• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know for hunting deer in Florida there is a 5 rd magazine capacity for semi auto rifles... Is there a round limit on pistols as well?

This was all I could find at FWC website

Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game

This document doesn’t address or advise persons as to local ordinances prohibiting the discharge of firearms or as to the validity of such ordinances.
    Taking migratory game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three rounds (plugged)
    Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds when hunting deer
    Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer
    Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer
    Rifles or pistols for taking migratory game birds
    Fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms
    Explosive or drug-injecting arrows

Last edited:

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks Frank I should have known you would have the answer.. looking like my new 10.5 AR pistol is going to the woods with me

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    See there you might have an issue, an AR pistol may get into a gray area especially with FWC not knowing all the laws and not understanding what an AR pistol is. I only carry a 5 rd mag in mine during deer season..UNtil after deer hunting times then I will toss a 10 in.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry,but ..... just wondering why you would need/worry about/wonder about having a mag of more than 5rds capacity in your AR (pistol OR rifle)to be used for deer hunting. If you had a choice and you knew that it was legal,how big of mag would you use for hunting deer ?? 20,30,maybe a Beta Mag. Is not 6 shots total enough ??

My opinion is this. If you get caught using a 20,30,or other,shot mag while clearly deer hunting(especially after killing a deer)you weapon will be confiscated,you will be handed a summons and/or go to jail,you will be a/the test case for the interpretation of the AR pistol/rifle law and sadly you will not help the other hunters that want to use their AR "pistol" for hunting deer,hogs,or coyotes.

Me ...? If I ever considered using my 10.5" 6.8 AR pistol for hunting deer I would use a 5 shot mag. I would have no other mag on my person other than a 5 shot mag. I would feel that 6 total shots is all I would ever need to kill a deer given proper shot placement.

But hey .................. thats just me. --- SAWMAN

redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Call FWC 8884043922 they will answer all your questions stoopid or not if they don't know the answer they will look it up and call you back

From the deep woods

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry,but ..... just wondering why you would need/worry about/wonder about having a mag of more than 5rds capacity in your AR (pistol OR rifle)to be used for deer hunting. If you had a choice and you knew that it was legal,how big of mag would you use for hunting deer ?? 20,30,maybe a Beta Mag. Is not 6 shots total enough ??

My opinion is this. If you get caught using a 20,30,or other,shot mag while clearly deer hunting(especially after killing a deer)you weapon will be confiscated,you will be handed a summons and/or go to jail,you will be a/the test case for the interpretation of the AR pistol/rifle law and sadly you will not help the other hunters that want to use their AR "pistol" for hunting deer,hogs,or coyotes.

Me ...? If I ever considered using my 10.5" 6.8 AR pistol for hunting deer I would use a 5 shot mag. I would have no other mag on my person other than a 5 shot mag. I would feel that 6 total shots is all I would ever need to kill a deer given proper shot placement.

But hey .................. thats just me. --- SAWMAN

Maybe he dont own a 5 round mag and not gonna waste money if its not legally needed or doesnt have time to get one before next hunt? Maybe he is afraid that little old 6.8 might need 30 shots to kill a big OLE Fl deer? Its Not like he has a 300 blackout pistol so cut the guy some slack i mean if i were to hunt deer with my 10-22 i would take a 25 round mag. Just saying

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Maybe he dont own a 5 round mag and not gonna waste money if its not legally needed or doesnt have time to get one before next hunt? Maybe he is afraid that little old 6.8 might need 30 shots to kill a big OLE Fl deer? Its Not like he has a 300 blackout pistol so cut the guy some slack i mean if i were to hunt deer with my 10-22 i would take a 25 round mag. Just saying

Stanley joking or not you are very mis-informed and I will be glad to loan him a 5 rd 6.8 mag till he can get one.

Protip: Don’t Use Subsonic 300 BLK for Hunting

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/09/foghorn/protip-dont-use-subsonic-300-blk-for-hunting/

redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take a 3/8 wooded rod cut to fit in the mag so it will stop at 5 rounds and bam you have a mag that will only hold 5 rounds

From the deep woods

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Take a 3/8 wooded rod cut to fit in the mag so it will stop at 5 rounds and bam you have a mag that will only hold 5 rounds

From the deep woods

That may work but the rule is not field changeable and permanent modified, they may accept that or not, always better to be safe than sorry. In fl I have never needed more that 5 rds for deer or hogs and always carry 2 5rd mags anyway.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wow... OK this question went sideways.. I guess I need to clarify.
    Normally when I hunt (bow, shotgun, rifle) I carry a handgun with me.. Now I have a new "pistol" so I was curious about if I needed a 5 rd mag to carry it.
    Most of my hunting this year is for my son he is hunting, I'm just accompanying him on his hunt, he is using a 6.8 that was built with help from FrankT.

redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See there you might have an issue, an AR pistol may get into a gray area especially with FWC not knowing all the laws and not understanding what an AR pistol is. I only carry a 5 rd mag in mine during deer season..UNtil after deer hunting times then I will toss a 10 in.

Now you are back to this IMO

From the deep woods

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Right.. I get that they may not be up to speed on the clarification of the "pistol" I'll play it safe if I do carry it and run a 5 rd.. I was not advocating a beta mag for hunting.. Just clarifying how many rounds were legal to carry.. Sorry for the confusion

redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. Good tread AR pistols are becoming a big thing and we need to get the info out there

From the deep woods

Top Bottom