• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO . . . . I would attempt to treat the LEO in the same manner that I would expect to be treated. No matter his age,I would use "yes sir" and "no sir" also "please" and "thank you" in my language when dealing with him. I would expect him to do the same.
    I would not inform him of my CWP unless he asked me to step out of my truck,or if he had some reason to open any of the 4 doors. I would not automatically hand him my CWP if he did not specifically ask for it.
    If I felt the need to inform him that I had a firearm on my person or any other place in my truck,I would start off with, "I have been issued a permit by the state of Florida to carry a concealed weapon. I have one on me at this time. I will follow your orders."
    I would inform him of any "weapons" (as per Fla. 790) that I had on my person or in my truck,and exactly where they were located. I feel that the more info that I can give him,the more at ease he will be during the stop.
    I really would not want to hand over my pistol to him. However,I would not quiz him as to why he wanted it. I would highly request that he took it from out of the holster or from within my pocket. From that point on,I would really not want to put my hands on a weapon.
    All in all,I would treat him with respect and would demand that he do the same. ---SAWMAN

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Would like to add, If you put your REg. and Proof of Ins. In a envelope and place it to the visor in front of you so you don't have to reach around in your Vehicle for it will help also, this keeps your hands up and in front of you. This is part of my ccw class. Just my 5 cents jj

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I don't present my permit and I don't talk about guns I have. No sense in throwing up red flags to the officer.
    I've only been stopped once in the last 35 years (donated $225 to the state of Alabama about 4 months ago).
    I had my wallet in my hand by the time he got to the car. I gave him my license, registration and insurance card.
    He said he was going to give me a ticket for doing 82 in a 70. I told him I was just trying to keep from getting run over but he was just doing his job.
    I didn't thank him when he was done.
    What I wanted to say was "Yeh, you ignored all these Alabama tags whizzing by me and got ya some of that out-of-state money, didn't ya ?"
    BUT, I haven't bought an Alabama hunting license this year like I have for the last 30 years so Alabama just might end up getting $75 less from me this year.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No matter what your plan of action might be, just remember that Louisiana is one of several states that require you to inform the officer that you are carrying.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's funny is that out of all of the countries I've been to, he US is the only one where getting out of the vehicle or making a sudden movement or reaching to grab an ID might get you shot. It really sucks that we have to walk on eggshells. Or do we? Maybe we don't have to, but there is some reason that is making us feel like we have to.

It's like Sawman said, he would say "I have been issued a license... I will follow your orders." Who talks that way? No one does! Yet, we get pulled into an interaction with a public servant and we immediately feel like we have to behave like subservient robots, for what? To make sure the officer doesn't mistakenly shoot us to death in front of our family members because we reached into the glovebox for a paper the cop just asked for?

I get why they're on edge, but I hope they understand that we are on edge as well.

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anytime I have been pulled over I just give them what they ask for, license, registration and insurance. If I do get pulled over my hunting riffle is in a hard case that's closed & latched with my bag of clothes on-top.
    In Oxford, Ms. Leo knows before they turn their lights on if you have a CCP. When they run your tag it tells them. They also have a tag that says "Retired Law Enforcement" and it is free when you get it and yearly. Now Ms. sucks on other issues, I don't like how when they run your tag it shows them you have a CCP, also how registration is done there if you aren't a Leo/retired or if you have a VA tag it is free, if you were not Leo or Military when you go to get your tag you pay the taxes on what your vehicle is worth, instead like in Fl. we'll say $48 to renew your tag, it's $48 dollars to renew it the next year, etc... Unless/Until it's old enough to be an antique and you get the blue tag and I think the tag/registration is free. A VA tag in Fl. is probably free also or I would at least hope so.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    JBryan, it might be that the US has more thugs than some of the other countries that you have been to. There were something like 6 LEOs shot in Georgia in the past week.
    I dang sure wouldn't just go sauntering up to a car that I stopped, especially if that car were occupied by 2 or 3 young males.
    I would be profiling the heck out of the occupants.
    My plan would be to go home to my family at the end of the day.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well written article with common sense. I know many folks that say they won't tell an officer they have a CWP unless asked and the only thing I can say to that is I hope you never forget where that firearm is when you get pulled over because ifin you reach somewhere that firearm is (for registration or proof of insurance) you'll never forget the encounter.

I'll also add since most folks drive bigger cars trucks, if you get pulled over, open your windows in the back also (if you have tinted windows). Another few suggestions (not about CWP) pull over enough the officer has room to move beside your vehicle and pull OUT OF THE ROAD! Don't stop in the middle of your lane....

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not really sure how my cops have shot ccw carriers in the last 20 years but I'm willing to say it isn't much. Speaking for me and for me only, it's always nice to know who is armed and who is not but that's in a perfect world. I make sure I can see your hands at all times and am always polite. I never take a gun out of a car and I never unload it on the side of the road. As far as I'm concerned, if it's put away it's not an issue. For the ones who bring it up, we usually talk guns for a few then they are on their way. Again, I speak for me!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jason, will you please explain further your first paragraph in your post #9.
    I would like to make sure that I understand you perfectly. Thanks ---SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Since I am not the paranoid type, I hand the officer the required info AND my permit saying at the time I am legally carrying. Always yes sir, follow instructions and polite, they have been too. Since approaching in this way and after 4 stops in 3 states in 14 years I have not been given a ticket, only a warning.

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jason, will you please explain further your first paragraph in your post #9.
    I would like to make sure that I understand you perfectly. Thanks ---SAWMAN
    I understand what he said perfectly , if you go reaching in the near vicinity of a visible weapon you might end up face and fat belly to the pavement.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand what he said perfectly , if you go reaching in the near vicinity of a visible weapon you might end up face and fat belly to the pavement.

There is a wide spectrum of situations that may arise. Scenario's are endless.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I don't show my CWP or bring up the fact that I have a gun because I have heard stories of cops not liking the fact that a citizen has a gun. I'm sure most of them around here are not like that but why even bring it into the equation ?
    My Glock is always at my feet when I travel. The LEO can't see it and my papers are nowhere near it. No sense in bringing it up. I just want to be on my way as quickly as possible.
    Now, if for some reason he asked me to get out of the car, I would tell him it's there. I'm not going to do anything stupid.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got to witness a stop first hand the other night with a drunk driver that had a firearm on him. Everything was valid to carry but he was just drunk. He wasn't being an asshole he was just drunk and didn't know what he was doing. I have always knew the job is stressful but never got to see how something can change in a split second. Guy tried to reach for his pistol, whether the intent was different vs what the officers knew we would never tell but Pensacola PD conducted themselves in the most professional manor ever even when that happened.

I always inform, I know I don't have to but hell it just takes the stress out of their job and makes them feel a little more comfortable. I have actually been let go on stops just because of me informing them and being nice. A few years ago a state trooper let me off on a $210 (give or take) ticket and just gave me a $10 for not having proof of insurance. All because I let him know I was carrying an pistol and didn't give him any BS.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a VERY heavy right foot and am always going well above the speed limit. Although I do know most of the spots to slow down I usually get pulled over about twice a year. I always hand my CCW along with my license reg. etc. Every time they hand the CCW back, thank me for showing them and ask if I have a firearm with me and if so where it is. I tell them yes and where it is and they tell me as long as it stays there all is good. I tell them I will not go anywhere near it and am very polite the entire time. I have not gotten a ticket in at least 3 or 4 years, usually just get a warning. I thank them and tell them to be careful. They are always just as nice back to me.

As we know in Florida we do not have to inform unless asked but I feel it's better to be up front with them and it seems they appreciate it. Last time this happened was last Saturday night!

Last edited:

Leon

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO . . . . I would attempt to treat the LEO in the same manner that I would expect to be treated. No matter his age,I would use "yes sir" and "no sir" also "please" and "thank you" in my language when dealing with him. I would expect him to do the same.
    I would not inform him of my CWP unless he asked me to step out of my truck,or if he had some reason to open any of the 4 doors. I would not automatically hand him my CWP if he did not specifically ask for it.

If I felt the need to inform him that I had a firearm on my person or any other place in my truck,I would start off with, "I have been issued a permit by the state of Florida to carry a concealed weapon. I have one on me at this time. I will follow your orders."
    I would inform him of any "weapons" (as per Fla. 790) that I had on my person or in my truck,and exactly where they were located. I feel that the more info that I can give him,the more at ease he will be during the stop.
    I really would not want to hand over my pistol to him. However,I would not quiz him as to why he wanted it. I would highly request that he took it from out of the holster or from within my pocket. From that point on,I would really not want to put my hands on a weapon.
    All in all,I would treat him with respect and would demand that he do the same. ---SAWMAN
    Im not sure I want someone to retrieve a loaded weapon out of MY waist band or pocket.

Top Bottom