• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's been a few years now but while living up In New England a lot of the VFWs and hunting fishing clubs and different organizations. Use to run Turkey and ham shoots they would lay out about 25 2x4s in ground. Then the day of the shoots they'd sell you tickets they would staple a card to the post. For between $2 -$4 depending on the size of the turkeys or hams they were giving away. For the fee they would supply you with a shotgun shell for the gauge of thee shot gun you were using. Usually 20gauge or 12 gauge you could use your own shotgun or they had loaner guns. Once all 25 tries were sold they would can you to the line and you'd shoot at your target. Once they were done shooting they would check the target to see whom came closest to the middle of the targets with a pellet.

It use to be a lot of fun was wondering does anyone know of any of these types of shoots here locally?

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Used to go to these years ago when I lived in South Carolina. There was a road with 8 or so churches and almost every one had a shoot going on from the week before Thanksgiving until Christmas. They were usually run by a group that the church sponsored, youth group, boy scouts, etc. I would love to find some around here.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    They used to have them here, I don't know since covid? Smith's fish camp and a VFW have had them. However, they are not like the ones in New England (I grew up in Maine) where they were big events, rifle, handguns, running deer and such. Here it is all shotgun only at about 25 yds or so and closest pellet to the X is the winner. Mostly luck not skill. I am very surprised one of the ranges don't put on an event like this.
    It would be great if GCGF would have one.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went to one about a decade ago up north of 5-points, pretty much in someone’s back yard and prizes were handed out at the garage.

No idea what is going on these days.

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to one about a decade ago up north of 5-points, pretty much in someone’s back yard and prizes were handed out at the garage.

No idea what is going on these days.
    I went to this one several years ago as well. I shot a .410. I usually ended up winning something.

I used to joke about the cost of my winnings.

It was fun though and occupied a Saturday afternoon pretty well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ExGrndPounder

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I attended one maybe 10 years ago at a fire department just east of Niceville. A guy with an old Mossberg goose gun kept winning so they limited him out. The range shot out into the bay. I think they stopped due to lead issues.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Every time I win one the turkey has been horrible. Full of lead and shredded to pieces.

The canned hams were even worse.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Grandpa wouldn't miss these things when I was a kid I remember him always bringing turkeys and hams by.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Every time I win one the turkey has been horrible. Full of lead and shredded to pieces.

The canned hams were even worse.
    You joke, but in Northern Maine 1970's they would put a live turkey in a cage where he would have its head sticking out. They winner would have to make a head shot offhand with a rifle at 50 yards or so. Can you imagine the commotion it would cause today.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom