• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yaler1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interested in 8lb and 1lb. Let me know what you have, price, and your location. I am located in Ft. Walton Beach, FL
    Thanks.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will be coming by Styx on Tues. However I believe they will be closed. I will also be stopping at Uber's. Will let you know what they have.
    Do you have an alternative to H110 ?? ---- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Winchester 296 is the same as H110.
    I've also read that W296 is same as H110. My limited testing shows they did not produce the same results in 2 firearms tried. At the time of my testing, I was low on H110 and had more W296 on hand, so I wanted to test W296 to see about using it in the Blackout.

M1 Carbine: With the same weighed charges, I got better accuracy with W296 (loads were not chronographed)...not a huge difference, but could be seen without resorting to measuring groups. Impact point was close enough to not have to change sight settings.

300 Blackout: With the same weighed charges, I got much better accuracy with H110. Specifically the groups were larger and flyers present with W296. W296 gave average of 45fps more than H110 in the same firearm on the same day of testing...about 5 minutes between chronographing, letting the bbl cool with a fan between testing each 5 shots. Would have needed to tweak the sight settings.

Setting my powder measure for a given charge weight with H110, emptying the measure of H110 and then filling with W296, and weighing the thrown W296 charges. W296 thrown charges were a few tenths of a grain heavier. Don't remember the exact amount heavier, but around 0.3-0.4 grain heavier than the 19.0gr thrown charges of H110.

Now my testing took place a few years ago, so that could be a factor. Based upon my experience, if one were to substitute W296 for H110, I'd only load up a few rounds at first to test before jumping in with loading up hundreds or more of rounds. You may have to tweak your loads.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've also read that W296 is same as H110. My limited testing shows they did not produce the same results in 2 firearms tried. At the time of my testing, I was low on H110 and had more W296 on hand, so I wanted to test W296 to see about using it in the Blackout.

M1 Carbine: With the same weighed charges, I got better accuracy with W296 (loads were not chronographed)...not a huge difference, but could be seen without resorting to measuring groups. Impact point was close enough to not have to change sight settings.

300 Blackout: With the same weighed charges, I got much better accuracy with H110. Specifically the groups were larger and flyers present with W296. W296 gave average of 45fps more than H110 in the same firearm on the same day of testing...about 5 minutes between chronographing, letting the bbl cool with a fan between testing each 5 shots. Would have needed to tweak the sight settings.

Setting my powder measure for a given charge weight with H110, emptying the measure of H110 and then filling with W296, and weighing the thrown W296 charges. W296 thrown charges were a few tenths of a grain heavier. Don't remember the exact amount heavier, but around 0.3-0.4 grain heavier than the 19.0gr thrown charges of H110.

Now my testing took place a few years ago, so that could be a factor. Based upon my experience, if one were to substitute W296 for H110, I'd only load up a few rounds at first to test before jumping in with loading up hundreds or more of rounds. You may have to tweak your loads.
    A difference in lots can account for those differences as well.

Yaler1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks folks. Yes, I know 296 is the same but it isn't any easier to find, and when you do, its at scalper prices. Thanks to everyone that commented.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have access to a couple of 8 pound jugs of 296 , they are sealed unopened still in the original shipping box. $248 per jug .

Last edited:

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I have a keg of WC844 which is supposed to be the military equivalent I would let go of.

Attachments

• 20210906_104132.jpg
      20210906_104132.jpg
      703.3 KB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom