Patriot Mobile

UPDATE++++UPDATE!!! US Appeals court rules bump stock devices are not ‘machine guns!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is for the:
    The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Thursday that bump stock accessories cannot be considered “machine guns” and thus not subjected to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) ban.
    The supreme court:
    ''The U.S. Supreme Court had refused to hear two separate appeals to the ATF’s bump stock ban in early 2019.'''
    Is this going back to the supreme court? Is the decision valid only for the 6th district?

Since the fact is that many semi-auto guns will bump fire if held loosely has always left open the possibility that a gun such as the AK could be deemed a machine gun just on that fact alone.

tritonboy2001

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is for the:
    The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Thursday that bump stock accessories cannot be considered “machine guns” and thus not subjected to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) ban.
    The supreme court:
    ''The U.S. Supreme Court had refused to hear two separate appeals to the ATF’s bump stock ban in early 2019.'''
    Is this going back to the supreme court? Is the decision valid only for the 6th district?

Since the fact is that many semi-auto guns will bump fire if held loosely has always left open the possibility that a gun such as the AK could be deemed a machine gun just on that fact alone.
    FrommerStop, good questions, and as always it depends. I imagine the Govt will petition SCOTUS to hear the appeal, see what happens. I hope if SCOTUS denys the request then I am hoping ( believe it will) this will apply to the entire country, as you cannot have 1 portion of the US under 1 law/ruling and the rest under another. I could be wrong as I am no lawyer, just a person trying to make sense of this also.. Guess we will have to wait and see, but either way this is good news.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop, good questions, and as always it depends. I imagine the Govt will petition SCOTUS to hear the appeal, see what happens. I hope if SCOTUS denys the request then I am hoping ( believe it will) this will apply to the entire country, as you cannot have 1 portion of the US under 1 law/ruling and the rest under another. I could be wrong as I am no lawyer, just a person trying to make sense of this also.. Guess we will have to wait and see, but either way this is good news.
    I am not a lawyer either. I know it used to be for USEPA that is also divided into regions what might be ok in one region might not be ok in another. But perhaps the federal courts are different relative to rulings

makats

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My understanding is if there is a decision from only one circuit court of appeals, it applies to all of the US. If there are two conflicting decisions, the court issuing a conflicting decision usually certifies the question to the supreme court which then decides which decision is "right". I am not a lawyer though

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

tritonboy2001

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am curious to know that if this ruling holds or SCOTUS rules the same, hopefully pressure or lawsuit if needed, and there will be a change in that decision Fl made.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s legal in only the states governed by that federal circuit.

It would be persuasive but not binding to the local circuit.

Then when the 9th circuit later rules its illegal then since two or more circuits differ then the supremes can get involved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom