• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried to Stamp their AR lower with their NFA SBS or SBR information. I'm looking to see if there was a stamp set that you used that worked pretty well for you. I have the HF ones and they suck at it on my lower blank. I know that Laser Engraving is better, but everyone that I used in the past and was suggested in another thread here, doesn't do it anymore. The only I found is Drunk Irish, but their turn around is a week. So I figured Stamping may be a better route, since I would miss her too much and I'm a cheap bastard.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried to Stamp their AR lower with their NFA SBS or SBR information. I'm looking to see if there was a stamp set that you used that worked pretty well for you. I have the HF ones and they suck at it on my lower blank. I know that Laser Engraving is better, but everyone that I used in the past and was suggested in another thread here, doesn't do it anymore. The only I found is Drunk Irish, but their turn around is a week. So I figured Stamping may be a better route, since I would miss her too much and I'm a cheap bastard.
    Would they allow you to simply use a battery and etch it that way? I see folks do it with fake pony roll marks etc to clone marks on lowers etc and they can get a really deep and clean result.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah, I've see that too, it looks messy. My plan B is to use a dremel and engrave that way. Just don't trust my hands to do it right off the bat.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    The rule used to be .003 deep. A standard engraver I don't believe will do it.
    Week is not a bad turn around. Get it done on the bottom of the magwell and it won't be an eye sore.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The rule used to be .003 deep. A standard engraver I don't believe will do it.
    Week is not a bad turn around. Get it done on the bottom of the magwell and it won't be an eye sore.
    Don't forget about the "Cheap As Hell" part...lol. I've had stuff laser engraved before, I'm trying to justify a 20w output laser with the wife.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lay 2 pieces of masking tape down to have a straight line between them and stamp it. Id practice on something else first

Great idea.

ETA- when using the punch set you have to smack it with moderate force... I wonder if repeated impacts like that would cause a slight bend or collapse of the aluminum wall in that area.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Working on my blank lower....I think the issue is that I need to fully strip the actual lower and make it more level than what I have. I made a bench block out of a piece of spare 2x4....it's coming out better. I think that I will go over it with a dremel to make it look better. All I need is a depth of .003, which is like a piece of hair,

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Is this even a thing if you don't intend to sell?

I don't intend to sell, but I don't want to be anywhere close to an ATF considered "noncompliant" weapon. The Form 1 stipulates in instruction number 2K, the requirements on marking the firearm. So, that is what I would do. I wouldn't want to be the one getting questioned by an ATF officer and my agreement start off with ... " on the internet..." lol

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    the ATF has super strict rules on font size and depth. i wouldn't go messing around and possibly have stamp denied for trying to save a few bucks... jm2c, ymmv.

Reactions: FLT

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the ATF has super strict rules on font size and depth. i wouldn't go messing around and possibly have stamp denied for trying to save a few bucks... jm2c, ymmv.
    Yep...read the ATF GuideBook. At least a min depth of .003 inch and a print size no smaller than 1/16 of an inch. So going bigger on both. Don't want any misunderstandings with the ATF Man.

Top Bottom