• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I have a son(30 years old) is interested in applying to Customs Border Patrol. He is interested in the bonuses. They offer bonuses if you work in certain places in TX, AZ, and NM, Anyway, I don’t think he would qualify, Strike 1:he got a DUI about 8 years ago. Strike 2: he defaulted on a credit card owes approx $10k. Strike 3: collected unemployment benefits when he should not have, state wants its money back. Strike 4: got into some legal problems when he was a teenager- no legal charges were filed. All this happened in California. I told him don’t waste his time.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a son(30 years old) is interested in applying to Customs Border Patrol. He is interested in the bonuses. They offer bonuses if you work in certain places in TX, AZ, and NM, Anyway, I don’t think he would qualify, Strike 1:he got a DUI about 8 years ago. Strike 2: he defaulted on a credit card owes approx $10k. Strike 3: collected unemployment benefits when he should not have, state wants its money back. Strike 4: got into some legal problems when he was a teenager- no legal charges were filed. All this happened in California. I told him don’t waste his time.

I don't know anything about fed application standards BUT maybe a couple years of local LE under his bely might help?

#1 and #2 are not that bad concerning the watered down qualifications many local agencies have now due to personnel shortages, #3 might be a bigger problem as I assume it involves dishonesty and fraud? If so, he is not going to get hired by anyone.

Not sure I'd want to be in a Fed agency right now anyway...

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The finances can be corrected and may not be a show stopper if he is on some type of plan and making payments. Was he arrested (NCIC number) and for what? Did he take the sobriety test or did he do the smart thing and refuse? When I was a customs agent it was under treasury lol I’m old and predate the DHS BS. Still work with security clearance and suitability issues for employees all the time. Recency and level (severity) of the offense are both matrixed into an A, B, C, or D level hierarchy. As long as no pattern is there things could possibly work out. Worst they can say is no but thank you for your interest in employment with CBP.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your son has no more baggage than many of those in the senate and congress.

Personal take: Get, read, and understand every single word of the oath, and the constitution it is supposed to be based on, plus written/unwritten conditions of employment.

Good luck.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I don't know anything about fed application standards BUT maybe a couple years of local LE under his bely might help?

#1 and #2 are not that bad concerning the watered down qualifications many local agencies have now due to personnel shortages, #3 might be a bigger problem as I assume it involves dishonesty and fraud? If so, he is not going to get hired by anyone.

Thanks for the info, as for #3: he says he was collecting unemployment because of Covid shut downs. But his boss asked him to work a few days a week. He worked too many hours per week to collect. This went on for month.

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Several years ago there were strict age restrictions placed on federal law enforcement applicants, ie, hire dates and retirement age. I'm not sure if they are still in effect. I believe you will find the age question to be more lenient in state and local agencies. Good luck.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Still in effect for feds. Must be selected before age 37. Isabella case law prompted a change and allows veterans to subtract their active duty service. Basic example would be you are 40 but did 10 years active duty so it’s like your 30.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the info, as for #3: he says he was collecting unemployment because of Covid shut downs. But his boss asked him to work a few days a week. He worked too many hours per week to collect. This went on for month.

As long as he is not being charged with Fraud it might not be a deal breaker. If he filed and concealed work/income, he's damn fortunate he has not been arrested/charged.

I'd make squaring that up with the state my #1 priority ASAP.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom