• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Did a little reading on the Swiss K31. Fun fact to know and tell- Each rifle as it finished production was assigned to specific person. That individual's name was written on a piece of paper and placed underneath the buttstock. After the owner's compulsory one year of service, he was offered the opportunity to buy his rifle and take it home. Many new owners today still find the slip of paper with the original issued soldier's name.
    Very True! While I've posted some of this years ago, I'm posting again, as some may have not seen it. I have more, but this is enough for now.

Here's the tag from my K1911. Issued to: ANDRE’ DUPERTUIS BORN IN 1908 FROM LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND, DRIVER, 36th AUTO DETACHMENT
    I've been in touch with his grandson who now lives in Wyoming. His grandfather always asked people he knew to call him "Andy". Someday when I can no longer take care of the carbine, it will be sent to his grandson. The carbine is in VERY nice condition, possibly because Andre' was a driver, not a infantry soldier.

5E7D98B5-7A65-41A3-A710-A90258D2097A_1_105_c.jpeg
    EFC847A9-CFCC-4ADA-A899-EB33390FA2D0_1_105_c.jpeg

Here's the tag from the P49 (Army version of the SIG P210) pistol issued to: Jürg Keller who lives at Ruchacherstrasse, CH-8914, Aeugst, Switzerland. The 01/7600841 was his phone number. Enlisted as tank mechanic and issued a rifle and pistol in 1964. Turned rifle and pistol in and issued this pistol and another rifle when he went to officer school in 1966. Then he was the officer (2nd Lt at first) over a 25 enlisted M113 unit (part of 7th Company, 43rd Infantry Battalion). Left Army at age 50 as a 1st Lt. Had to turn his rifle back in, but kept his pistol at age 50.

I totally lucked out trying to find him. I found a lady with a business in the same town, same street, with the same last name. She speaks and writes German, French, and English. It turned out she was his daughter in law and lived next door to him and forwarded my message. He does German and English, so sometimes he'd write in German, "forcing" me to translate or send a photo, "making" me figure out the meaning and reporting back to him my translation or opinion. He'd then confirm or correct me.

We've been in touch for a few years now and have exchanged photos and gifts. Below is a photo of him as a 2nd Lt. See the officer's belt and buckle he's wearing...it was sent to me as a gift. He also sent me Swiss uniform arm patches to go with Swiss firearms to ID the soldier's specialties...I've mailed patches all over the earth to collectors to go with their Swiss firearms. I have photos of pages from his military record and weapons books showing he was issued the P49 by serial number, his pistol qualification scores, and when his pistol was inspected. Also have a photo of tanks in his first unit as a mechanic.

6EB503C3-D572-4761-AA43-CD6FDB5C187F_1_201_a.jpeg
    AD86E862-012A-45AE-AFD1-DEA88DF9440D.jpeg
    340631B4-8F7B-42E0-B2E2-53F521D49BB4_1_105_c.jpeg

Driver's specialty arm patch that goes with the K1911
    D1E42016-E988-41A7-A197-4583EB48308F_1_105_c.jpeg

Maintenance officer collar patch worn by the officer...can be seen in the above photo of him.
    46F7DBEB-F693-4CD5-A99C-9693D3ADC765_1_105_c.jpeg

Shoulder boards worn by the officer that designates his rank, company, and unit. Green with 43 = 43th Infantry Battalion. Purple = 7th company (supply, maintenance, transport). 2 gold stripes = 1st Lt.

59F6009E-FA3D-4D61-BA98-0E5483CF6869_1_105_c.jpeg

His P49

A988F8B8-2CBC-41FB-874A-F42D2C9B7487_1_105_c.jpeg

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Very True! While I've posted some of this years ago, I'm posting again, as some may have not seen it. I have more, but this is enough for now.

Here's the tag from my K1911. Issued to: ANDRE’ DUPERTUIS BORN IN 1908 FROM LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND, DRIVER, 36th AUTO DETACHMENT
    I've been in touch with his grandson who now lives in Wyoming. His grandfather always asked people he knew to call him "Andy". Someday when I can no longer take care of the carbine, it will be sent to his grandson. The carbine is in VERY nice condition, possibly because Andre' was a driver, not a infantry soldier.

View attachment 272507 View attachment 272508

Here's the tag from the P49 (Army version of the SIG P210) pistol issued to: Jürg Keller who lives at Ruchacherstrasse, CH-8914, Aeugst, Switzerland. The 01/7600841 was his phone number. Enlisted as tank mechanic and issued a rifle and pistol in 1964. Turned rifle and pistol in and issued this pistol and another rifle when he went to officer school in 1966. Then he was the officer (2nd Lt at first) over a 25 enlisted M113 unit (part of 7th Company, 43rd Infantry Battalion). Left Army at age 50 as a 1st Lt. Had to turn his rifle back in, but kept his pistol at age 50.

I totally lucked out trying to find him. I found a lady with a business in the same town, same street, with the same last name. She speaks and writes German, French, and English. It turned out she was his daughter in law and lived next door to him and forwarded my message. He does German and English, so sometimes he'd write in German, "forcing" me to translate or send a photo, "making" me figure out the meaning and reporting back to him my translation or opinion. He'd then confirm or correct me.

We've been in touch for a few years now and have exchanged photos and gifts. Below is a photo of him as a 2nd Lt. See the officer's belt and buckle he's wearing...it was sent to me as a gift. He also sent me Swiss uniform arm patches to go with Swiss firearms to ID the soldier's specialties...I've mailed patches all over the earth to collectors to go with their Swiss firearms. I have photos of pages from his military record and weapons books showing he was issued the P49 by serial number, his pistol qualification scores, and when his pistol was inspected. Also have a photo of tanks in his first unit as a mechanic.

