• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Most ladies cannot EFFECTIVELY shoot a 357Mag load out of any revo. Believe it or not,tons of men can't either. Do her a favor and research this before you buy. A full power load out of a Glock 40S&W is to me more manageable than a 357mag load coming out of a 4" DA revo. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

bowserb

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Couple of things to consider here.

First of all, it is, generally speaking, a mistake to "buy a gun for my wife". If your wife is going to have a gun, it should be a gun that she selects for herself. That means that at the very least, she goes to the gun shop--preferably with you not along--and tries them on for size and picks the one she likes best. Better yet, she goes to a range that has gun rentals. One indoor range near me allows a single rental charge and then you try as many as you want (you also pay the shooting rental charge by the hour and have to use their ammo, of course.) This assumes that she already has shooting experience and training. If shooting is new to her, then the first trip should be for a shooting lesson from someone that also lets her try several types of guns during the lesson.

Next matter is what is the gun for? Hey man, Taurus makes cheap copies of good guns. If you know that, and this is just a fun gun for shooting once in a while at paper or steel targets, then go for it. If it is for home defense or concealed carry, then you need to look at the reputation of Taurus for reliability...or rather lack of reliability. The lifetime warranty is irrelevant, because most Taurus pistols get a couple hundred rounds shot for their whole life. The CEO of Taurus was once quoted as knowing that their guns are cheap and unreliable but added that they're trying to do better. Again, OK for a fun gun. Not OK for personal defense.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would respectfully...COMPLETELY...disagree with you re. your assessment of Taurus. "Cheap copies of good guns" ?? Which "good guns" ?? S&W ?? "Reputation of Taurus for reliability" ?? By owning several Taurus revo's I find them just as reliable as the other brands. I have friends that own,carry,and compete with Taurus' and they have no more failure rate than the rest of the brands. AND.....if the lifetime warranty of Taurus is irrelevant,then are the other companies warranties irrelevant ??

I would agree with the process that your wife should go through to select a firearm ....except ....would like to add --> never allow a lady to pick the firearm "she absolutely loves" simply by it's size. She cannot get the best of ALL worlds. Small and/or light ='s heavy/snappy recoil. Example.... most ladies cannot shoot a KelTec P-3AT effectively. That's a 380Auto. Arm her with the knowledge to make an informed decision. Remember also that any gun is better than no gun. Don't rule out the small snubbies loaded with 38Spec...NOT +P. Maybe a light loaded 148gr full wadcutter.

Finally....(Taurus)"Not ok for personal defense". I respectfully disagree. --- SAWMAN

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My last SO had a Glock 27... great pistol... problem.... she could not rack the slide... once i saw that we didn't even go the rest of the way with her shooting it (she purchased before we were an item) We ended up getting her a 38 special revolver... I felt better about it and she was able to control the recoil and obviously was able to load and fire the weapon without assistance.

Just something to keep in mind, she wasn't a girly girl but did not have the hand strength to grip and work the slide on a automatic reliably.

Also disagree about the Taurus reliability... seen a ton of them go boom... I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I personally have seen more "expensive" "nice" guns fail than cheaper guns... sometimes tight tolerances get in the way of something actually functioning in the real world.

Last edited:

armyguardus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now yaul are going to say I'm crazy but we purchased one but not in .357 but in .44 now with that said I did forget to mention that she has grown up shooting large calliber wheel guns that was the issue she had with the autos she couldn't work the slide and she is the one that picked the .44 by the way

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom