• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm shooting a 308 this year for deer season I sighted my scope in with a 150 grain bullet think I should go up?

What would you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Should be plenty for the German Shepherd s they have running around in the woods down here. As long as your gun likes it of course

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    depends on your rifling's twist ratio...... .308 rifles I have (1:10) prefer 165-168gr handloaded projectiles for touching groups out to 100yrds.
    but please keep in mind, no 2 similar barrels, firearms...much less operators, are the same, even if there specs are identicle.
    if you like the 150's, then your set !!! go get that whitetail !!!! :rockon:

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    150's are plenty for our deer here in FL, the construction of the bullet is more important but the 308 will certainly be enough in almost any weight. All depends on the bullet selected and how you are grouping

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    all my groupings were in about a 1 1/2" shooting from a sled when I was sighting it in at 100 yards but I knew I would need to go back out and do it again if I changed weight

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1 1/2 from a sled will open up in the field. You might try other ammo and see what your gun likes or tighten up that group..I have no idea of what gun and its set up is so not much help sorry

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a weatherby vanguard with a 1:10 twist
    4X10x44 bushnell sportsman

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bolt action. And really I am going to be hunting inside of 100 yards.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    While a handloaded 250gr coming out of my 308Win(bolt gun)would "probably" kill the huge deer that we encounter here in the Flah-Dah pan-holder,I have chosen the 130gr Barnes TSX for my needs. I download it somewhat for the reduced recoil and the trajectory's are still fairly flat out to the possible deer sighting ranges of where I normally hunt.

Another choice to consider would be the Barnes 110gr TSX or the TTSX simply for the ballistics,penetration,and the kill'ability factor. My 130gr bullets are coming out of my 16.5" 308Win at 2800fps and will load down the 110's to approximately 2700-2750fps.

While I have chosen to go with the lower weight bullets in the .308" I can certainly almost/kinda understand if some want to shoot a bullet of the >149gr weights at a 90lb deer. BTW the 110's and 130's(Barnes TSX and TTSX) will slam hogs of the >200lb weights all day long so it "most likely" will work on the deer. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    168 gr Hornady SST out of a 20" browning bar shorttrack. Most shots are 150 yards, but I killed on last year at 330...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I used my 30-06 I would only use 150 gr bullets for deer. I would either use 150 gr SSTs and when Hornady quit making their Custom line in that offering I went to Hornady's American Whitetail line which is loaded with 150gr interlock bullet. I have yet had a deer run farther than 40 yards. Most were either bang flop or would take about 4 steps and fall over. Both of those bullets did the same thing, they would blow up the insides and I would never get and exit hole. One thing I did notice when I finally shot some deer over 75 to 100 yards is I started to get exit holes and those exit holes were about the size of my fist. Farthest one was right over 200 yards last year. I prefer for my bullet to dump all it's energy inside the animal and those are the results I have gotten. I have also used a 270 in 130 gr with the same bullets and have experienced the same results and my dad shoots the same setup in his 270 and those have been his results to. Also all the bucks I have shot in Florida have yet to break over 110lbs. I shot and 8pt last year that was a very respectable deer for the panhandle and he only weighed 100lbs. Your set up is more than enough for whitetail deer in North America. Even shooting that group of an 1 1/2 inches is still a good group to successfully harvest deer and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one out to 300 yards with that setup. There have been hundred of thousands of deer fall to the very setup you are using. As long as you do your part that deer will be done.

Last edited:

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If I were to downsize and start shooting a 308 again it would have to be 168 gr Hornady SST since it seems to be the perfect balance for either a 1 in 12 or 1 in 10 twist barrel. My old Rem 600 could drop 17 in the same hole at 100 yards...did it more than once :). Can't remember why I sold that rifle but don't really miss it or the matching 243 that the kids used. I shoot a 45-70 Browning Hi-Wall Traditional Hunter with 480gr Whitworths at about 1200 fps. Some days when the deviation in velocity is a hair low you can hear it spinning on it's way there and you always hear it arrive lol. Sighted in (barrel sights) at 100 yards they drop 26" at 200yds and 84" at 300yds lmao but that ain't too bad. The tang sight makes up for that with a 300yd zero and allows her to stretch her legs if need be. I wish you luck and safe hunting.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hunt in Oklahoma. Some of the bucks field-dress 200 lbs. I shoot 180 core locs out of my 30-06. Same bullet (same zero) for either deer or elk. Penetrates broadside through deer at all distances. Through elk at over 150yds. I think the 180s hit notice-ably harder than the 150s. It will knock a deer sideways. No mystery about whether you hit or not.

Top Bottom