• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll probably be tempted due to price, but I would strongly (strongly) suggest avoiding anything American made with the possible exception of K-USA's line. Hard pass on Century's line of rifles (C39, VSKA, RAS47, BFT47). Don't even touch anything made by IO or Pioneer. Avoid anything with a Hesse stamp on it (that goes for all rifles, not just AKs). PSA's line of rifles look great but have largely mixed reviews, especially the small bore variants (5.56 and 5.45 guns). Their 7.62 guns are supposedly good now but I still see reports of absolute lemons making their way out.

Arsenal used to be top dog but their QC on new rifles dropped into the toilet the past couple years. Inspect your rifle closely if you choose Arsenal. I've heard mixed things about Riley Defense; had hands on a couple of their rifles and they looked okay but felt kinda cheap.

Honestly it's a rough time to get into AKs. Zastava remains a solid option, although they do not take standard AK furniture. WASRs are too expensive for what they are but they are still available and are overall good rifles (just do your own QC check / inspect it thoroughly when you get it). WBP makes a very nice AKM clone out of Poland. There are still some Polish Beryl rifles floating around out there as well. Atlantic Firearms makes extremely nice parts kit builds for decent prices.
    Cannot got wrong with Zastava...what's you life worth???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Late to the party on this one, but just wanted to throw my 3 cents out about Century Romanian WASR-10's because they get so much flak.

Have owned many, treated them poorly, and never had any malfunctions save for MAYBE one or two fail to feed.

However, on more than one occasion the windage was off and the ol' hammer to the front sight post fixed this. Just be careful throwing it too hard on the floor, making some of your buddies die inside, as you don't want to mess up your windage.

I'd buy a bunch if they were only a few hundred $ again, unless my life depended on one singular rifle.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll probably be tempted due to price, but I would strongly (strongly) suggest avoiding anything American made with the possible exception of K-USA's line. Hard pass on Century's line of rifles (C39, VSKA, RAS47, BFT47). Don't even touch anything made by IO or Pioneer. Avoid anything with a Hesse stamp on it (that goes for all rifles, not just AKs). PSA's line of rifles look great but have largely mixed reviews, especially the small bore variants (5.56 and 5.45 guns). Their 7.62 guns are supposedly good now but I still see reports of absolute lemons making their way out.

Arsenal used to be top dog but their QC on new rifles dropped into the toilet the past couple years. Inspect your rifle closely if you choose Arsenal. I've heard mixed things about Riley Defense; had hands on a couple of their rifles and they looked okay but felt kinda cheap.

Honestly it's a rough time to get into AKs. Zastava remains a solid option, although they do not take standard AK furniture. WASRs are too expensive for what they are but they are still available and are overall good rifles (just do your own QC check / inspect it thoroughly when you get it). WBP makes a very nice AKM clone out of Poland. There are still some Polish Beryl rifles floating around out there as well. Atlantic Firearms makes extremely nice parts kit builds for decent prices.
    I saw on youtube a PSA AK that was taken apart to examine the rivets and it was not properly done. The edges of the receiver should be pressed into the beveled edges of the rivet holes and the rivet heads properly expanded. The cross retaining pin for the firing pin is also improperly placed. Gun will run for a while, but in the opinion of the reviewer, he figures at round count life of 6,000 rounds. At least the one he had was not done right. I have a MAK 90 from china and WASR pruchased 25-30 years ago IIRC. Today a properly made AK will cost about the same as a top tier AR.
    I would look for a used AK made in a former communist country or one from China. And you want to check it out that barrel is not corroded from corrosive ammo. The yugo barrels are not chrome plated, but many of the AKs have chromed barrel will be more tolerant of not having been cleaned.

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    PSA has their reputation of a certain quality for sure for some things. Bang bang, fun range "Aloha Snackbar" run'n'gun AK? go for it.

Still fun to hit steel at a few hundred with irons and poopy steel case.
    Most of the issues are with the early PSA units from the posts I've seen.

Karlfucious

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PSA rifles are fine. They get a lot of flack from the AK purists but I haven't had a single issue with mine.

Romanian AKs are good too and wont break the bank.You can find a WASR 10 or an RH-10 for about the same price as a PSA GF3. I would go with the Romanian over the PSA because I believe they come with the chrome lined barrel. The only difference between the WASR-10 and the RH-10 is the gas block/front sight.

My PSA seems to be able to fit a better variety of mags than my RH-10 but both take Magpul, US palm, