• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer digital because they are easier and faster to read for me.. I'm using the Frankford Arsenal cheapos but not sure I would recommend them. They seem accurate and repeatable but they eat batteries. Now and then they start flashing and give crazy readings. Teking the battery out for a minute fixes them but in general they are a PITA. Most all of the $20-$30 calipers are the exact same ones with different labels. Read the reviews at MidwayUSA. Many people have the same complaints.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/60...aliper-6-stainless-steel?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like John, I use the frankford arsenal el cheepo, but I turn off the light as soon as it comes on. I need to change batteries. The ones in it are 3 years old. I also use a cheap digital caliper, but it's dead on.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I personally like my Mititoyo dial calipers. I managed to pick them up on craigslist for like $15. I've never used a set of electronics, so I can't compare them.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Vernier dial caliper with Dillon stamp. Like JohnAl said, probably same as others but with different label. Don't like battery stuff too much.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have both on hand. I have the Hornady 6" Dial caliper and that prompted me to search for a better digital caliper.

My search led me here.
    http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00INL0BTS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1421014423&sr=1-1&keywords=igaging+digital+caliper

The caliper is only $39.99 and has a very extensive review/round-up in the Customer Review section, Comparing them to the $100 Mititoyo.

In the round-up the reviewer explains some basics of caliper quality and shows some examples of what to look for.

Here's a link to the YouTube video that is also in the amazon review. Run time; just shy of 10 mins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqZx_FNbSs

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up Performance Tool digital calipers from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $19.99 plus tax and they have worked great for me.

NCTransplant

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used calipers for work my entire adult life. If cheap ones serve your uses, go for it. But if you want real accuracy, which I assume you do or you would be using a tape measurer, spend the cash. Try SPI, fair quality, fair price. Want the best, brown and sharp. IMO.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the Harbor Freight dial caliper and it works fine for me. I have only been loading 9mm so far though.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use the cheap digital Frankford Arsenal also but have learned to take the battery out when I am not using it. My next set will be of a little bit higher quality.

Idoono

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i have been using a wooden yard stick,that i got for free,from Reynolds Hardware some years ago. i find that it is close enough for my reloaded ammo that i cull out and sell to people that i do not like over on PFF.

actually it is a FA for me also. however ....... i actually hit the OFF button after every use and the batt life has been great. checking it with my Brown & Sharpe vernier calipers,it is within .001" and most of the time,closer than that as checked with my micrometer.

also,allow me to add ...... don't worry about the accuracy of your vernier calipers too much if you do not own a bullet runout(concentricity)gauge. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Older Craftsman Stainless dial indicator on the bench.
    Older RCBS Stainless dial indicator in range bag.
    Older Lyman plastic dial indicator (Swiss made) I like as it has a mm scale on the shaft and in on the dial.

All easy to use, no batteries.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So there is a mix of analog an digital people. Just wanted to hear from the masses on there thoughts. Thank you to all for your input on the matter. Sawman can use that yard stick to check my piece of string with knots? I've been using this for my critical c.o.a.l.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok...funny this subject being calipers. Since I don't build guns like JJ, I can get away with some basic HF el Cheapos.....all I care about is measuring bullets since I started to reload, both diameter of bullet and the OAL. Now at work, that's a bit different. Working on a $60 million C-130J...you tend to be more concerned with measurements. Now in all fairness, that's actually left to the machinist, I'm just a sheet-metal mech. The analog H&H ip calipers I use probably cost around $100, of course the USAF probably paid $500 for them. They have .001 tolerance. What separates my work calipers from what most of us use every now and then is the calibration program we have to use. Every 24 months all close tolerance tools have to be certified, and our QA does come by and check this every so often to keep us on the ball

workcalipers1.jpg

workcalipers2.jpg

Attachments

• workcalipers1.jpg
      workcalipers1.jpg
      123.1 KB · Views: 60
    • workcalipers2.jpg
      workcalipers2.jpg
      109.6 KB · Views: 58
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom