• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Several of us in Nashville used to get together with our old javelin launch planes and go "adventure sloping". We'd pile into a car and search out obscure slopes, hop out and fly until we were caught or got tired and then we'd go eat. Ended up in Birmingham once sloping a hotel construction sight on the sideof what seemd like a mountain compared to what we were used to flying. No slopes around here though... :(

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You guys fly at the rc field in West pcola?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

If you mean the Model Park off Mobile Hwy that's where I fly, I think I even saw Sean there, once (hint, hint).

I am president of the club that holds the lease to the field. We have separate fields for sailplanes and power planes/helos. It's a great place to fly with nice facilities, paved runways, covered sheds, ect.

Coming up the 14th there's going to be a helo fly in with a bunch of those spinning blade thingys doing all sorts of twist and turns, will be a great show. Next day, the 15th, the Civil Air Patrol cadets will launch rockets and fly some R/C trainers with buddy boxes. It's open to anybody that wants to come watch.

Hoss, good to know I'm not the only one that can't stop flying the simulator, I'm a needle chasing fool but I'm starting to get the ILS landing down.

Rick

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I spotted a lost rc plane there a few years back while flying over that place. I landed in the grass and retrieved the plane from the North side of the park and put it up in the pitts. I often wondered if you guys found it and had trouble figuring how it got there. Mark

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I spotted a lost rc plane there a few years back while flying over that place. I landed in the grass and retrieved the plane from the North side of the park and put it up in the pitts. I often wondered if you guys found it and had trouble figuring how it got there. Mark

Mark,

What were you flying, a UL?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On the subject of finding lost models. It's kind of interesting to me that over the last decade I've found 3 different FF models at the airport, on the runway, sitting upright. All three naturally had come from a meet at Site 8. I know many more have been lost but it does make you think when you find one sitting on the runway facing the right direction. How do it know?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you mean the Model Park off Mobile Hwy that's where I fly, I think I even saw Sean there, once (hint, hint).

Wasn't me and you can't prove a thing..............

I'll get back into it this Fall and Winter. I am outside in the sun from 8-5 minimum every day at least 6 days a week. In the Summer I tend to seek cool dark places to hide when I'm not at work.:baby:

I talked to Ken on the phone yesterday. Great talking to you Ken! When you get back we'll do some shootin' and flyin'.

Hey, I've got an idea! JohnAl wants to shoot clays too so maybe we can all do another get-together like JJ and Nate's. We can combine RC and skeet! It would be at least me, Rick, Hoss, Ken and John. All we need is about 40 EP foamies. I vote we have Rick build them.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No problem Sean, I'll jump right on it, just as soon as I finish building my EDF U-2R, Piper Twin Commanche and Sig King Kobra. Oh, and I have several Scat Cat pylon racers under construction too.

The free flight club is losing Site 8, it's going to be a much needed industrial park (not).

Don't remember hearing of a lost plane showing back up, but thanks for retrieving it. There's many more in the woods to the northeast that I know of, none of mine but several from a friend.

Rick

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw a vid of a bunch of guys trying to shoot RC airplanes in England I think...Looked like a fun time to me.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea, I've seen quite a few videos of people trying to shoot down model airplanes. One had a bunch of class III weapons and the plane eventually ran out of fuel and landed without a single hole in it. Another had little charges stuck all over it and people were shooting at them with shotguns. That one got hit many times.

While it looks cool if something important inside the plane got hit there's no telling where it could go, right into the crowd is entirely possible. This is why we emphasize stringent safety rules at our field. Accidents such as the one yesterday can give the hobby a bad rep.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=154056

Check out the guy in this video, then read my comments. I made this post about a month ago and low and behold........ It's operating model aircraft in this type of close proximity to the pilot and the public that accidents can happen. Wonder if it's the same guy in the news.

Rick

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I converted all mine to electric and could not be happier. Even the big boys. I have a cub with a 6' wing span that I put a motor in that's the same power as a 125cc gas engine and it has power to spare. Longer flight times too with much less weight. Working on a long range FPV preditor drone right now with a 11' wing span that should be awesome when done. I'll post some build pics soon. nice Moth BTW.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm working on a U-2 about the same size as your Predator that will be electric powered, a 90mm EDF. Electrics are coming on strong but I still prefer my planes to make noise. LiPo batteries are coming down in price and improving in capacity, lots of folks only fly electric.

