• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Planning out the last 2 rifles in my collection. I don't have any AKs, they can have folding stocks (unlike my ARs) and ammo is cheap. I also saw a Ian's SWEET new AK yesterday, and it got me thinking about them again.

I used to have an M70 and it was superbly well built. The bolt stayed open after the last round. Nice and solid and dimensions to fit normal sized Americans. I loved it, but decided I needed a 458 Socom, so I traded.

I know the WASR is nowhere near as refined or accurate, which is fine. Really, I just need it to go bang every time and hit minute of zombie at 200 yards. Specifically, I'm thinking about folders since they can easily do truck gun duty. There is if course the added benefit that they are cheaper and AK prices have finally come back down.

Is it even worth it, or should I just stick with ARs and get 2 more if them? I already have mags and ammo. Then again , variety is the spice of life.

Any experiences and input are appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a WASR 10 and it ran flawless and was really accurate for an AK. As long as you get one that does not have canted front sight and mags lock tight it will do exactly what you need it to do. Every since I got rid of it, it's been back on my list to get another.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It seems like they need to be seen in person to inspect the sights and magwell.

Maybe I'll be walking around in the gunshow after next with a pmag in my hand to make sure it fits. (I'm a pmag whore), if I can get a hold of one by then.

Nice meeting you Dirty! Thanks for the wheels, hope y'all had fun and I'll take you up if we can meet at the range soon.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You do know what WASR stands for, right? But for anyone else who doesn't know: WASR stands for What A Sh*tty Rifle.

As the others said, examine for crooked front sight base and make sure the mags fit and are lock in place. I used to have one, but lost it when my house burnt a few years ago. It worked just fine.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Wassennar arrangement or whatever.
    As long as it shoots , I don't give a damn about accuracy (within realistic parameters) , I have other guns for that.
    Thanks though.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a WASR 10 and I shoot it more than my ARs. It just has a soft spot in my heart. Yeah its a cheapo AK but I love it and its never failed me.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    To coin a phrase: Mine goes bang every time I pull the trigger! And that's for a firearm I paid under $200. She ain't pretty but she sure is functional. Hey, it's an AK!

BTW, the sight was never canted and the mags fit like a glove...

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks guys , this is all really great to hear. Sounds like they could be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm really liking something like this:
    ebu2eju7.jpg

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are hit or miss as is most things that come out of Century. I bought one a few years ago cheap($100) because it wouldn't work right out of the box. I had it rebuilt by Red Jacket (prior to the show) and it runs great now.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are hit or miss as is most things that come out of Century. I bought one a few years ago cheap($100) because it wouldn't work right out of the box. I had it rebuilt by Red Jacket (prior to the show) and it runs great now.

Hmmm, I'm surprised Will would work on a WASR 10 at all. The money musta been right.....lol

Btw, This is what I did with my WASR10

And traded it for this

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmmm, I'm surprised Will would work on a WASR 10 at all. The money musta been right.....lol

Will used to work on about anything. A buddy who used to work in his shop did the work for me. Between the gun and the rebuild I have $400 into it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Will used to work on about anything. A buddy who used to work in his shop did the work for me. Between the gun and the rebuild I have $400 into it.

Great deal. Nowadays, I think $600 or so is fair if it checks all the boxes.
    Are Will and the gang still on the air?
    Used to watch it here and there for the cutie, but the idiocy and usual reality BS drama got to be a bit much. My little brother is a fan, but he's 12, lol.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great deal. Nowadays, I think $600 or so is fair if it checks all the boxes.
    Are Will and the gang still on the air?
    Used to watch it here and there for the cutie, but the idiocy and usual reality BS drama got to be a bit much. My little brother is a fan, but he's 12, lol.

I don't have cable so I don't know if they are still on TV or not, I never watched the show, the trailers always seemed to drama stricken for my tastes. Flem is a friend of mine from our AF days and he quit working for Will and opened his own shop.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey CCHGN your not interested in selling that top cover your not using by chance are you? Im trying to find a standard one and can give cash and/ or trade ammo or other gun parts. That bullpup looks sweet by the way!

ETA: noticed you traded it...oh well!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    That's the kid that opened the shop down the street right? His quitting time is about the time I stopped watching.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's the kid that opened the shop down the street right? His quitting time is about the time I stopped watching.

His shop is over in Scott outside Lafayette and Red Jacket is in Baton Rouge. The commute is one reason he quit, him and his wife had a baby girl and he wasn't getting to spend any time with her between filming and the commute.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey CCHGN your not interested in selling that top cover your not using by chance are you? Im trying to find a standard one and can give cash and/ or trade ammo or other gun parts. That bullpup looks sweet by the way!

ETA: noticed you traded it...oh well!

I bought the WASR10 (and 500 rnds ammo) on 9/11/01, as I thought we're being invaded nationwide.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

FYI - Redjacket originally started out ONLY doing AK's - parts kits and re-works. They only got into AR15 when the craze hit.

Here is a good deal on a modern WASR: http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/yugom70ab2tunderfoldwmags
    Check out the other ak's they have as well - there are some fine "WASR" rifles these days.
    Classic Arms also has a line of All American made ak rifles now! Out of stock at the moment though. http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/aksporterriflew-balckpolystockbyioonc

Top Bottom