View attachment 272509 View attachment 272510 View attachment 272512

View attachment 272513

Maintenance officer collar patch worn by the officer...can be seen in the above photo of him.
    View attachment 272514

Shoulder boards worn by the officer that designates his rank, company, and unit. Green with 43 = 43th Infantry Battalion. Purple = 7th company (supply, maintenance, transport). 2 gold stripes = 1st Lt.

View attachment 272515

His P49

View attachment 272517
    I like the personnel history you collect with your guns. Like Dale Crabtree, he had allot of Japanese individual items to show and was knowledgeable about.

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

View attachment 272507 View attachment 272508

View attachment 272509 View attachment 272510 View attachment 272512

View attachment 272513

View attachment 272514

View attachment 272515

His P49

View attachment 272517
    Thanks for sharing this. The interconnectedness is astounding and your diligence in finding these folks is great. So many times we hear someone say if only their gun could talk, the stories they could tell. Well, you've made yours come alive. Thanks bud.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 8.46.03 AM.png

After the family went to bed, I worked out and sorted a bunch of Brass that I had cleaned last week.

I might have to start selling the calibers I dont reload - or take them to the scrapyard.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Since my Swiss photos were so well received, here’s a few more:

1st Lt kepi

IMG_0199.jpeg

Officer’s Dolch Mit Schlagband

IMG_0202.jpeg

Lastly a collar patch of the Engineer Destruction Corps…blow up bridges, block roads, etc to slow down the enemy advance. I thought the symbols on the patch made sense and it’s just a neat looking patch. Bonus…it goes with my K11 from the 15th Destruction Detachment.

IMG_0203.jpeg

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I re-parkerized someparts (mag, nose cap and barrel band) of my Indian enfield No.1Mk3. The previous parkerizing was a gray color. I wanted a black color of parkerizing. I don't have before pictures. Just the after pictures below.
    The magazine came out very well. The nose cap and barrel band had some uneven color. I may accidentally touched them with oil on my hands before parkerizing.
    IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Why did you mix them together? Did you need practice sorting bullets?
    It’s more tiring as I’m constantly moving my arms, but by using two molds I fill one up while the other cools and the lead solidifies. As fast as I set one down to cool, the other is ready to open, drop the bullets and cast again with. Don’t have room for two separate pans, so I dump all into one pan. Otherwise with one mold you have to wait 15-20 seconds for it to cool between casts, but it is more relaxing casting slow.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Got to handle the new Remington 700 6.5CM LR...looks like the first 3 of the action numbers are RMR...only one letter in the date code position...only MFG info and caliber on the barrel...no warning label

PV is running free Haz-Mat today so I got all the GOEX I need ordered.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So this may surprise everyone. I have a gun problem. My wife tells me, I have many other problems but she also aggress with my gun problem. Like a guns anonymous meeting (Glad those don't really exist) I want to share my problem here with everyone. I have a few (actual numbers are in the dozens) ARs and AR uppers of different calibers and It can be difficult to determine the caliber. Looking for barrel caliber marks partially hidden by hand-guards, gas tubes, piston rods and the light isn't always the best. Finding and reading the caliber isn't easy. Then at the range you discover, the 300AAC ammo doesn't fit the 556 barreled AR you brought. Now it's a sad day. My remedy is to put a distinctive flash-hider on my 300AAC ARs. Now they are readily identifiable as 300AAC. The 556 barrels have the bird cage type flash-hidden.
    IMG_1347.JPG

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    So this may surprise everyone. I have a gun problem. My wife tells me, I have many other problems but she also aggress with my gun problem. Like a guns anonymous meeting (Glad those don't really exist) I want to share my problem here with everyone. I have a few (actual numbers are in the dozens) ARs and AR uppers of different calibers and It can be difficult to determine the caliber. Looking for barrel caliber marks partially hidden by hand-guards, gas tubes, piston rods and the light isn't always the best. Finding and reading the caliber isn't easy. Then at the range you discover, the 300AAC ammo doesn't fit the 556 barreled AR you brought. Now it's a sad day. My remedy is to put a distinctive flash-hider on my 300AAC ARs. Now they are readily identifiable as 300AAC. The 556 barrels have the bird cage type flash-hidden. View attachment 273048
    I thank the Lord I resisted ARs most of my life! I was content with my mini-14, Sig 556, HK 93 and SL6. Now that I've finally given in, I think I'm up to 8?? I've resorted to using laser etched dust port covers and the rubber caliber designation bands on my magazines. My 308s are the only 2 that are duplicate caliber, one rifle & 1-13.5" pistol. IDK why I've resisted the 300, probably because I have a nice stash of 7.62x39 subsonic, but I might need to build just one more...

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    In the past 25 hours, I have made changes to a couple of my SIG pistols. I had a LEUPOLD DPP (FDE) sitting on top of my P320 XFIVE DH3 for the past 15 months and have not been completely satisfied with the setup since I could not co-witness. A couple days ago, I ordered a ROMEO1PRO in FDE to replace the DPP. While waiting for the ROMEO1PRO, I removed the black DPP I had on a P320 M17 and installed the FDE DPP on it. I had to change over the Galloway Precision rear sight insert that was on the black DPP. This morning, the new FDE ROMEO1PRO came and I immediately mounted it on the DH3. I am happy now. Both pistols now look and function like they should.

Resized_20240224_112539.jpg

Resized_20240224_112545.jpg
    Resized_20240224_112624.jpg

Resized_20240224_112348.jpg
    Resized_20240224_112353.jpg

Top Bottom