• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doekiller77

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My father was a DI in the marines he love to shoot when i was a kid with my older brothers and i Miss that man

Member 92

I am the 2%
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got started the same way, PA mountains shooting bows when I was 5. Hunting is a way of life up there. Had an uncle who is a gun nut and then shotguns, deer rifles, pistols, ak's, ar's, and addiction ensued. They hook you young.

PJOHNB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Years ago i bought my first one for self defence,after that it was love at fist pull of the trigger.Just got my first AR last week and love it"thanks to miami matt" .My wife used to complain every time i spent money on one but now the house rule is i get a gun she gets a coach oh well small price to pay.AKA Tugboat from PFF

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Grew up very hungry and poor in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains after my dad ran out on my 16 YO mom and me

if you didn't shoot , trap or catch something to eat that day , you didn't eat. Marksmanship became the most necessary skill i learned

benchrest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    got started with a red ryder bb gun where i quickly got into big game hunting at age 5. soon after that i had quite a collection of dead lizards and roaches in my dangerous game portfolio. after about3 years and 90 billion rounds the cocking lever fell down and i wondered what would happen if i shot it like that. well after i finished bending it around a oak tree i went and got 2 casts on my fingers and that ended my shooting until i reached an early teen then inherited a bolt action marlin 12 gauge goose gun. i let a friend shoot it and then we had a shooting team. now i have quite a collection like everybody and started shooting competition benchrest a few years ago and now that consumes most of my shooting. after u get good enough to start winning then u will be hooked with no hope of ever returning to sloppy groups again. a fair warning to anyone reading this, once u start down the road on your quest for accuracy it is extremely addicting as ive seen for years now.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I literally cut my teeth on a .38 spl. Mom said guard at the hospital would unload and let me gnaw on the barrel while in with asthma as an infant. Had an Uncle who was a gun nut, and he made sure the fever took!

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What got me into guns at an early age was the neighbors cats and thier casual sexual encounters under the bedroom window at 3:00 in the morning.

Ranger19

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Uncle Sam got me started, then when I gotout they took it bqck. But I was hooked. My Wife and I recently moved into a new Home and after a couple of
    day's moving our youngest Son say,s Mom I aintmoving no more Guns. The Pensacola shooting club north of Cantonment has matches.

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought my first gun, a 410 single shot when i was 12. Worked on the farms in Barrineau Park picking up roots, hauling hay and etc to pay for it. Back then there was no posted land and plenty of quail, squirrels. When I wasn't working I was harassing the wildlife. Been addicted ever since.

Oldshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In 1965 about a week after moving into a new home a neighbor saw someone entering my basement window around midnight. I called the police, put my wife in the far corner of the bedroom with a claw hammer and and locked the bedroom door that our two small children were sleeping in. I the stood at the door from the basement with a long barbeque for waiting for the door from the basement door to open. With sirens blairing I heard a mans voice yell out - Get out of here. As dogs barked as they ran through the neighborhood, The police were there. The next day I bought a 22 magnum rifle. New York you can't go buy a handgun.

T

tinman

Got my first gun (M&P9) a few weeks ago, but not sure what the trigger was (pardon the pun).

Felt very uncomfortable loading some camera gear one night at the beginning of this year, watched far too many programmes on tv about home invasions, and then watched one programme about some chap working on a house and when he left to go home, got held up by two thugs who shot him. Well, I do work in houses on my own and that was about the last straw really. I don't want to be a statistic no matter how small the chance.

But what I've discovered since is that I love trying to shoot with accuracy (I'm not half bad in my opinion), and a 22A will be next on my list.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Dad used to bring his Remington 550-1 with him in his company car while going here and there for Continental Emsco (oilfield). On days that I wasn't in school or my Mom had things to do, he'd take me with him. When we finished whatever chore assigned to him, he'd slide that remington out of the case and we'd plink cans. I was about 7. When I was 9 he gave me a Daisy pump bb gun. I was devastating on blue jays and sparrows. My Dad caught me one day and made me pluck the bird and my Mom cooked it and I was made to eat it. It wasn't bad, but that stopped the kill-and-not-eat. I got a Winchester single shot 16 ga for Christmas of my 12th year and I hunted rabbit, squirrel, and in season, dove. We joined a dove club when I was 14, and I got to hunt with retired FBI agents, game wardens, the county Sheriff, doctors, etc. That morphed into duck hunting with decoys, and finally deer hunting. I killed my first buck at age 34. Some of my gun buys have been impulsive, but most have been "need based". I love shooting rifles and scored "best in batallion" in ROTC in H.S.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like a few people mentioned already, my first gun was a Daisy Red Rider BB gun, I guess when I was around 8. Moved up to 22 rifle and squirrel hunting on my grandparent's farm, and loved to plink cans with it. Then 20 ga., then Browning 12 ga. as a teen. Moved overseas after college and couldn't take any firearms, but got an SKS when I moved back to the US. Currently working on putting together an AR. I guess growing up with guns in the house it was an odd feeling when I didn't have one--will NEVER live that way again!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess I could consider myself a Business shooter who brought his work home. Was a city boy and only shot a few times with the PAL (Police Athletic League), I don't know if they still have them around. It was mostly sports stuff but once or twice a year we would go an a bus to the police range. You walk up to the firing line and some cop would hand you a .38 revolver and say something like "Point it down there and don't kill anybody, start pulling the trigger kid." So much for instruction and safety brief. Loud (no ears or eye stuff back then). Fun, but I wasn't hooked yet. Joined the Corps and in Boot was scared to death. Took every word that was said like it was coming from the burning bush! Took the Big Stick (not the Mattel) everywhere! In the third month of training we went to the range. We spent four full days just practicing firing positions and pointing at dots and dog targets painted on 55 gallon drums. First day AM shooting was poor, but after some not so gentle verbal and physical re-positioning by the DI's and Primary Marksmanship Inst. I started really dinging them and by the end of the week I was the platoon high shooter but well below the range record. The seed was planted. I enjoy shooting cans and dirt clods as much as chasing the Bull though my focus on all aspects of every shot are higher on the latter. I have done my share of spray and pray but rapid fire is not my thing. Timed fire is fine. First round from a cold barrel in the XX ring is my passion. I have never seen a functioning gun I wouldn't shoot and there is no gun I wouldn't buy if the price was right. If its ugly and jams and $50 I'll buy it just to tinker with it, maybe pass it along later.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom