• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you think of this man's personal experience?
    Has this been overall your experience?
    Both if you are a Northerner - did you, were you aware of this propaganda or to form an "ism" against the South by the coastal Elites and the NY media? And the air of superiority from Catholics towards humble ( poor/ no ostentatious buildings and services ) Baptists?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    interesting piece. thanks for sharing. he comes late to the table though. i dont know if the north hasnt gone to far into the hole of decadence.
    for some good opinion pieces i recommend you read some victor davis hanson

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    others still choose to see the south thru the prism of the 1950s and 60s. remember, that is when democrats ruled. that is not the south of today. i remember being shocked at my northern-born fellow Marines when they made racist comments. i didnt understand yankees showing biases that i, a southerner, didnt have. in my opinion the home of racism in america has shifted from the south to the north. what is the common thread? the influence of the democratic party.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    others still choose to see the south thru the prism of the 1950s and 60s. remember, that is when democrats ruled. that is not the south of today. i remember being shocked at my northern-born fellow Marines when they made racist comments. i didnt understand yankees showing biases that i, a southerner, didnt have. in my opinion the home of racism in america has shifted from the south to the north. what is the common thread? the influence of the democratic party.
    Thank you for sharing that.
    I had a suspicion it was the case from a limited personal observation and I have only been here for 10 years.

It is good to hear confirmation from people here.

My husband did say once that this sweeping broad claim the South is racist is propaganda as "I can guarantee you a Southerner would rather have a gainfully employed black neighbor, if not a lefty, in place of any white liberal."

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you for sharing that.
    I had a suspicion it was the case from a limited personal observation and I have only been here for 10 years.

It is good to hear confirmation from people here.

My husband did say once that this sweeping broad claim the South is racist is propaganda as "I can guarantee you a Southerner would rather have a gainfully employed black neighbor, if not a lefty, in place of any white liberal."
    i would agree with that 110 percent.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Growing up in New York (Brooklyn, with a lot of time in Manhattan) in the 60's I know exactly what he is talking about. Pretty much anyone not from NY (particularly the city area) was looked down on. People from Southern states were so far down you needed a telescope to see them.

My parents bought a summer house out on Long Island when I was about 10. When I first met the kids there I was surprised they were cool kids and not dumb like I thought anyone not from the city was. I immediately told my parents we had to move there. Took a few years to get us out of the city but I took to "country" living like a fish to water.

About the same time, late 60's, my grandparents moved to South Florida. Several visits there reinforced the new thoughts I had that people outside of NY were NOT idiots. After many vacations, growing up, 6 years in the Coast Guard (reserve), getting married and having a child I (and my wife) realized how bad NY sucks and how much better it is almost anywhere out of that shithole. We moved here in 1996 and never looked back. Although I still have a NY accent and say you guys instead of y'all I consider myself a southerner!

The author of the article said it much better than I could so I quote:
    "You have always been on target about states' rights, individual freedom, and resistance to becoming the minions of people who neither knew nor cared about you in Washington, D.C. You are people of a sort I understand. People after my own heart. I am proud and honored to call you my countrymen. Please accept my genuine, if a little belated, apologies. Let us bury the hatchet for good and ever. Long live our country and the nation of our birth. We are all Southerners now."

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Check out a book called "Albion Seed". Very educational as to the differences between puritans and cavaliers, etc.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Growing up in New York (Brooklyn, with a lot of time in Manhattan) in the 60's I know exactly what he is talking about. Pretty much anyone not from NY (particularly the city area) was looked down on. People from Southern states were so far down you needed a telescope to see them.

My parents bought a summer house out on Long Island when I was about 10. When I first met the kids there I was surprised they were cool kids and not dumb like I thought anyone not from the city was. I immediately told my parents we had to move there. Took a few years to get us out of the city but I took to "country" living like a fish to water.

About the same time, late 60's, my grandparents moved to South Florida. Several visits there reinforced the new thoughts I had that people outside of NY were NOT idiots. After many vacations, growing up, 6 years in the Coast Guard (reserve), getting married and having a child I (and my wife) realized how bad NY sucks and how much better it is almost anywhere out of that shithole. We moved here in 1996 and never looked back. Although I still have a NY accent and say you guys instead of y'all I consider myself a southerner!

The author of the article said it much better than I could so I quote:
    "You have always been on target about states' rights, individual freedom, and resistance to becoming the minions of people who neither knew nor cared about you in Washington, D.C. You are people of a sort I understand. People after my own heart. I am proud and honored to call you my countrymen. Please accept my genuine, if a little belated, apologies. Let us bury the hatchet for good and ever. Long live our country and the nation of our birth. We are all Southerners now."
    Amazing that you could see through the brainwash!
    My husband was born in Connecticut, moved to Manhattan at the age of 10.
    Drove to Miami on an Eddie Lawson Replica motorcycle age 20 and never went back.

Like you, he also considers himself a southerner. He cites Virginia origin through his grandfather.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
    The way I relate to you is that I am Brazilian British and I loathe American Constitutional law culture.
    The British also snubbed Americans ( I lived my entire adulthood in London ) and considered themselves superior and how "Americans have no culture" .
    Not true! It is the same haughty spirit that causes division, disrespect, disdain and even hatred.
    Same attempt at elevating oneself by belittling others.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my time, growing up in NJ; I never heard a disparaging remark about the South. However, as TV caught on shows like the Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pile, Green Acres portrayed good souls but with depreciated stereotypes. For prior decades movies always highlighted the North/South differences: northerners well spoken and from the recognized cities while southerners has poor accented english and from some unheard of backwater or holler with a name that would solicit a laugh. ONLY rolls portraying rich southerner would be mostly exempt. There's further demoralization in Black roles. But, I never heard anyone trash talking about the South. I did need to read lips a little when when I went to Boot Camp at Parris Island. My Platoon was well represented by the South and in all fairness, they probably had trouble with my Jersey english. Lol. We know as far as politics go the Dems would use anything as a dividing issue.

Religion. Up north you/family do your own thing. Some communities are well mixed, others not much but its your own business. Down South, after name introductions the First Question is: What Church do you attend? And no shit, the answer to this question will lead one of to ways; an invite to their very next Church Service or the conversation dies on the spot. Bless their little Hearts. Christian Worship isn't good enough, its got to be in line with "theirs". Its the Sothern Ladies that drop this question the majority of the time but a few men have too. I don't think those folks rank high enough to make "Judgement" but they do. Lol

Every visit "down South" has always included some "born and breed" character tossing out the "Yankee" moniker in some form of question. Hmmm, seem to me folks down South are more wrapped around the axle over the north/south thing. I just don't care, so it never bothers me. Ready for the reversal? I read with interest, dozens of Confererate related comments: from Flags to what it was and wasn't about, Northern agression and Southern oppression. Where's that continuous geographical anamosity come fròm? Not to push buttons, but the view from the Win and Lose boxes are different and from the latter it dosen't fad with time. YMMV

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my time, growing up in NJ; I never heard a disparaging remark about the South. However, as TV caught on shows like the Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pile, Green Acres portrayed good souls but with depreciated stereotypes. For prior decades movies always highlighted the North/South differences: northerners well spoken and from the recognized cities while southerners has poor accented english and from some unheard of backwater or holler with a name that would solicit a laugh. ONLY rolls portraying rich southerner would be mostly exempt. There's further demoralization in Black roles. But, I never heard anyone trash talking about the South. I did need to read lips a little when when I went to Boot Camp at Parris Island. My Platoon was well represented by the South and in all fairness, they probably had trouble with my Jersey english. Lol. We know as far as politics go the Dems would use anything as a dividing issue.

Religion. Up north you/family do your own thing. Some communities are well mixed, others not much but its your own business. Down South, after name introductions the First Question is: What Church do you attend? And no shit, the answer to this question will lead one of to ways; an invite to their very next Church Service or the conversation dies on the spot. Bless their little Hearts. Christian Worship isn't good enough, its got to be in line with "theirs". Its the Sothern Ladies that drop this question the majority of the time but a few men have too. I don't think those folks rank high enough to make "Judgement" but they do. Lol

Every visit "down South" has always included some "born and breed" character tossing out the "Yankee" moniker in some form of question. Hmmm, seem to me folks down South are more wrapped around the axle over the north/south thing. I just don't care, so it never bothers me. Ready for the reversal? I read with interest, dozens of Confererate related comments: from Flags to what it was and wasn't about, Northern agression and Southern oppression. Where's that continuous geographical anamosity come fròm? Not to push buttons, but the view from the Win and Lose boxes are different and from the latter it dosen't fad with time. YMMV
    Well, the "church you go to" matters.
    If I want to protect my community, tribe and by extension, country I want to know what you are bringing to the table that maybe will dilute the strength of my way of life, and by extension becomes infiltration.

Isn't that why we voted for a President to build a wall? Well, that is a wall right there, in some cases where needed.

In other cases, perhaps the person is trying to find what may be in common and build connection. Just as men ask "what football team do you support? Oh you are a Gator, I am a Gator, too." So there is a bond that occurs when that happens.

In yet others, they may wish to avoid the awkwardness that could result from making an invitation that inevitably will be refused. For example, if the person you've just met and want to be friendly towards attends the Kingdom Hall, they simply are not going to accept an invitation to a Baptist social dinner. Why not just ask a nice general question showing interest about them first.

Here in the South we do these sorts of things. It can be appreciated for what is it without attempting to change it because it certainly is not a problem that needs a solution.

To think that I should simply welcome you and your ways when you are in my turf is another form of Nothern superiority as I perceive per my personal experience.

Only the superior think and act as if they should be accepted unconditionally.

My husband who at age 10 had to move to Manhattan, says New Yorkers are so convinced of general superiority to everybody else that "not trash talking" is just because everybody knows it, it doesn't remotely need to be said. You tend to talk about things that are in dispute not what is already established.

Not even talking about Southerners is another silent way of asserting that your ways are superior and I still witness this in New Yorkers that are here to THIS DAY.

I honestly can't stand it. It is also buried in their attitude and remarks are plenty and delivered in a friendly, innocent way ( "What's up with Florida and guns?" )..it is really SNAKE like ( "Is it so that God told you that from the fruit of Knowledge of good and bad you shall not eat it" ...)

There are many ways they try to infiltrate and persuade to overrule your will and beliefs to superimpose their will and beliefs over yours.

There is a guy from NY who just moved to Florida putting out YouTube videos PREACHING the ways of the North to overcome the things that he dissaproves and thinks are "problems" ( his perception ) about the South. All that under a very friendly and "helpful" title.
    Always "trying to help" - is another cloak of infiltration and SUBVERSION. As a commonplace example.

Seriously, how much more smug and arrogant can you get?

That is not to say New Jersey has the same attitude. In fact my modern day experience is New Jersey natives I met are pretty much like the Irish in London: down to earth, friendly but not welcoming into their clan. They are first and foremost Irish and will marry Irish ( "you and your family" ).
    Great to be with but there is a clear line between them versus us. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with that! They make great friends and are a pleasure to socialize with.

Actually, my other impression was that New Yorkers also think that people from New Jersey are inferior.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, the "church you go to" matters.
    If I want to protect my community, tribe and by extension, country I want to know what you are bringing to the table that maybe will dilute the strength of my way of life, and by extension becomes infiltration.

