• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once upon a time everyone Loved the .357 Mag. LEO's got cheap .38 Special loads and wheei-guns we're the order of the day. Then along came the double stack semiauto's and that low cost .38 Special ammo went away. Is anyone even carrying a .357 Mag while hunting? Once such a Darling, is the .357 Mag going the way of the Dinosaurs?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Once upon a time everyone Loved the .357 Mag. LEO's got cheap .38 Special loads and wheei-guns we're the order of the day. Then along came the double stack semiauto's and that low cost .38 Special ammo went away. Is anyone even carrying a .357 Mag while hunting? Once such a Darling, is the .357 Mag going the way of the Dinosaurs?

It's still around, hanging out with the likes of .44 Magnum and 10mm innawoods. It's also still one of the most effective handgun rounds available for two legged critters. I had a .357 for a while for woods excursions. It has since been replaced, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one again for that purpose. For the street, personally I feel there are more sensible options available (I'm sure some would disagree).

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like the .357 Mag is extinct even in your sidearms locker? Perhaps there are still a few folks keeping it alive in revolver/lever action carbine combos???

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in the day (mid to late 90’s) I carried a Smith & Wesson stainless hammer less 357 as my backup. At the time I figured that I wanted my last rounds to mean something. I’ve still got it. Haven’t carried it in years. It feels like a boat anchor compared to modern polymer pistols.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in the day (mid to late 90’s) I carried a Smith & Wesson stainless hammer less 357 as my backup. At the time I figured that I wanted my last rounds to mean something. I’ve still got it. Haven’t carried it in years. It feels like a boat anchor compared to modern polymer pistols.
    Sounds like both my .357s, rusting (OPPs, resting in peace) in the sidearms locker.It takes a concerted effort to send a few rounds out of them downrange every couple of years.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Still keep a .38 around and a Ruger Speed Six .357. I have always thought a nice revolver is a thing of art. Now I prefer to carry a Glock. But I will never lose my love for revolvers.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    9mm is bettah... i love .357 and carry either a 686+ snub or my old 4" 586 when out to my property. edc, the wheel-gun has no place in my inventory. i do own a bunch, shoot and love them but a modern, high capacity compact 9mm is awfully hard to beat... in some cases even ballistics wise. capacity rules the day currently. imho, .41mag, .357mag, .38 super and the like will NEVER die, but will continue on with cult like followers like myself.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 357/38 special is alive and well, If you don't think so just post one for sale at a decent price and see how long it stays. This is my combo and accompanies me on fence mending duties around the property often. They are both accurate enough to make head shots on squirrel And powerful enough for anything including deer
    20221018_090623.jpg
    at reasonable range.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    among others i carry a fnx 45 plenty of bullets for urban environment where you cant use suppressive fire
    but 9mm is okay I hope more people carry it
    but a snub nose .38 will get the job done up close

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The 357/38 special is alive and well, If you don't think so just post one for sale at a decent price and see how long it stays. This is my combo and accompanies me on fence mending duties around the property often. They are both accurate enough to make head shots on squirrel And powerful enough for anything including deer View attachment 189569 at reasonable range.

Some .357 loads creep toward .30-30 territory out of a 16" rifle. It's definitely a great round - just not something I'd likely EDC out and about in town.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Some .357 loads creep toward .30-30 territory out of a 16" rifle. It's definitely a great round - just not something I'd likely EDC out and about in town.

I cc a 16” barrel 357. I have to walk with a limp and wear Velcro rip away pants.

I am just waiting to need it and I’m gonna pull the old line from Blazin saddles.

“Excuse me while I whip this thing out”

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well if you arent going to use them I might buy or trade one from yall
    I've already parted with the Expendables. Dad's Old 586 L-frame S&W failed while he was on duty, S&W performed their mod on it. It now has a "M" stamped prior to the serial but I don't sell/trade firearms that I know have failed in the line of duty. It is regulated to paper punching on the one way range ONLY. That just leaves the Dawn Wesson with 4 & 6 inch barrels, I'll be keeping that one as it is the most accurate.357 Mag revolver I've ever laid my hands on. Not to mention it cleans up well since the barrels come out which allows for easy maintenance from the chamber to the muzzle. So it's the most functional.357 Dinosaur I can own. Although it ain't been in a holster since I got the L-frame .44 Mag S&W model 69 for a hunting sidekick as a secondary firearm.

Attachments

• 4 revolvers.jpg
      4 revolvers.jpg
      125.8 KB · Views: 42

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cc a 16” barrel 357. I have to walk with a limp and wear Velcro rip away pants.

I am just waiting to need it and I’m gonna pull the old line from Blazin saddles.

“Excuse me while I whip this thing out”
    Got the same problem with my gun, but it only fires blanks nowadays. LOL, LOLROF. Wish I could give you multiple likes for that one Duckyou. BZ.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom