• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman put out some of his magic sauce to lure this big boy out of the swamp to the feeder. He has a date soon with a 300 blackout round.....let's see if we can get him down. We also been seeing a few sows and piglets. Soon very soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 236

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 225

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That juice of mine works great. Lucky that I have a "patent pending". You got him first on film about two days after we put it on the lower shrubs at the edges of the opening. Glad that he is still hanging around. Gotta really watch where that "hog bomb" gets squirted. Got some on Bruce a couple of years ago and now his hair has turned white.

Roll bbl comes out next along with some smelly stuff inside. Plus the phd(post hole digger)gets some usage. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I can't really tell the difference until AFTER they are dead.

Bruce,come on here and tell him the difference between a "hog" and a "pig". Watch out for Bruce,he is pretty fanatical about that stuff. "Sounder" and "heard" is another one of his hang-ups. So is "girl pig" and "boy pig"

I'm just startin' to get him trained and now he goes crazy on this stuff. --- SAWMAN

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shot this one several years ago with a 17hmr at 70 yards hit him right between the eyes but that just paralyzed him long enough to walk up and put a finishing shot in the head. MVC-004F.JPG and this one stepped out on a patch while deer hunting, no one knew we had him on the lease. IMG_0146.jpg

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
      MVC-001F.JPG
      75.5 KB · Views: 168
    • IMG_0146.jpg
      IMG_0146.jpg
      835.5 KB · Views: 193
    • MVC-004F.JPG
      MVC-004F.JPG
      72.4 KB · Views: 181
    Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Ya gotta watch the words you use with Sawman, lest he go "whole hog" on you. He will correct me if wrong.

"Pig" refers to domesticated (Sus scrofa domesticus).

"Hog" refers to wild (Sus scrofa). You can see some terms overlap. For example: "hog" could be used to refer to any wild Sus scrofa regardless of age or status or gender.

Hogs can be found in family groups called "sounders". Sounders are led by a dominant sow and will consists of 2 or more sows, piglets, shoats. There will sometimes be some adult boars that will hang around the edge of the sounder or follow the sounder, but generally don't get into the center of the sounder. The dominant sow will not necessarily be the biggest sow, but she is in charge and determines where the sounder goes and when it moves or stops for eating. Kill the dominant sow and confusion can reign...hogs may hesitate to run and may not immediately know where to run.

"Shoat" - a weaned pig or hog.

"Piglet" - smallest of all pigs or hogs/newborn. I believe some call them "footballs" due to their size.

"Sow" - female that has reproduced.

"Gilt" - female that has not reproduced (some say "sow" for both sows and gilts just to identify the sex).

"Boar" - mature male

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    See ..... I told you he was crazy. I once spotted a huge boar hog in a peanut field. It was Bruces turn to shoot. I wispered to Bruce. "There is a boy pig over there". He refused to shoot until I used the correct termanology. The boar hog got away clean after poseing long enough for this picture. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
      imagejpeg_0.jpg
      120.4 KB · Views: 148

Espo16

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Swine – A generic term for all pigs, hogs, etc.

Gilt – A young female swine, generally under 12 months of age, who has not yet farrowed.

Sow – A mature female swine, generally 10+ months of age, who has farrowed at least one litter.

Boar – An intact male swine.

Barrow – A castrated male swine.

Pig – A very young swine. In layman’s terms this would be a “piglet” but that term is rarely used by producers. Can also be a term of endearment for older swine. “She’s a good ‘ol pig.”

Hog – An older swine, usually over about 120 pounds live weight.

Shoat – A young swine, usually between weaning and about 120 pounds live weight.

Weaner – A young swine at and during the point of weaning.

Feeder – A young swine usually between 40 and 70 pounds live weight that is being sold, bought, or held to be fed out to market weight.

Finisher – An older swine, usually over about 150 pounds live weight; one that is in the finishing stage of its growth, nearing market weight.

Market Hog – A hog that’s ready to be processed into pork or sent “to market”. The ideal market weight for hogs changes with pork demand and industry technology (among other things.) Usually market hogs weigh between 230 and 270 pounds live.

Bred – Pregnant. Usually used to preface the appropriate word for a particular female swine. “Bred Gilt” or “Bred Sow”, depending on her age and stage of life.

Open – Used to preface the appropriate term to refer to a female swine that is not currently bred. “Open Gilt” or “Open Sow”, for example.

Farrow – As a noun it refers to a litter of newborn pigs, as a verb it is used to describe the act of giving birth.

Sent from the tree stand....

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Swine – A generic term for all pigs, hogs, etc.

Gilt – A young female swine, generally under 12 months of age, who has not yet farrowed.

Sow – A mature female swine, generally 10+ months of age, who has farrowed at least one litter.

Boar – An intact male swine.

Barrow – A castrated male swine.

Pig – A very young swine. In layman’s terms this would be a “piglet” but that term is rarely used by producers. Can also be a term of endearment for older swine. “She’s a good ‘ol pig.”

Hog – An older swine, usually over about 120 pounds live weight.

Shoat – A young swine, usually between weaning and about 120 pounds live weight.

Weaner – A young swine at and during the point of weaning.

Feeder – A young swine usually between 40 and 70 pounds live weight that is being sold, bought, or held to be fed out to market weight.

Finisher – An older swine, usually over about 150 pounds live weight; one that is in the finishing stage of its growth, nearing market weight.

Market Hog – A hog that’s ready to be processed into pork or sent “to market”. The ideal market weight for hogs changes with pork demand and industry technology (among other things.) Usually market hogs weigh between 230 and 270 pounds live.

Bred – Pregnant. Usually used to preface the appropriate word for a particular female swine. “Bred Gilt” or “Bred Sow”, depending on her age and stage of life.

Open – Used to preface the appropriate term to refer to a female swine that is not currently bred. “Open Gilt” or “Open Sow”, for example.

Farrow – As a noun it refers to a litter of newborn pigs, as a verb it is used to describe the act of giving birth.

Sent from the tree stand....

SO....big fat disgusting pig is not the correct terminology for Hillary?

please advise, as I don't want to insult her with the wrong phrase...

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep Sawman 308 it is by far my favorite hunting rifle. I have taken many deer with it but it is real particular what grain bullet it likes. This one will only shoot 150 grain bullets every other grain that I tried was all over the paper. ( I don't load my own all factory rounds)

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    SAWMAN told me it wasn't ethical to hunt with factory loads. You have to load your own. Its part of the fair chase thing, he said.
    Since I respect him so much, I sat this season out until I save up enough money to buy the reloading gear.
    Looks like I may miss next year too.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, looks like a preggo sow! I bet you will have a bunch of little ones running around if she sticks around.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jerry,please let me know if you need any money for reloading gear. I have leaves to be raked,camp wood to be stacked,and a driveway that needs to be pressure washed.

Pls let me know when you can get to it. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: we had two in our sights last night ... safety off ... finger on trigger ... they turn and walk away. SHEET !!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom