• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently decided to start casting my own bullets for a few calibers. I went in blind but had done my fair share of reading on it. Wanted to know who else is into it and maybe share some tricks of the trade!

Keeping it under 1100 feet per second
    Using 2%tin 8% Antimony 92% lead

Pour speed and temp of lead is crucial (I found out)

I am gas checking everything

Lox lubing but moving to powder coating soon and still wax lubing over the powder coating

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpeg
      IMG_2640.jpeg
      1.8 MB · Views: 17
    • IMG_2648.jpeg
      4.3 MB · Views: 11
    • IMG_2667.jpeg
      IMG_2667.jpeg
      2 MB · Views: 18
    • IMG_2668.jpeg
      IMG_2668.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 16
    • IMG_2703.jpeg
      IMG_2703.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 14
    • IMG_2704.jpeg
      IMG_2704.jpeg
      2.1 MB · Views: 14
    • IMG_2705.jpeg
      IMG_2705.jpeg
      2.3 MB · Views: 12
    • IMG_2712.jpeg
      IMG_2712.jpeg
      1.8 MB · Views: 11

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Looks like your doing it right…I’ve been casting for a few years, mostly using Lee moulds and lead from all over. Call me old school, I’m not too worried about %’s of tin ,alimony, etc as mine are just to punch holes in paper. So far only pistol calibers cast…for my 45-70 I purchased some cast lead boolits that are also powder coated. I use Harbor Frieght shake-n-bake powder coat method, no leading issues whatsoever.
    IMG_7392.jpeg

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like your doing it right…I’ve been casting for a few years, mostly using Lee moulds and lead from all over. Call me old school, I’m not too worried about %’s of tin ,alimony, etc as mine are just to punch holes in paper. So far only pistol calibers cast…for my 45-70 I purchased some cast lead boolits that are also powder coated. I use Harbor Frieght shake-n-bake powder coat method, no leading issues whatsoever.
    View attachment 285285
    Those look great!

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am shooting my 45 LC out of a .460 XVR S&W so I want punch with no leading. The .300bkout .200 grain are for a 13” Pistol with a can on it so I am planning on getting them around 900-1000 FPS quiet is the goal for them. So the tin and antimony for hardening was for those purposes. I am not sure what might happen if you make them too hard but I read you can do it. I would like to play with the % of alloys to find a perfect blend. Which leads me to penetration tests between soft lead and hardened lead. Probably can just YouTube it.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I am melting I use borax powder to remove the contaminates from the lead it swells and adheres to the impurities and then I just rake it off with a spoon. It worked surprisingly well. I tried not doing it but when I got low on lead the impurities made voids in the cast bullets. I am one of those guys that has to touch the hot burner to learn for myself lol

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use old wheel weights , no mixing ,just clean with bees wax I might have some molds hanmging around if interested .gitting out of casting after 30 years just PM me

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    When I am melting I use borax powder to remove the contaminates from the lead it swells and adheres to the impurities and then I just rake it off with a spoon. It worked surprisingly well. I tried not doing it but when I got low on lead the impurities made voids in the cast bullets. I am one of those guys that has to touch the hot burner to learn for myself lol
    Just my $0.02, when you are alloying a large ? amount of metals and fluxing any junk that comes to the surface use a small piece of a candle ,after it melts, set it on fire , this will drive any tin that's in the junk back into your melt
    .https://castboolits.gunloads.com search fluxing

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Speaking of tricks, how do manage an alloy that adds up to 102%? ha ha

Be careful and monitor your use of suppressed cast bullets in the Blackout. Even though subsonic, there could be a buildup of lead in the suppressor that could be very hard to remove if too thick. Happened to me, but I caught it early.

For my needs, 20/1 lead/tin and Lyman #2 hardness cover it for me. I buy my gas checks from Sages Outdoors much cheaper than Lyman or Hornady, as in $20 or so cheaper per thousand. For bullet lube I use LS Stuff...MUCH cheaper and they have all styles including bulk for even less $. I buy bulk, melt in a double boiler, and pour into my lube sizers.

I’ve only experimented with the cheaper aluminum gas checks in 44 caliber and found no difference from copper ones in accuracy and impact point. I want to try them on 30 caliber and will do so on my next order.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Be careful and monitor your use of suppressed cast bullets in the Blackout. Even though subsonic, there could be a buildup of lead in the suppressor that could be very hard to remove if too thick. Happened to me, but I caught it early.

For my needs, 20/1 lead/tin and Lyman #2 hardness cover it for me. I buy my gas checks from Sages Outdoors much cheaper than Lyman or Hornady, as in $20 or so cheaper per thousand. For bullet lube I use LS Stuff...MUCH cheaper and they have all styles including bulk for even less $. I buy bulk, melt in a double boiler, and pour into my lube sizers.

I’ve only experimented with the cheaper aluminum gas checks in 44 caliber and found no difference from copper ones in accuracy and impact point. I want to try them on 30 caliber and will do so on my next order.
    Yep it’s 6% antimony

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That’s a great point I have a Silencerco 300 omega and they are not serviceable so if I leaded it I would be in bad shape. I might need to rethink that……

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Your mileage may vary. Back in the day I was BIG into the Blackout. I would be sent items to test and report back on. Don’t remember the origin of the cast and powder coated heavy bullets, but the rifling would cut through the coating, exposing lead and leaving lead in the suppressor after just five shots. Maybe the underlying lead was too soft. Maybe the coating was too thin. My point is check after only firing a few shots just to make sure. After firing quite a few supersonic jacketed rounds it seemed to have removed the lead buildup. Now if you can take the suppressor apart, it would matter much less. My two 30 cal suppressors are not user take apart.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your mileage may vary. Back in the day I was BIG into the Blackout. I would be sent items to test and report back on. Don’t remember the origin of the cast and powder coated heavy bullets, but the rifling would cut through the coating, exposing lead and leaving lead in the suppressor after just five shots. Maybe the underlying lead was too soft. Maybe the coating was too thin. My point is check after only firing a few shots just to make sure. After firing quite a few supersonic jacketed rounds it seemed to have removed the lead buildup. Now if you can take the suppressor apart, it would matter much less. My two 30 cal suppressors are not user take apart.
    I am thinking I will switch to the rugged obsidian .45 Can it’s rated to handle the .300 Blk out and would gas better just won’t be as quiet then when I get my hardness right I can go to the unserviceable can and see how it does. I’m real bad about hyper focusing on accuracy and grouping so I needed that call out to bring the other issues with cast bullets back to the front of my dome!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    A couple of points , I didn't see a casting themomter , a good item to have and especially with the Lee pots and Alum molds.

6% antimony , that equals to about a 16 to 16.5 BHN . This alloy needs ( BHN x 1422 )= 22752 MIN. psi to obtuse. And , if you are not sizing to .001 over your chambers throat Dia. Try recovering some of the bullets and see if they are not gas cut even a little.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Will they gas cut even with slower velocity that soft? If I gas check them will it prevent this even at the softer alloy? Does tin % increase this or more antimony %?

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan on diving into the Lyman book this weekend to understand it further! I really appreciate all the help and support here!

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpeg
      6.1 MB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom