• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Anybody have/use it? I have been on the waiting list since Feb/March time frame. Im just looking for feedback on how well it works. Or if it dont work thats good to know too. At the moment it still sounds like the best option for high speed in my area north of cantonment. I currently have hughsnet and wouldnt wish it on anybody

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can’t speak for starlink but I have mediacom in the Milton city limits and I have probably lost service 5+ times today alone. I don’t think any of these companies are doing well

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Can’t speak for starlink but I have mediacom in the Milton city limits and I have probably lost service 5+ times today alone. I don’t think any of these companies are doing well

Mediacom is a whole 'nother level of absolute trash. Had Cox when I lived in Pensacola and I barely ever lost connection.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mediacom is a whole 'nother level of absolute trash. Had Cox when I lived in Pensacola and I barely ever lost connection.
    Cox was ok for me when I was in Pensacola, but ATT has been way better. Much faster and cheaper than cox. It was one of my priorities when looking for a home - Internet providers.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Well as of now. Hughsnet (current provider), and viasat (when they take on new customers) are our only options. We are 1500 feet too far away for frontier wired connection for a constant 6 mbs connection. Even though frontier employee says they have the parts and ability to run fiber clear through past my house they wont run it down the main highway. Cox and att do not service the area. And verizon has great cell signal but no home internet option other than fiber and thats not in the area either

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Well as of now. Hughsnet (current provider), and viasat (when they take on new customers) are our only options. We are 1500 feet too far away for frontier wired connection for a constant 6 mbs connection. Even though frontier employee says they have the parts and ability to run fiber clear through past my house they wont run it down the main highway. Cox and att do not service the area. And verizon has great cell signal but no home internet option other than fiber and thats not in the area either
    Does Verizon have ability to do a mobile hotspot? (that tends to get pricy, but might be better depending on how much data you use)

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look into the 5g home service from Tmobile. If available at your location it has a good reputation for fast speed and no limit at only $50 monthly with no contract. We don't have the home service but do have T mobile phone service and get well over 200 (sometimes over 300) mbps speed with very good coverage and way cheaper than any other plan we looked into. Hardly ever find a dead spot.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Cox up in Cantonment is fast, twice the speed of AT&T.

Starlink will be great when its all up and running IF you are off the beaten path.

I believe if you have ready access to wired solutions, they will be faster and cheaper.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still waiting for technology to figure out how to produce a reliable/strong connection in cloud cover/bad weather. In the frequency range that satellite signals operate, they are virtually line of sight, and anything in the way impedes the signal. Sure, I'll grant it is better than nothing.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We have att in Milton, last weekend we lost all service all weekend. It happens probably once a month, sometimes just for the evening sometimes a day.
    I guess it’s good to know Cox is also trash, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have att in Milton, last weekend we lost all service all weekend. It happens probably once a month, sometimes just for the evening sometimes a day.
    I guess it’s good to know Cox is also trash, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything
    Same. I think I had to log back into work 5+ times today. Kinda sucks for the customers in my line of work to get hung up on in the middle of a call.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Time to revive this old thread. lol
    Years have passed - How is Starlink working for folks? (Im looking at getting it)

Neil222

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Time to revive this old thread. lol
    Years have passed - How is Starlink working for folks? (Im looking at getting it)
    I used viasat and got rid of it the first month. Completely useless to me. I can’t say enough about Starlink. We’ve had it for several months and it’s never let us down. Extremely fast and trouble free. Initial expense is a bit high but well worth it in the long run.

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Ive been using it for 2 years now.. Only issues I've had is during heavy rain it will cut out. Also it's expensive.. No other viable options where my neighborhood is unfortunately. I mounted it on the roof using parts from a dish satellite mount. Worked well. Speeds have slowed over time as they brought more people on the network and upcharge for faster connections. Still better than the other limited alternatives. My biggest concern is when I do have an issue how long will I be down..

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So we have had starlink since January/February of 2022. Short answer… we love it. Especially compared to hughsnet. It does cost about $30 more per month but well worth.
    The only time we have ever lost service is if we lost power. All of these thunderstorms and clouds have never given us an issue. Maybe a small outage or slowdown very early on if there was a network issue but that is out of our hands with any service. We have it mounted with an old satellite mount onto the brick chimney. Its on the back side of the roof almost at the peak. Barely visible from the road.
    The router is strong, I can get wifi at every corner of my 5 acres of land and even inside my metal shop- all with just the router no extenders, mesh system, or boosters.
    We have the gen 2 system and I now see they ship the gen 3 system
    Captured this speed test moments ago

Attachments

• IMG_5127.png
      IMG_5127.png
      76.9 KB · Views: 11

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    We use it for work as the backup internet and it works great.

I am going to order the upgraded system this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom