APOD Firearms

SOLD For Sale/Trade: Vintage 1905 Remington Model 11 B Special Grade Auto Loader 12 ga in Perdido Key/Orange Beach SOLD

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Up for sale or trade is a vintage Remington Model 11 12ga. The Remington Arms company historian dates this gun to the first year of production in 1905. The gun retains most of its original bluing and is in overall good condition for it's age. The checkering on the forestock is still sharp and the wood on forestock and butt stock are in good condition, no cracks or splintering. The gun shoots and operates as it should. I am sure many of you know much more about the history of this model but for others, a little background on this gun. John Moses Browning had been producing the Browning Auto Loader (Auto 5) in Belgium at the turn of the century. He contracted with Remington to produce the Browning here in the United States after he turned down the Winchesters terms. The gun is in every way, the Browning Auto Loader except Remington self branded and named it the Model 11. It is still considered to be one of the fastest cycling auto loaders even today. Also, according to the Remington official historian, this gun is believed to be a Model 11 B Special Grade, one of two variants offered. The other was the Model 11 A Standard Grade. At some point around 1945-1947, the recoil pad was replaced at the Weisbaden Rod and Gun Club in Weisbaden, Germany. Renowned German engraver and gunsmith Kurt Juergens was hired by the US Army to be the Master Gunsmith and would likely have performed the pad replacement. The recoil pad says Weisbaden Rod and Gun Club on the face. The barrel was replaced sometime after 1930. The barrel code CYL shows a production date of April,1930 if I read the charts correctly. The bore is in good condition. I am asking $750 or will trade for a Walther PPK/S .380, Sig P232, a quality O/U or SxS, quality 1911. I will consider other offers including multi gun trades. Worst I can say is no thank you. SOLD

Attachments

• model 11 1.jpg
      model 11 1.jpg
      13.5 KB · Views: 142
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Up for sale or trade is a vintage Remington Model 11. The Remington Arms company historian dates this gun to the first year of production in 1905. The gun retains most of its original bluing and is in overall very good condition for it's age. The checkering on the forestock is still sharp and the wood on forestock and butt stock are in good condition, no cracks or splintering. The gun shoots and operates as it should. I am sure many of you know much more about the history of this model but for others, a little background on this gun. John Moses Browning had been producing the Browning Auto Loader (Auto 5) in Belgium at the turn of the century. He contracted with Remington to produce the Browning here in the United States after he turned down the Winchesters terms. The gun is in every way, the Browning Auto Loader except Remington self branded and named it the Model 11. It is still considered to be one of the fastest cycling auto loaders even today. Also, according to the Remington official historian, this gun is believed to be a Model 11 B Special Grade, one of two variants offered. The other was the Model 11 A Standard Grade. At some point around 1945-1947, the recoil pad was replaced at the Weisbaden Rod and Gun Club in Weisbaden, Germany. Reknowned German engraver and gunsmith Kurt Juergens was hired by the US Army to be the Master Gunsmith and would likely have performed the pad replacement. The recoil pad says Weisbaden Rod and Gun Club on the face. The barrel was replaced sometime after 1930. The barrel code CYL shows a production date of April,1930 if I read the charts correctly. The bore is in good condition. I am asking $750 or will trade for a Walther PPK/S .380, a quality O/U or SxS, quality 1911. I will consider other offers including multi gun trades. Worst I can say is no thank you.
    I inherited one of these Remingtons in 20 gauge from my grandfather. Not a single hiccup ever. Fine guns for sure

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty sure the CYL is not the date code but the choke designation of Cylinder bore, date codes didn't start until around 1920. If it has a date code it is on the rear of the barrel right near the receiver. Before then the serial number was the only way to match the year and it can be hard to find accurate info on the early models. I recently refurbished one with a four digit serial number that points to 1905. The first guns have no designation on them and are known simply as the Remington Autoloading shotgun, this changed in 1911 when it was renamed the Model 11 and stayed that way until 1948.

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Correct on the naming. The barrel code does in fact give a date of manufacture of the barrel by the first 2 letters and the year put into service (either mounted to a receiver, pulled from inventory to be sold separately or in bulk as in to the US Army back in WWII). I had heard the cylinder bore explanation before but the historian at Remnington gave me the other explanation.There are hand written inventory and production runs from the original Remington UMC that do record the first production years. If I find the link again, I will post it here as well as the Remington barrel date code chart.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used the inventory records on the early Remington's before and they are a big help. I keep the date code chart out all the time for reference. The C would be April and the Y would be 1930, not sure about the L. Another thing to check is to see if the serial number from the gun is also on the barrel. Many of the early guns had this they were usually stamped on the underside of the barrel near the lug.

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The serial number on this gun is 15018 which falls in the 1905 production range in the company's hand written logs from that year. The logs themselves are pretty interesting.

Top Bottom