Really?
    Am I not entitled to religous freedom (including atheism) and you are? To which you want to discriminate against my choice (generic) to "protect your community/tribe". YOU have no right to information of anyone's private life (especially religion) of which you may desire undermine it, if it doesn't correspond to you beliefs. Is religous persecution and cleansing the tool to keep things off and away from your table? This is still the U.S.A. and we don't hold Spanish Inquisitions, Witch trials or Church Tribunals to purge individuals with religous beliefs other then yours or your tribes/community. Religous Rights are protected, awkward invites is trivial and the football analogy fails miserably. If a religion or a way of life is deluted, it's because it wasn't strong enough in the first place. You've overstepped on this one.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really?
    Am I not entitled to religous freedom (including atheism) and you are? To which you want to discriminate against my choice (generic) to "protect your community/tribe". YOU have no right to information of anyone's private life (especially religion) of which you may desire undermine it, if it doesn't correspond to you beliefs. Is religous persecution and cleansing the tool to keep things off and away from your table? This is still the U.S.A. and we don't hold Spanish Inquisitions, Witch trials or Church Tribunals to purge individuals with religous beliefs other then yours or your tribes/community. Religous Rights are protected, awkward invites is trivial and the football analogy fails miserably. If a religion or a way of life is deluted, it's because it wasn't strong enough in the first place. You've overstepped on this one.
    And I think you over reacted.
    Of course you are entitled to your religious freedom.

The Church of Satan is free and operates in the US.
    Black magic and Voodoo also.
    So I stand by what I said that the way you live and your beliefs matter to whether I want to be in close association with someone or not.

My point was I also enjoy the freedom to invite you or not to my home/curch/community.
    And to accept or decline your invitation to your home/church/community.

There is a BIG difference between discrimination and discernment.

And I will not kowtow to anyone crying racism or discrimination when I am practicng discernment.
    This, too. is manipulation.

Thank you for proving my point.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, I was born in Oregon, but raised in NJ. As a northern implant to the south, it's very refreshing down here versus the north.

My wife and I were very shocked when we first came down to Florida and the south in general.

People actually held the door open for you, people said hello and good morning/good afternoon. Kids are polite. They call you Sir or Ma'am. They say please and thank you. Perfect strangers will start a conversation with no hesitation.

This wasnt present where I lived up there. No one cared about each other. People stay in their houses and keep to themselves.

Its black and white 100%

South beats the north any day of the week.

Doc

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My first trip to Illinois was to a small town outside the Quad Cities area
    Stopped at a convenience store for coffee and said good morning to a small town cop only to have him sneer and walk away. After a week spent between Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities and Cambridge, Illinois I was tired of the rude people and more than ready to get back to NW Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And I think you over reacted.
    Of course you are entitled to your religious freedom.
    The Church of Satan is free and operates in the US.
    Black magic and Voodoo also.
    So I stand by what I said that the way you live and your beliefs matter to whether I want to be in close association with someone or not.
    My point was I also enjoy the freedom to invite you or not to my home/curch/community.
    And to accept or decline your invitation to your home/church/community.
    There is a BIG difference between discrimination and discernment.
    And I will not kowtow to anyone crying racism or discrimination when I am practicng discernment.
    This, too. is manipulation.
    Thank you for proving my point.

Since when does "decernment" encompass action of "I want to protect ......" ? Your (#14) making judgemental decisions based on another persons beliefs, which you don't like ("oppose" may be more representative) and plan to act based on that unfavorable judgement: to protect. It reads like your the designated "Neighborhood Religious Purity Watch Person" and reeked of intolerance. Now (#16), you redecorate and soften you prior narrative (your not planning to protect the community and its about house calls) then say I'm playing too rough: who is manipulating?

I'll be blunt here because you missed it or choose to ignore it:
    A. That religions must be treated equally and your preference does not entitle it to have Rights above any other.
    B. We don't cherry pick the Constitution and reserve/restrict Rights of free citizens. Nor trample Liberties due to others with self imposed religious fears.
    C. When you cross paths with other people, it's none of your business how they lawfully worship as they choose, be they Catholics, Mormon, Buddhist, Satanic, Voudon/Voudo or Atheist. Your not entitled to know how much they paid in taxes, who they voted for or if they only have sex missionary position w/wo contraceptives.
    D. If standing up for Rights, Liberties, Privacy and expressing concern about religious driven discrimination is kowtow by your interpretation, well that's your label.

English separatists of a Puritan sect landed at Plymouth 400 years ago this month seeking religious freedom. That Liberty and Right continues today, though greatly expanded and diverse; therein lies its beauty and grace.

Top Bottom