• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I just bought my fist SOG knife and love it. It's the newest one called the SlimJim. It's VERY thin but also very strong. Great blade and super sharp out the box and has held the edge through some pretty rigorous use so far. Do any of you have feed back good or bad about this brand?

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I like most all thier knives, and yes they are mostly made in china, but still good knives. They build a good strong knife at a reasonable price. They made the special forces infamous bowie that is worth a small fortune if you find one of the few origionals. I can't remember how many were issued, but not alot, and most dissapeared in nam.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i have been daily carrying a SOG Trident for over a year. Best utility, self defense knife I have found for the money.
    It has the seat belt, fishing line indent that allows me to cut without opening the knife.
    Only thing I don't like about it is the safety. Not conducive to quick deployment, so I took the knife apart and removed the safety.
    Comes very sharp and holds an edge. Good knife on the lower end.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jump to: navigation, search
    The SOG knife was designed for, and issued to, covert Studies and Observations Group personnel during the Vietnam War. It was unmarked and supposedly untraceable to country of origin or manufacture in order to maintain plausible deniability of covert operators in the event of their death or capture.[1]

Design[edit]The SOG Knife was designed by Benjamin Baker, the Deputy Chief of the U.S. Counterinsurgency Support Office (CISO).[2] A chrome-moly steel known as SKS-3 was chosen for the blade and hardened to a Rockwell hardness of 55-57.[2] The blade pattern featured a convex false edge on the clip point of a Bowie knife.[1] The stacked leather handle was inspired by a Marbles Gladstone Skinning Knife made in the 1920s owned by Baker, into which finger grooves were molded.[1][2] The blade was typically parkerized or blackened to reduce glare.[1] This was done so by applying a dark gun-blue finish (similar to those used on guns) on this carbon steel knife. The knife was carried in a leather sheath which contained a sharpening steel or whetstone.[1]

The first contract was awarded to Japanese manufacturer Yogi Shokai for 1,300 seven-inch blades designated "Knife, indigenous, RECON, 7", w/scabbard & whetstone" at $9.85 each.[2] In 1966, SOG ordered 1,200 sterile knives with six-inch blades and black sheaths and in March of the following year an additional lot of 3,700 was ordered.[2] This second lot was serial numbered for accountability purposes and was designated "Knife, indigenous, hunting, 6", w/black sheath and whetstone".[2]

In the 1980s a company named SOG Specialty Knives manufactured a knife very similar to the original SOG knife in Seki City, Japan and marked it with the US Army Special Forces Crest.,[1] and named it the "S1 Bowie". The other Vietnam replica knife is known as the "Recon Bowie" by SOG and both knives are manufactured to the same specifications and in the same factory as the original Vietnam-era knives. The last replica knife is the "SCUBA/Demo".

SOG made a version with a stainless steel blade and micarta in commemoration of the U.S. Navy SEALs.,[1] known as the "SOG Trident". Replicas of the SOG knife have been made by Al Mar Knives, Ek Knives, and Strider Knives.[1] None of these knives, however, are currently used by any branch of the US Military in an official capacity. Original models are valuable collector's items among both knife collectors and militaria collectors.

bluedog46

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally I prefer Kershaw based on price and spyderco is a better quality but often higher price. Overall they are a good knife. Most of them seem a bit expensive for the quality.

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the sog trident i had, but honestly couldnt really tell a quality difference between that and the lower end MTECH china knives, im no knife snob though

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    what is this one, WWII? I believe it was my Dad's carried as a Navy fighter pilot, he also had one made from a Spanish saber from the Spanish American War.

Found t a WWII Cattaraugus 225Q
    There were a lot of these made and it will probably never have tremendous collector value. Check ebay to figure out the current market value. To my mind they are one of the best combat/survival knives ever made. Contrary to the common story they were not made for opening crates. There were crowbars for that. They were bought by the quartermaster corp as a secondary standard. They bought a lot of "hunting" knives to meet wartime demands. Sometimes this was even called a commando knife. It is beefier than either the MKII/Kabar or the M3 fighting knife. The large textured pommel could be used for hammering in a pinch. The handle is better than either the MKII or the M3.

For one strictly as a user. Do a little work on my handle with saddle soap. Get it wet and sort of hammered on the leather washers to get them to swell. That will tightened it up. The handles were always somewhat rough. The "left hand" sheath was not particularly for a left-handed user. It was designed to be carried on your left so that you could carry something more critical (like your pistol) on your right side.

Attachments

• PICT0684.JPG
      PICT0684.JPG
      81.7 KB · Views: 180
    Last edited:

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A friend gave me a SOG Twitch XL a few years back. I carry it when I'm dressed decently and am not going to have to abuse my hardware. I love the knife and the customer service is excellent. At one point I took it apart to lube it and ended up breaking the mainspring. I sent it off for repair and it was repaired, sharpened, cleaned and sent back at no charge. That says a lot in my book.

Top Bottom