and proper shot placement. Due to the higher vel. of the 7 mag, the potential for more damage to the meat at closer range exists. You need to factor in your abilities also. The cost of an occasional box of 7mag Vs .308 won't break the bank. Precieved recoil is heavier with the 7mag. If bear or elk may be in your future I would go with the 7mag.

You can go to this site to compare ballistics on both cartridges to further assist your selection.

http://huntingnut.com/index.php?name=pointblank

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For Central Alabama -- a .308 is all you need. Plenty of bullet weights for use on different game and distances. The 7mm Mag (and all belted Magnums) belongs out West in my opinion.

flyandscuba nailed it, the 308 round will work just fine here and the ammo price will not hurt your pocket book.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I am with flyandscuba as well. I have a couple different deer rifles I hunt with depending on terrain and if I am hunting out of a stand or stalking. For stalking I take a Ruger 96/44 lever action in .44 magnum or my Marlin 1895G in 45/70(I know...overkill, but sure is cool to hear the "THUD" when it hits a big ole oinker). For more open areas or a tree stand I carry my .243 or .308. If I had to choose one caliber for deer for the rest of my life, .308 it would be.

Luv2Hunt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't believe in it, but I have met a few poachers who killed many, many deer and hogs with a 22 mag. I have seen countless deer in Florida and Alabama killed with a 300 weatherby mag. The point is either the 7mag or .308 will do the job just fine, depends on your wants and likes. .308 has been the choice of military and police snipers for a long time and a tremendous amount of data and bullets are available. I know a man who has used the 7mag for decades and is one of the deadliest hunters I have ever met who routinely takes head shots. 7mag bullets probably wont be as available or as cheap as the .308... the 7mag is a smaller bullet ahead of a lot more powder so it should be much flatter shooting.

Top Bottom