• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Armalite makes the AR-50 for a relatively decent price point (relatively as in somewhere in the $2.5 - 3k neighborhood rather than $8k and up). It's a single shot bolt gun, though. Dunno if that's a deal breaker for you or not. Same with the Grizzly Big Boar.

I've also seen some pretty interesting .50BMG uppers for AR lowers. No idea what the price points on those are though.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Been doing lots of research.
    Single shot would be just fine for now. Serbu, M99, AR50, Noreen and the like look great.

The AR uppers, can be hit or miss, but I'm open to the idea.

Just thought I'd check on here before buying on GB.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Barrett is YOU

Well, I would love one. I think. Lol. I've never shot a BMG off the shoulder.

The problem with the M82 vs a single shot is the lack of instant gratification. Two options.
    1- sell some guns and add some cash
    2- save and wait till the gun fund can afford it
    Whereas , a single shot, I could do much sooner.
    I tried selling some guns, but just couldn't do it, so I'm thinking I'll grab a single shot and if I find myself shooting it a lot and wishing it was semi auto, I'll find an M82.
    Although, for a while, I was happy shooting the 500 as a single shot, I'm past that and would do away with a single shot by now. So maybe I should go big and get the real thing or go home.

I only know of two in the area though. An AR with a BMG upper at Oak Ridge, don't know if it's for sale though, and an M82 owned by a member who I don't think would sell, so I'm not sure this thread will produce anything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Styx said I could shoot it there. Hey, that's just down the street from you, Batman. If I can make it happen, you can tag along with that sweet R-25.

Factory ammo is really not much more than 500 S&W, and like the 500, If I like it enough, I'll load for it.

I've been toying with "50 cals" for a while, but now I'm itching for the real thing.

Last edited:

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Been completely happy with the armalite ar50.

I believe gander man had a bushmaster 50 and a Barrett or two a few weeks ago when I was in there

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    And for when shooting paper at 200 yards gets boring??? What's your plan for that?

I shoot paper pretty regularly out at Santa Rosa. Haven't gotten bored with it yet.
    Out there, you'll find me shooting slow fire small groups at 7 yards, silhouette head shots at 25, 2-3 shot bursts at 7 or 15 in preparation for IDPA (this is my newest venture into becoming a better Pistolero), or just making noise with the 500S&Ws or the 50AE. Honestly, to me, the 50's are the most fun (and I reserve them for the end) for the earth splitting, bone shaking energy that comes out of the muzzle. Incidentally, with those beasts, it's not so much about the target as it is a sensory awe inspiring experience. It's been over a year since I bought my first, and I don't think I'll ever get bored with it. It's also the first activity I've found where watching someone do it, is exactly as much fun as doing it yourself.

I'm not much of a rifle shooter, but the SlideFire stock and the 50 Beowulf have recently changed that, although the Beo really needs a muzzle break. Once it comes in, I'll be looking for someone to thread the barrel for me.

I think the BMG will be much like the pistols from a sensory perspective and will add more entertainment to sitting on a bench looking through a tube, which I've tried in the past and didn't much care for. Hopefully, we'll see, at the very least, it'll be a fun noise maker. Lol.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I find it interesting Dan the WHY people shoot and appreciate your enthusiastic description.

For me I am bored at the range, find it uninteresting to the point of almost boring, maybe competition shooting would be different, certainly having your own private range would be better. When I was a kid we shot at gravel pits and in fields for birds and small game, now that was fun! I go to the range now, Get my gun sighted in to hunt with as fast as possible and get into the field hunting or shooting.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I did see the ones at Gander. IIRC, they were OVER msrp. Mind boggling. Don't think the place will be there long. Went by yesterday, there were literally 5 cars in the lot. Hmmm.

Steyr. Great company. Had no idea they made a BMG, will definitely research it. Thanks!

Frank, I literally smile just thinking about shooting paper the way I do, with the 50's particularly, because shooting them, I couldn't care less about the paper itself. Lol.

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooten the big guns might hurt Frank more. I for 1 loved shooting them and thank you Dan and Stanley. I would shoot them every day now that I am over the fear of them. Yes I was just a bit scared.. The only thing holding me back is money and I hate spending 3.00 of someone money every time it goes off.

Dan no longer than I have known you I do know you will have one and it wont be long. Maybe Wilson Combat will start building one. Just Joken but had to say it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You have to be scared, that's half the fun. Eventually, that stomach flipping fear then turns to respect which is fun when you find yourself actually being able to control that power, also exhilarating. I did sell my first 50 to David, went to the range and it just wasnt the same. Lol. I do need to scope the 8 3/8" see if I can get MOA type results.
    Snowbird, anytime Sir. I'm loading those puppies for 0.70 per round, so it's all good.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'd really love to have a .50 but that's just way outta my price range right now... maybe someday.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Got a 50 BMG upper. Now looking for a lower to put it on. Any help is appreciated!
    :)
    Thanks GCGF!

Top Bottom