• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Weather turned OK, and I was able to go to my friend's goat farm in Holt. Overall, the squirrels were smaller there this time. Did manage to get 9 in spite of the wind moving the tree branches making it harder to spot the squirrels. My friend said not many acorns this year. Just got done cleaning them and will save them for the grand kids and I. My wife and daughter won't eat them, but the grand kids and I snarf them up.

Will be in Georgia at my brother's farm for deer hunting this season. May take my .22 rifle and see if I can get some of those much larger fox squirrels that you can hunt in Georgia.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Did a quick search for smoked squirrel and found this:

"I take two or 3 squirrels and put them in a pressure cooker for about 40 min. Out of the cooker and into the smoker preheated to 150 to 160 and smoke for 1 to 1 1/2 hours with hickory. Out of the smoker and pull all the meat off the bone and into the tupperware. Makes for some great sandwichs .
    This works great for me and I hope it helps you out."

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you sure on the 40 minutes in the pressure cooker. I have never done more than 10 and it falls of the bone. Even the toughest squirrel only take around 10. Young ones only 4 to 5 minutes. Just asking cause I never had anything in a pressure cooker for that long, unless canning in jars.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Your wife and daughter are waaaaaaaaayyyyy smarter than you are. Anybody that would eat a gray squirrel (aka "tree rat') would probably eat a :censored: .

I ate monkey meat on a stick that the old man used to sell just outside my favorite whore house in Bangkok,Vientiane,and others, but will pass on the tree rats even if cooked under pressure. I think that the little bastards carry Ebola also. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Are you sure on the 40 minutes in the pressure cooker. I have never done more than 10 and it falls of the bone. Even the toughest squirrel only take around 10. Young ones only 4 to 5 minutes. Just asking cause I never had anything in a pressure cooker for that long, unless canning in jars.

I read it on the Internet, so it must be true. Never tried it that way myself.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Your wife and daughter are waaaaaaaaayyyyy smarter than you are. Anybody that would eat a gray squirrel (aka "tree rat') would probably eat a :censored: .

I ate monkey meat on a stick that the old man used to sell just outside my favorite whore house in Bangkok,Vientiane,and others, but will pass on the tree rats even if cooked under pressure. I think that the little bastards carry Ebola also. --- SAWMAN

If the squirrel is vomiting, I pass it by.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SAWMAN;197510 I ate monkey meat on a stick that the old man used to sell just outside my favorite whore house in Bangkok said:
    I f you consider your young age and state of mind at the time, are you certain the monkey is what really what was on that stick???? I think they cooked up everything that died and monkey sounded less gross to GI's.

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I've eaten many a strange thing in Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam.

Still, I will eat squirrels. I'm headed up to the property at Mossy Head this weekend to do some cool weather squirrel hunting.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never had squirrel but I would try it. Ive had rattlesnake, gator, rabbit, and plenty of other animals you would see while out hunting. Rattlesnake and emu taste the best to me.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gota pellet gun for Christmas when I was about 10. First time out I shot a squirrel. Came home and told my grandma who was visiting from the Smokey Mountains about it. She congratulated me and asked where it was. I told her still under the tree out in the woods. She almost went postal on me. Demanded thati go back and get it. I did and commenced to get a lecture of epic proportions regarding killing stuff and wasting it. We decided on squirrel stew. I tried to get out of the cleaning and dressing step but nope.

The stew was great.

I have cleaned a serious mess of fish in my life but I'm not so good on land animals.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Make a cut on back legs near tail on each back leg. Break tail bone. Then step on tail very tight to squirrel body. Lift up squirrel by back legs. If you do it right there should be a small piece of skin on each back leg. If you ever see a pro do it it is amazing. Watched many old guys do it when I was young.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I need to weigh in on this one. Squirrel hunting is one of my favorite activities in the woods, with a firearm. (I had to specify for this lot...)
    Squirrels are pretty easy to clean, and if anyone is interested, there is a youtube video by a Mr. Squacks from RimfireCentral who makes it even easier. As for cooking, I suggest stewing, but I've heard some good campfire recipes as well.
    I went out this afternoon, but no luck.
    sj1

pavegunner1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Grew up hunting and eating the big reds in NW Missouri. Good on the grill, iron skillet with bacon fat, or a stew. Soaked em in salt water or milk over night in the fridge before they were cooked up. Gonna try and harvest a few this year but my concern is I see them tearing up green pine cones on my property and worried they may have a bitter piney taste.

Top Bottom