• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Heys guy, I have never shot a 1911 but am wanting to get into the 45acp arena. I know alot of the nicer high end 1911's are in the 1,000's but for my first excursion into 1911's I'd like to keep in reasonable. Any suggestions?

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Consider resale value before you buy. Without mentioning brand names you might buy a 1911 at the lower end in value and save a few bucks on the front end, but cheaper guns lose their value for resale very quickly. If you plan to keep it forever it doesn't matter. Go over to the Colt Forum for some very knowledgeable discussion on 1911's with respect to values, and those folks are very helpful. Surf Gunsamerica for prices and see what the new ones cost and what a used one goes for. You might decide spending a few extra dollars up front makes more sense for you. With that said you should be able to find a quality 1911 for around $1000.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I have thought about all that regarding resale and I'm all about spending a little more for a quality product. With that being said I could easily talk myself into a gun I don't really need as a "starter" 45 lol. I was already thinking $1,000 as my high end but lower of course if I could get a quailty 1911. Thanks for the input I will check out that forum!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny thing, My $1200 Kimber and $800 STI are no more reliable than my $400 High Standard. If you take care of them, the $400 guns will still bring near $400 anytime.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I just looked at RIA website and I thought they were more pricey than its showing. They have a 5" Pro Match Ultra for MSRP $875. About the reliability I understand a gun is only good and the person shooting it so I don't need an expensive gun that my abilities are not up to. Not to say Id never have one

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Look at the Ruger SR1911, excellent for the $600-650 area. I owned a commander size for quite awhile and never had an issue. It's floating around the forum soemwhere...;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just looked at RIA website and I thought they were more pricey than its showing. They have a 5" Pro Match Ultra for MSRP $875. About the reliability I understand a gun is only good and the person shooting it so I don't need an expensive gun that my abilities are not up to. Not to say Id never have one

Check somewhere like Buds Gun Shop or Gallery of Guns. Only Bass Pro charges MSRP.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you're in Pcola stop by Mikes outdoors, they have a decent selection of Kimbers, Springfield, and a few others.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Depending on your definition of reasonable, in order of ascending prices for the best value in its place of the market:
    less than $600 - Rock Island
    less than $900 - Springfield RO
    less than $1300 - Springfield TRP
    less than $1600 - Dan Wesson or used Les Baer
    A rock island is a perfectly good starter gun if you're ok with a little grit in the trigger and rattle in the slide,'it's also easy to upgrade. Just don't expect it to feed anything but 230 ball reliably, as that's what the basic 1911 pattern pistol was designed to do. You also can't expect to get your money out of the upgrades to a RIA.
    Also, stay away from anything with a firing pin safety or external extractor.
    JMO, YMMV, .02c, etc...

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks I'll do that. I was wondering who might have a good selection to put my hands on.
    It's a pretty good place to handle a few different brands. All depends on your price point.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    less than $600 - Rock Island
    less than $700 - Ruger/Kimber
    less than $900 - Kimber/Colt
    less than $1300 - Springfield/Colt
    less than $1600 - Dan Wesson

A Kimber Custom II can be had for less than $700 if you shop around and would recommend it over the Springfield offerings in the same price range.

Last edited:

TD1985

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    is nobody going to mention Sig Sauer 1911s? some of the nicer ones like the nightmare and scorpion and target match can be had new for less than a grand... not much less but they are an excellent example of the 1911 platform

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    No.
    An RIA has potential. Sig is fubar, same as S&W.
    Colt is good if you get a s70, and Kimber is good if it's not a "II" series. Ruger seems to work, but the one I handled felt horrid.
    :flame:

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Sig Tac Ops TB Flawless but I'm not going to recommend it as that is not what you asked for. I will recommend the Taurus PT 1911.
    I had one for a few years and then sold it. I missed that gun and bought another! Many entry level 1911s have reliability issues, fit and finish is equal to the price point and they are bare bones guns. Go to the link below and read about the PT 1911s Specs and Features. If you like what you see, read some online reviews. In blue, no rail sell for about $550 but come up on sale often @ $450+-. COMPARE this to all other "entry level 1911s". Then price 1911s with the features the PT 1911 has and you will really see the deal this gun is. LIFETIME WARRANTY!
    Don't judge this 1911 by issues that Taurus is having with some other designs. Many firearm Mfg have production/design issues from time to time. Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it. It doesn't need a thing IMHO

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=59&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=19

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now it is just my OP,But run FROM a Taurus. Mine was a real junker and I won't even sell it because I wouldn't do that to anyone I might ever see again.

Depending on your skill level and how much you will shoot count on a trigger job on most guns under 1000. I like 3# pulls and I don't think most factory guns will have that light a trigger. I just had a trigger job done on my Range Officer because it wasn't light enough.

Top Bottom