• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful out in the woods or even around the house. This is apparently the most active time of year for snakes. Another forum is discussing this plus you've all seen the news about the pygmy rattler victims locally.

This morning gendoc walked up on a huge mocassin and an hour later his boy almost tangled with anotger one about a hundred yards from where the first was seen. I offered to run by Walmart to pick up a bag of clean underwear but gendoc John says Magnolia leaves work OK in a pinch. I went scouting a little on the tractor to do some real world testing of JakeC's snake shot but alas I was unlucky (or lucky) to not find any targets.

Wednesday I crossed paths with a mocassin about 2 1/2 feet long. A little later I saw a baby (I think) moc run under an old tire I had sitting next to a building at work. I kicked the tire and 3-4 more little ones went scattering.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea, I saw on the news last night that there have been a couple of snake bites in the last couple of days.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh my, how crazy. There are straight black snakes that creep around my backyard and the little creek we have. No idea if they're poisonous but I usually watch my step.

Then there was an oak snake almost bigger than me at the boyfriends. Guess they're fans of this weather. Yak.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes that's the reason I never get out of my boat in the swamp without my snakeproof boots on, have seen them real active about this time of year as well, be careful!!!!!!!

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This time of year they are recovering from shedding their skin and looking to fatten up to get thru the winter. The step-son killed a rattlesnake in his front yard that was almost 6 feet long 3 days ago. Time to be extra careful while outside even if it's just in your own yard.

schavey

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful out in the woods or even around the house. This is apparently the most active time of year for snakes. Another forum is discussing this plus you've all seen the news about the pygmy rattler victims locally.

This morning gendoc walked up on a huge mocassin and an hour later his boy almost tangled with anotger one about a hundred yards from where the first was seen. I offered to run by Walmart to pick up a bag of clean underwear but gendoc John says Magnolia leaves work OK in a pinch. I went scouting a little on the tractor to do some real world testing of JakeC's snake shot but alas I was unlucky (or lucky) to not find any targets.

Wednesday I crossed paths with a mocassin about 2 1/2 feet long. A little later I saw a baby (I think) moc run under an old tire I had sitting next to a building at work. I kicked the tire and 3-4 more little ones went scattering.

Definitely critical to be cautious. Met up with a ~5-6 foot Rattler, across the street at a neighbor's. Rattler learned the meaning of what a couple of 410 rounds can do. Carcass donated to our nearby Special Ops snake eaters, who had an initiation party for some newby troops.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean? Did I tell you about finding the baby Speckled King snake in our foyer? I have no clue how he got IN the house, but upon reflection, I think he'd been in for some time. The Duffster was going nuts one night around the baseboards in our spare bedroom. Tried to pull the carpet up, sniffing, freaking out a bit. The little pup must have smelled the snake hiding in there is all I can guess. I caught the snake and he is now quite deceased, bereft of life, shuffled off this mortal coil. I don't care if he only eats rats and such.. Outta the house Mr No Shoulders!

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've not seen one yet this year. Normally I see 3-4 moccasin by now. They sun on the road until a tire gets them :)

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hossfly you shouldn't kill Kingsnakes,they may eat rats but mostly they eat other snakes, especially rattlers.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean? Did I tell you about finding the baby Speckled King snake in our foyer? I have no clue how he got IN the house, but upon reflection, I think he'd been in for some time. The Duffster was going nuts one night around the baseboards in our spare bedroom. Tried to pull the carpet up, sniffing, freaking out a bit. The little pup must have smelled the snake hiding in there is all I can guess. I caught the snake and he is now quite deceased, bereft of life, shuffled off this mortal coil. I don't care if he only eats rats and such.. Outta the house Mr No Shoulders!

Duffy Haas, snake hunter.:hail:

My wife brought a loooonnnng rat snake in the house one night by accident. He came in a big bag of fresh picked veggies from up at Jay. I chased the sucker through the kitchen and into the study where he hid behind my computer. It wasn't that it was a harmless rat snake, it was that if I lost sight of him I wouldn't know where he was. With my luck he would crawl over me about 2:00 AM and I would have to to explain to the deputies why I shot up my bedroom.

If I had known JJ (oneshot) back then I would have called him and told him to come get his damned pet and take it back to his town.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you really paying attention?

View attachment 23606

That's what almost got me with the last rattler. Only reason I saw him was because he was moving slowly. I more sensed something than saw anything. It took a couple of seconds but I finally noticed movement. I almost stepped on him. He didn't seem to concerned so I stood back and watched him move on.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was out squirrel hunting when I was about 15 or 16. Carrying my trusty Browning lever action .22. It was squirrel season but still warm enough for snakes to be out I guess. I heard something in a bush as I walked passed it. I stopped, thinking I'd startled a squirrel, but a six foot long rattler crawled out and came right toward me. I had 15 bullets in the rifle and I started firing from a distance of about six feet. That snake never dodged and I never hit him! He crawled toward me and right between my feet, with me firing as fast as I could until I was leaning over, looking and firing between my legs, upside down! Missed every damn shot! And as he slithered into a bush behind me, he kind of looked back over what would have been his shoulder if he had one, and stuck out his tongue as if to say, "missed me bitch."

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mrs. Sj1 and I saw a BIG moccasin crossing the road, not far from our house the other day. Most of the poisonous snakes I see and shoot are copperheads, in my yard. And, I have a story similar to Hossfly72:
    I was cutting up a pecan tree for firewood, after Hurricane Ivan knocked it down. It was in a friend's yard, and they said to come and get it. I had a crappy saw at the time, and it kept binding up, and I kept having to rock the tree with a 2x4. I guess it woke up a copperhead, under the roots, and it crawled up the length of the tree, and right up between my legs! I stopped running the chain saw when I saw it, then thought twice and started it up again. The goofy thing was, as long as I was cutting the tree, the snake didn't do anything but crawl, with its head down, at a steady pace along the tree trunk. I know that snakes detect vibration to help get away from predators, I'm thinking maybe my junk Craftsman saw confused the little bugger. Whatever the reason, it was on a mission to go away, and that was fine with me. It crawled away from anything important, and I had left my .410 at home, so this one got away. The ones I see in my yard are not so lucky!

Top Bottom