• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Grandson turns 21 next birthday and I'm gonna give him a pistol. Personally I'm not a striker fired guy, but he might like them. I don't want to buy him a compact, I feel like a full size is more conducive for learning fundamentals. I learned the hard way about buying a nice pistol as a 1st for my son, much like buying your 16 year old a nice new 1st car.
    So with all that, I'm down to either a Taurus G3 or a TH9. I want it to be new. They'll end up with my HKs, when they pry them from my dead cold hands, and I'm not dead yet, lol
    Anyone have either? Looking at reviews they're reliable, and the only real complaints are the triggers aren't the greatest.
    What are you looking to spend?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I do own a striker fired Glockalike19;Got it for a higher capacity semi auto to carry during the rowdy season and it's a good SHTF carry when the time comes.Glock mags are everywhere indeed

Attachments

• 1000006825.jpg
      1000006825.jpg
      584.7 KB · Views: 7

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Grandson turns 21 next birthday and I'm gonna give him a pistol. Personally I'm not a striker fired guy, but he might like them. I don't want to buy him a compact, I feel like a full size is more conducive for learning fundamentals. I learned the hard way about buying a nice pistol as a 1st for my son, much like buying your 16 year old a nice new 1st car.
    So with all that, I'm down to either a Taurus G3 or a TH9. I want it to be new. They'll end up with my HKs, when they pry them from my dead cold hands, and I'm not dead yet, lol
    Anyone have either? Looking at reviews they're reliable, and the only real complaints are the triggers aren't the greatest.
    Nothing but respect for Taurus, though I've never owned one... maybe because I always thought I could "afford better". Sold plenty at the dealer I used to work for 30 years ago. Good idea as a "first gun", even if it's not perfect. What's the worst that could happen? Getting some experience clearing malfunctions? Not that I even think you should expect that.

Same with the HKs, though I've never owned one because I thought I couldn't afford that much better! :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nothing but respect for Taurus, though I've never owned one... maybe because I always thought I could "afford better". Sold plenty at the dealer I used to work for 30 years ago. Good idea as a "first gun", even if it's not perfect. What's the worst that could happen? Getting some experience clearing malfunctions? Not that I even think you should expect that.

Same with the HKs, though I've never owned one because I thought I couldn't afford that much better! :)

I've carried a lot more expensive sidearms than Taurus, but they've all been considered tools;I did like the HKp30, but it was a polymer frame and wasn't exactly my cup of tea

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here's a good example of what happens when the supply runs out or they get banned. This was during the plandemic. Normal cost is $25. But when you can't get anymore....
    After things settled down I upped my count to 25. JIC. YMMV.
    View attachment 282169
    How quickly we forget. When they can't ban the firearm..... Ammo and mags quickly move to the front of the line. I had 2 people trying to trade me gold for CZ 457 mags at that time.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    What are you looking to spend?
    Sub $300. IDK maybe a Glock clone, I personally don't like Glocks, he might? I sold the only one I had about a month after I bought it. I'm thinking now instead of surprising him, I'll just take him shopping and let him pick it himself. He just got his EMT license and 1st full-time job, I'm hoping he'll have access to some training through the town where he works?! (Florala) We've shot together, and he's one of the recipients of the 22 rifles this past Christmas. If he likes pistols and wants something really nice, he can afford what ever he wants, he bought himself a Harley Davidson last year when he turned 18.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    How quickly we forget. When they can't ban the firearm..... Ammo and mags quickly move to the front of the line. I had 2 people trying to trade me gold for CZ 457 mags at that time.
    Yep. I should have sold the 10 I had, but was leary. What if.... missed opportunity to use the $$$ for another toy and buy more later.

CaptnBob105

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have 3 !! two PT845's and one PT111 G2. All have had MANY rounds(1k+) down the pipe on each one with no issues. I did send one back to Taurus years ago because the mag was a bit Sticky. 15days round trip no charge (except for initial outgoing shipping). Took the first one PT845 on trade (it was new/unfired). thought it would be a good truck gun. ended up carrying it for a few years. the PT111 G2 was initially for the wife, but being dbl stack, it was a bit heavy. now it's my carry. all that said, after 40+ years of shooting, no need to pay double $ for one of the over priced brands.

Top Bottom