• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff C

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Took this picture several years ago of the result of a squib load. As seen, the bullet failed to completely leave the barrel.
    A squib is when the ammunition, when fired, may not generate enough energy for the round to leave the barrel.
    Indications are a "Pop" instead of a bang or less than normal felt recoil.
    The bullet may or may not leave the barrel so anytime one hears a "Pop" or feels less than expected recoil, one should check the barrel for obstructions before firing the gun again.
    Firing the gun with an barrel obstruction my result in catastrophic damage to the gun and injury to the shooter.
    This could happen to any gun and is an ammunition malfunction.
    Squib load result.jpg

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This happened to me with a Taurus Tracker in 17hmr, I didn’t realize at the time what had happened noticed more than normal black around the cylinder still didn’t register. I shot the gun later and heard the same pop I was punching the bullet out with another round fired while the bullet was lodged in the barrel. After that I shot several rounds and heard the pop so I investigated closer found there was a bullet about 3/4 way down the barrel, punched it out and wrote it off to the ammunition. When this happened I tried different ammo and had it happen a few more times. The other thing I noticed was all the cases were split and flared out, checked the cylinder and found it looked like a 22 magnum cylinder (not necked down) . Called Taurus and was told that was the way it was supposed to be. I sent the gun back to Taurus cost me $50.00 to send it as instructed they kept it for a couple of weeks and sent it back with an invoice saying firearm is repaired. The gun looked like it had never been touched still dirty around the cylinder (purposely left this way) . Long story short I got rid of it and have never bought another Taurus and never will.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    My handloading did this once. 45 colt. Missed the powder charge futzing with the loadmaster. Fired it out of my revolving carbine. Did not sound right, looked and bullet was jammed 1/2 way down the barrel. Used wood dowel to knock it out. Luckily, I realized what happened and stopped. Also had it happen on a 1911 using factory ammo. Was in the woods and had to whittle an oak limb to get it out. Stuff can happen.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    My handloading did this once. 45 colt. Missed the powder charge futzing with the loadmaster. Fired it out of my revolving carbine. Did not sound right, looked and bullet was jammed 1/2 way down the barrel. Used wood dowel to knock it out. Luckily, I realized what happened and stopped. Also had it happen on a 1911 using factory ammo. Was in the woods and had to whittle an oak limb to get it out. Stuff can happen.
    wow, almost identical situation, 45colt / lee progressive press / S&W mod 25 and I was speed shooting steel plates IIRC. Just sounded off and I stopped shooting for some miraculous reason.

Top Bottom