Target Sports

They are cheaper to produce....so why does these AK platforms have to be so pricey

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mule1208

Expert
    To find even the cheapest American klashnikovs they tend to start at 700 bucks and just sky rockets from there to 3k . Being that it's mostly stamped and the gas piston is easier to manufacture then gas tube systems ide think it would be cheaper. Is it just the cultural novelty?

Mule1208

Expert
    I just picked up a Del-ton AR for 350 bucks and proceeded to blow it up . The gun market has stayed about the same . As have the expensive ass ak's

5lima30ret

Master
    A very simple manual of arms, simple to maintain, can run dry reliably (unlike AR's), cheap steel cased ammo, better caliber for most things inside 250-300 yds are some reasons that AK's are becoming more popular. AK's can be much more accurate than what many people think! Just my .02 worth!

My choice is the 2008-2010 batch of WASRs. That little window is when they changed the QC on them and they are made good. Sights are straight, Chrome Lined Barrels, Forged Trunnions.

I've done my research and seen dozens of them to cherry pick from that little window.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Gotta say, the AK being cheaper to produce than an AR is totally false. I remember speaking with a gunsmith who said "ARs are assembled, AKs are crafted". It's like a set of cabinets. You can get a cheap build-yourself set that snaps together from Ikea (AR), or you can have a professional carpenter custom fit and build them (AK).

Part of the reason they were so cheap is that overseas workers don't get paid crap. That, and the scale of manufacturing was off the charts in the 80s-2010s. Recall that ARs used to be seriously pricey, and now you can get a seriously decent one for $400-500.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    A very simple manual of arms, simple to maintain, can run dry reliably (unlike AR's), cheap steel cased ammo, better caliber for most things inside 250-300 yds are some reasons that AK's are becoming more popular. AK's can be much more accurate than what many people think! Just my .02 worth!
    Yes. But the SKS has more stopping power.....

DustyDog

Master
    This is why I started saying long ago:

The only thing we should be importing from China is the AK... and maybe the ammo. Instead, we import everything but.

As far as I'm concerned, none are functionally superior to a 30 year-old Poly Tech (not such a fan of the Norincos, just based on inferior finish), though I've never owned any other. But how could any other be functionally superior to something that has never had a hiccup in 30+ years? : )

DSC08071web.jpg

M60Gunner

Master
    Yes I was happy to pay 499 for the Zastava, forged, chrome lined, fantastic I asked Red about it before he passed and kept his detailed reply on what quality AKs they are. See if I can find it somewhere…

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom