• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oneshot invited me up to Jay on Saturday to help out with a Turkey Shoot that Pittman's Building Supply/Owens Outfitters was having. I've never been to a turkey shoot before... Not sure if ths one was typical of such shoots -- but what fun!

Each "round" in the shoot produced a winner of a nice turkey. (I won round number two - smoked the turkey today ) :grin: The winner also landed a spot in the final "gun" round -- where the winner would be given a brand new Savage bolt-action rifle chambered in .17HMR. (I didn't win that round) :cry:

It was a customer appreciation event -- so they had great (free) food for both lunch and dinner! Dinner was accompanied by a live band with the warmth and light of a great bonfire. The BBQ pork, chicken, and fixin's were outstanding!

Owens Outfitters is a nice albeit smaller gun store as an alternative to Scott's in Jay. The have a nice assortment of firearms and accessories at very fair prices -- but they appear to cater more to hunting firearms and supplies, rather than "tactical" or hard core self defense. They do carry handguns -- and several caught my eye.

The proprietors are friendly folks -- if you are up in Jay, stop by and check them out.

Owens Outfitters (connected to Pittman's Building Supplies)
    3578 Highway 4 suite B
    Jay, Florida 32565
    (850) 675-3332

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    One of my best childhood friends owns both the lumber/hardware store and the gun shop. He is under cutting Scott's in a large way. He just about sells at cost, Shon is a great guy and will take care of all your needs.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn. Just rode to Scotts the other day just to check it out.
    Sure could have used this post last Friday.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed - I expect if the turkey shoot event had been mentioned prior to the event here on the forum -- they would have had even more participants!

But then - one of you guys would have probably out shot me and robbed me of my turkey!

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    shoot

In the begaining they would put a turkey behind something and you had to hit it in the heard when he put it up from behind the barrier.Now you shoot at target with a shotgun and a winner is determined. You usually set up a set number of people to shoot in a group {like 10] AND THE WINNER OUT OF THAT GROUP GETS A TURKEY [ FROZEN] THE ONES PUTTING IT ON WILL USUALLY FURNISH THE SHELL, THIS KEEPS EVERY ONE ON THE SAME PAGE, YOU CAN US YOUR ON GUN BUT NO EXTN. CHOKES I hope this helps out those that aren't old enough to know . JUst my 25 cents jj

Last edited:
    Top Bottom