• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The first firearm I fired was my Granddaddy's Single Shot 12gauge.

We were walking across the edge of a hayfield along a fencerow looking to flush a covey of quail. We only had the one shotgun and I was 5 years old. After we reached the woodline at the opposite end of the hayfield my Granddaddy asked if I wanted to shoot the Shotgun....Duh..of course I did. He backed me up to a small pine tree and told me to shoot a pine cone that hung from a limb of another pine 10 yards away and 5 feet off the ground. I lined up on the Pine cone pulled the hammer back and pulled the trigger. The shotgun was to large for me and I had the stock under my arm instead of on my shoulder and the recoil jerked the shotgun back and my index finger got bent backwards in the trigger guard.....It hurt. I took it well and didn't cry but didn't shoot a shotgun for another year sticking with a Marlin .22.

What was the First Firearm You Fired?

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First gun I shot was a bolt action single shot made by bicycle company Iver Johnson . It was made in the 1930s I unfortunately sold it last year. Purchased as a kid in the early 70s to step up from shooting bb guns. It was a great iron site short barrel target rifle. I now kick my ass for ever selling it, but don't we all have that feeling for our 1st shot firearms :smile:

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Remington sportsman 58, my grand father owned it. Thing is neither of my grand fathers made it back from WWII. His best friend vowed to take care of my father and eventually became the best man I ever knew. When he died back in 1981 he left me my grand fathers shotgun, and his 69 bronco. I still got them both. My most prized gun. It's old and ugly but I would give you my wife before that old shotgun.....

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    High Standard sentinel 22 revolver, thanks to dad leaving it to me I still have her. shes almost 60 yrs old and operates like new

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The YMCA in the town I grew up in had an indoor rifle range. Learned to shoot archery and BB guns when I was 8 and when you turned 12 they would teach you on .22 cal target rifles. They had some nice target rifles with peep sights. I loved going there every Saturday to shoot and I still remember and love that gunpowder smell.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Savage/Stevens 12 gauge single shot. Dad and my favorite Uncle were shooting a few guns and offered me a shot with the 12 Gauge. I was maybe 9 years old and 55 pounds dripping wet. I shouldered the gun, aimed and pulled the trigger. After I picked myself up off the ground, and they quit laughing, they offered me another. I took it! I was double hooked then. :)

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    with the exception of many bb guns, cap guns, and pellet guns, it was some damned ol muzzleloader my dad and uncle were shooting in the front yard. I remember them playing with the powder charge and ramming the bullet down the barrel and firing away. Coolest thing I ever did see. I guess I was 5 or 6 at the time? my older brother wouldnt shoot it, so I was gonna show him...... My uncle loaded up a "good" charge and cocked it for me (think it was percussion cap if I remember correct). Laid the barrel on a stump and sat behind it on my knees. Pulled that trigger and BOOOOOM!!!!! Loudest noise I had heard at that time. Dont remember what happened next but I remember getting up off my back and my dad and uncle laughing their asses off at me. I dusted off and asked for another try, and another, and another. The rest is history, haha

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hahaha, RackinRay, didnt read your post. Was too excited to read mine and its funny how similar they are!

T

tinman

1911 in 9mm about 6 months ago (I think that's what it was), followed by a 1911 45. Both at Styx for my ccw. Then a 38 special (would love to know what the revolver was, loved it).

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remington 550-1 .22. My Dad took me with him to a job site somewhere around Natchez, MS. I was 6. I couldn't shoulder the rifle, so the butt just went under my arm. I hit the can twice out of about 9 shots. I've got a duplicate of the rifle, my Dad gave the rifle to my first cousin.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The first gun I remember shooting was a 1st generation T/C Contender .44 Magnum 10" octagon barrel. It was at Field 4 on Eglin when I was probably 6 or 7. My Dad was basically holding the gun in my hands and I pulled the trigger. I was hooked after that and probably shot a brick of .22LR that same day out of my Dad's Ruger Mark I taper barrel. I never imagined that would fester in to the sickness for guns that I have today.

Top Bottom