I for one with stick with nitro engines and 72mhz radios until they pry them from my cold, dead hands. Jets however are a different story.

Rick

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having been a jet engine mechanic in the service it just amazes>spelling< those jet engines in rc airplanes and even radial engines.Also the bucks and time to build one.I watch alot of Utube and really enjoy what people have done.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wasn't me and you can't prove a thing..............

I'll get back into it this Fall and Winter. I am outside in the sun from 8-5 minimum every day at least 6 days a week. In the Summer I tend to seek cool dark places to hide when I'm not at work.:baby:

I talked to Ken on the phone yesterday. Great talking to you Ken! When you get back we'll do some shootin' and flyin'.

Hey, I've got an idea! JohnAl wants to shoot clays too so maybe we can all do another get-together like JJ and Nate's. We can combine RC and skeet! It would be at least me, Rick, Hoss, Ken and John. All we need is about 40 EP foamies. I vote we have Rick build them.

Sounds good to me... Let's do it

We have to shoot the PCP Airguns too... LOL

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having been a jet engine mechanic in the service it just amazes>spelling< those jet engines in rc airplanes and even radial engines.Also the bucks and time to build one.I watch alot of Utube and really enjoy what people have done.

Yep, with big money you too can fly a real turbine powered R/C jet. That's about the ultimate in model aviation. The trouble with flying fast model aircraft is by the time you straighten out from a turn it's time to turn again. That doesn't leave much time to do any other maneuvers, and who wants to slow a jet down. Even these little electric EDF jets blaze around so fast they're hard to follow.

The U-2 will be a different creature. It will fly around nice and slow. I already have a smaller version that I jet up to about 500', shut the motor off and glide around seeking thermal lift. Kept the thing up for 23 minutes one time, the motor only has a 4 minute run time.

Anybody's welcome to come out and try their hand at flying a trainer with a buddy box. It cost you nothing to try, but if you wanted to buy me lunch I wouldn't object :smile:

Rick

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May take you up on that.Saw a real U2 take off on guam one time and it was a hoot to see the outrigger gear bouncing down the runway

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just in case the authorities read this thread I do NOT advocate shooting at RC aircraft.:becky:

Turtle, the Predator sounds awesome! I haven't messed with FPV yet. Kind of the same reason I don't have a flight sym. I'd get way too into it. LOL But I would like to watch someone fly that way sometime.

Here's a couple of photos of my pride and joy Rosenthal AS-K13 in 1/3 scale (approx. 18' w/s). Currently in several pieces in my shop due to my being stricken during the last flight with a serious case of "dumb thumbs". :frusty:

Attachments

• ASK131.jpg
      ASK131.jpg
      113.1 KB · Views: 49
    • ASK132.jpg
      ASK132.jpg
      181.7 KB · Views: 48

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NICE airplane I never got into the RC because it seemed I never the time.BUT I see what they can do on Utube and it just blows me away.My real excuse is i'm afraid I would spend all winter building one and crash it the first time I flew it like my uncle did

If you fly R/C you will crash, especially in the learning stages. Most plane nowadays are ARFs, (almost ready to fly). There's not a lot of building, just gluing the wing halves together, gluing the tail pieces on, installing the hardware, radio and engine and you're off. With the buddy box system the instructor can take control instantly to get the plane out of inevitable trouble, not at all like when I was learning.

Very few in our club actually take a set of plans or kit and build the entire airplane, ARFs have taken over and are really a cheaper way to go. The above Tiger Moth is an ARF, it cost $249 new with no engine or radio. You couldn't buy the plans, wood, glue, sandpaper, hardware, landing gear, cowling, engine mounts and covering for that not to mention the time involved. Being an ARF you could have this plane in the air in less than 10 hours work where as if you built it it would take weeks/months.

I'm one of the few that enjoys building as does Sean but most of what I fly are AFRs. Building takes a lot of time so if I had to depend on it to fly I wouldn't be flying many planes. I get a lot of damaged ARFs and repair them and that's most of what I fly.

Rick

Top Bottom