• ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Just had two dogs trying to get into my chicken coop. Pits off their leashes. Not any of my nearby neighbors dogs... What are some recommendations to scare off dogs that don't involve me shooting birdshot into my backyard?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just had two dogs trying to get into my chicken coop. Pits off their leashes. Not any of my nearby neighbors dogs... What are some recommendations to scare off dogs that don't involve me shooting birdshot into my backyard?

1) Build a fence around the area you want to keep the dogs out of.

2) Other than a physical barrier, of the after-the-fact “dog-repellent” options, I think one that would be safe around your chickens would be a properly aimed and strategically armed “scarecrow sprinkler”.

Also, if you search Bezos’ online store for “Critter Ridder” and/or “Scarecrow Sprinkler”, you will find some options.

I found the following write-ups online:

“Critter Ridder​

Critter Ridder is an organic dog repellent put out by the maker of Havahart traps (humane traps used to relocate live animals). Available in both granules and sprays, Critter Ridder works as a dog repellent because it gives off a smell of black pepper, which canines find offensive. Havahart also offers Cat & Dog Granular Animal Repellent. One major selling point of this product is that it is supposed to be long-lasting (up to 60 days).”

“Scarecrow Sprinklers​

Unlike dog repellents that come in powder, granule, or spray (liquid) form, no reapplication is required with gadgets like motion-activated scarecrow sprinklers. These can be found under many brand names, such as Orbit, Havahart, and Hoont. Just hook the scarecrow sprinkler up to your garden hose, and let its motion-activated sprinkler mechanism do the work to scare dogs away.”

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    1) Build a fence around the area you want to keep the dogs out of.

2) Other than a physical barrier, of the after-the-fact “dog-repellent” options, I think one that would be safe around your chickens would be a properly aimed and strategically armed “scarecrow sprinkler”.

Also, if you search Bezos’ online store for “Critter Ridder” and/or “Scarecrow Sprinkler”, you will find some options.

I found the following write-ups online:

“Critter Ridder​

Critter Ridder is an organic dog repellent put out by the maker of Havahart traps (humane traps used to relocate live animals). Available in both granules and sprays, Critter Ridder works as a dog repellent because it gives off a smell of black pepper, which canines find offensive. Havahart also offers Cat & Dog Granular Animal Repellent. One major selling point of this product is that it is supposed to be long-lasting (up to 60 days).”

“Scarecrow Sprinklers​

Unlike dog repellents that come in powder, granule, or spray (liquid) form, no reapplication is required with gadgets like motion-activated scarecrow sprinklers. These can be found under many brand names, such as Orbit, Havahart, and Hoont. Just hook the scarecrow sprinkler up to your garden hose, and let its motion-activated sprinkler mechanism do the work to scare dogs away.”
    I have the stakes for an electric fence... I was planning on putting one of those up around the coops

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have the stakes for an electric fence... I was planning on putting one of those up around the coops
    Get one for cattle. Sarco? Brand. Not those pissy cheap ones. One zap, you won't see em again. Also kills lizards, birds and snakes. Yellow poly fence wire is what we use. Inside AND outside the wire fence.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Do a solar electrical fence so it don't cost you any money every month. Me and my mom did that on our electrical pasture fence. I think a dog would be able to get over or under an electrical fence pretty easily tho. Our dogs did, but it was just a single strand every foot or so high.

I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to put down that pack of pit bulls. They just going to keep coming back, and one day it won't be for your chickens

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Do a solar electrical fence so it don't cost you any money every month. Me and my mom did that on our electrical pasture fence. I think a dog would be able to get over or under an electrical fence pretty easily tho. Our dogs did, but it was just a single strand every foot or so high.

I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to put down that pack of pit bulls. They just going to keep coming back, and one day it won't be for your chickens
    That's what Im leaning towards. I have the yellow Poly wire and a solar charger that's rated for horses.

Paintball is going to be another option most likely. I keep seeing neighbors dogs, but they don't mess with the chickens. These 2 just run loose and are not from anyone on my street.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    That's what Im leaning towards. I have the yellow Poly wire and a solar charger that's rated for horses.

Paintball is going to be another option most likely. I keep seeing neighbors dogs, but they don't mess with the chickens. These 2 just run loose and are not from anyone on my street.
    Put the dog catcher to work, it's his job.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Put the dog catcher to work, it's his job.
    I volunteered with the Santa Rosa Animal Shelter, I like dogs and want them taken care of.

However, I have a 3 year old and a bunch of chickens on my own land. I have seen these dogs on my trial cams a few times before. It's not like they got out in a freak accident. Im going to need to do more than just have a fence and try to shoot 20 gauge into the ground to scare them off.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I volunteered with the Santa Rosa Animal Shelter, I like dogs and want them taken care of.

However, I have a 3 year old and a bunch of chickens on my own land. I have seen these dogs on my trial cams a few times before. It's not like they got out in a freak accident. Im going to need to do more than just have a fence and try to shoot 20 gauge into the ground to scare them off.
    County animal control will collect them.

Top Bottom