APOD Firearms

What will your gun "infer" about you to a Grand Jury or the Court?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People have personalized firearms for centuries. Individuals and manufactures feed "badass" names, logos, replacement parts to a hungry market. Sombody is buying them. What happens when your gun with "Punisher", "Hammer of God" or some other marking goes into evidence? We have seen cases where questions of use of such a big gun, HP or other defensive man stoppers bullets come into question and why didn't you shoot him in the foot? We know why, but Lawyers will still work hard to put it all in a bad light. I don't think a pink AK will get you off the hook for a drive by but "Vengeance is Mine" engraved on your slide is not going to help your Case. Anyone seen a Case where this was a issue before?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-cover-inscription-used-against-him-in-court/

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a plain old Glock 19 with the standard fifteen round magazine it came with filled with the same brand and type of HP ammunition the Milton PD told me they use in their issued handguns as of 2014. No changes, no modifications, nothing to stand out.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yeah, that was stupid, but I don't think the inscription or lack thereof would make much of a difference based on the conditions portrayed. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think Dante nailed it.

However, I'll go on to say, law enforcement is expected to hold a standard. Just like I wouldn't expect them to wear red shoe laces in thier personally purchased boots, i don't expect profanity to be written on thier personally own duty weapons.

Rebuilt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have heard of cases where trigger modifications(reducing pull) was used to convay that the person was wanting to use the gun to kill.

Guns that I see as range toys or safe queens I tinker around with, but my everyday carry I leave it bone stock.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    These are just some of the things I cover in a ccw class,and how will your action's will be looked at, your hand gun is just one of many thing's that come in to play. And what kind of ccw class did you take. Just because you met the minimum, are shoot IDPA does not get you out of jail. Just my 5 cents jj

substratum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A Grand Jury is a truly random sample of the people in your county who showed up for plain old jury duty one day. They just happened to get picked for a six month term on the Grand Jury. Grand Jurors are not "screened" like they do on a regular trial jury... no questions about your views on anything. The only way to get excused is to have some sort of significant personal health issue or unchangeable plans to leave the country during the term. All that to say, it really depends upon what people in your county are like, in how they respond to guns, or something etched upon a gun.

I served a 6-month term on the Leon County Grand Jury a few years back, where we heard about 14 murder cases, and one public corruption case. I could tell by the questions asked, that many of the jurors were knowledgable about firearms. A Grand Jury in Broward County is going be VERY different than a Grand Jury in Santa Rosa County, that's for sure.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the only thing I would even think about inscribing on a gun would be a partial quote of the 2nd amendment, or if a long gun, the whole passage.

substratum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A grand jury for the most part hears only the Prosecutors case to get you to go to trial, you are at their mercy.

That's true with respect to what and how the case is presented, but I can say that there were numerous jurors during my term (including me) that viewed the state's case very cautiously. Those jurors were, properly IMHO, more inclined to base an indictment upon the testimony of eye-witnesses and experts (generally LEOs or LEA techs), than we were upon the sometimes melodramatic presentation by the SA's Office.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All they would infer from my CC pistol(s) (I do rotate carry depending on attire & where I'm going)
    is that one old dude carries old 1980s/90's pistols and is more than familiar with how those old guns work :laser:

Much like how it is at an archery tourney when you see an old dude with an old bow...
    you know you are about to get schooled, because he knows Exactly how that bow is going to perform :D

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'll be running my carry gun for the next few months. THAT should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a License Plate "I4NI" till I moved to FL. Its meaning was often mistaken and not seen from the Biblical intent. In times past, death was the only punishment and the method of execution was the variable based on the offense: major, minor or perceived. Eye for an eye, tooth tor a tooth, hand for a hand and so forth was a call that punishments imposed should be equivalent to the crimes and not exceed them. Extract full Justice but nothing more.

Sword and shields have carried names and images for centuries. We paint names, teeth and images on our weapons of war to this day though the PC community finds this offensive and they know not what war truely is in the trenches. I too have names for some of my weapons but I have no need to mark them as such.

nrajeeper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suspect everything you say can and will be used against you in a court-of-law.. and "say" includes things written - whether on your gun, your bumper sticker or an internet forum.

I get Concealed Carry magazine and their articles have pointed out how ammo selection (OTC vs hand-load for eg) can be used against someone....

warbird1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have heard of cases where trigger modifications(reducing pull) was used to convay that the person was wanting to use the gun to kill.

Guns that I see as range toys or safe queens I tinker around with, but my everyday carry I leave it bone stock.

Same here!

Top Bottom