Target Sports

What are the bigger guys here rolling AIWB for holsters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    So, covid and parenting has left me a bit, er, um, how you say... chubby. I have the Dad bod but am thinking on transitioning over to AIWB. Bigger gun, faster presentation etc. What are you guys running? Not calling anyone here chubby, just tactically robust. Let me know before I waste money on something that will only wind in the holster bin... thanks all!

RustedBolt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I went that route and came back to 4/4:30 IWB. I know that some folks have concerns about shooting off their junk, but I never had that...being hung like a stud field mouse, the odds are better for me to get hit by a meteor. I tried two options: Urban Carry (model fits my old G19 and my new Shield) and Tier 1 (for Shield). Neither are "cheap" holsters.

The Urban Carry requires quite a bit of practice to get a reliable draw AND the right clothing. I found you still need to clear the garments to clear the holster or you won't get a reliable grip to deploy. The Tier 1 (did the little one without the mag pouch) was better for deployment, but very uncomfortable to wear, especially when driving.

I practiced quite a bit with both, and neither was effective for me. I went back to CrossBreed holsters and 4/4:30.

bigken

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Fat guy holster is decent.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I have a tier one appendix with a claw but carry it at 4. Nice and tight. Very concealed even with a short shirt unless I put my hands over my head.
    I can't carry in the front. Too much junk. Upper and lower. Lol

Bugsy36

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No mincing of words......As a fat guy, I have always worried about 2 things. The obvious is hitting an artery but the second reason is to protect the tool in the event of an altercation. Much easier to cover at 3-4 o'clock. "I" prefer a high riding OWB (Galco Fletch or Combat Master my favorites, as well as Desantis equivalents). When IWB I go 3-4 and to really conceal SOB. Mind you, for three decades I was sporting a 1911

365 with 10-rd mag changed a lot for me because it fits in suit or shorts pockets with minimal to zero print and still protected from others but still very close by.

I like the softness of leather but what really matters is what is comfortable for you. Our largest LGS has a huge selection of leather and "plastic" (no offense to anyone) and they allow you to try it. That is your best bet IMO. Only took me about 20 years to figure out what I liked. LOL

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Galco lite shoulder holster. Rackinray hooked me up with one. Iwb holsters suck.
    Works well in Florida, where fat guys, skinny guys, and lots of others wear fishing shirts un-tucked and open over tee shirts. Best for sitting, driving, and easy to draw from with a little practice.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    So, covid and parenting has left me a bit, er, um, how you say... chubby. I have the Dad bod but am thinking on transitioning over to AIWB. Bigger gun, faster presentation etc. What are you guys running? Not calling anyone here chubby, just tactically robust. Let me know before I waste money on something that will only wind in the holster bin... thanks all!
    Transition to cargo pocket pants and get it off the waist altogether. If you're set on AIWB, get front pleated khaki slacks. They help hide anything that prints thru the pants. If anybody is so worried about shooting themselves, then dont carry with a loaded chamber and train to rack the slide upon presentation. Or find a pistol with a manual safety or a super heavy trigger (neither of which is on a Glock, so.... that should tell you something about how far away from "perfection" those designs are).

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Transition to cargo pocket pants and get it off the waist altogether. If you're set on AIWB, get front pleated khaki slacks. They help hide anything that prints thru the pants. If anybody is so worried about shooting themselves, then dont carry with a loaded chamber and train to rack the slide upon presentation. Or find a pistol with a manual safety or a super heavy trigger (neither of which is on a Glock, so.... that should tell you something about how far away from "perfection" those designs are).
    I know I'm biased toward "perfection", but that doesn't mean I'm wrong either, lmao

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Pretty close to perfection as I would hate all of that on a carry gun.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I'll add that I carry IWB every day and Glock is my chosen platform. Specifically the G45. I'm just thinking AIWB is a faster mode and more efficient on draw stroke.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'll add that I carry IWB every day and Glock is my chosen platform. Specifically the G45. I'm just thinking AIWB is a faster mode and more efficient on draw stroke.
    I can't carry my 45. I don't even like carrying 365 but it's as small of a footprint as you can get. Miss carrying lcp/bodyguard. Put it in swim trunks and go, and I still do from time to time.
    I know there are guys that carry 6 inch 1911s. Just not for me.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Im not Tacticly Chunky, but im not as fit as I was in college. I use Trex Arms Sidecars for my Glocks or Sig. If you want to try one for a week or so just DM me. :)

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Im not Tacticly Chunky, but im not as fit as I was in college. I use Trex Arms Sidecars for my Glocks or Sig. If you want to try one for a week or so just DM me. :)
    might take you up on that Longtooth. better than shelling out a hunnit bucks to find out i don't like it! i'll pm ya my info, thanks!!

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’m not a skinny man. Vedder has been great for me AIWB. Added benefit not being a sidecar I can rock it at 9 when I want as well. I did have to put a taller claw on, as the stock vedder one was a tad short. Otherwise I couldn’t be happier. Been aiwb about a year now. About 75% aiwb nowadays. No prob at all hiding a P07 or a Glock 19. Oh Dara holster is the one I use with 19. Also great but that one is for a light and honestly just go for the comfort of no light most of the time. Either holster def would reccomend though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was curious to try appendix carry but I am a tightwad. JWLineman was selling a Dark Star Gear holster for a good price so I picked it up for a M&P I own. While talking he mentioned that he thinks a longer gun is easier for him to carry than a shorter gun. I was surprised how well it carried. I picked up a CZ P-07 to start carrying appendix due to the added safety of being hammer fired. I bought a BraDec holster off eBay for it and my 365. The BraDec was cheap but has no height adjustment. Of my small sample size the Dark Star is the most comfortable appendix carry I own although it lives in the safe. I agree with JW that the bigger guns seem to be more comfortable to carry than the 365. Side note, the Dark Star was trimmed to accommodate an optic.
    1192C4D5-508A-46EA-A186-B608095BF095.jpeg
    397DD257-0EA8-453A-B2E5-CCBB62182897.jpeg

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    What's the one on the bottom murf? I like the wide claw. Really pulls the grip in for better concealment.

Top Bottom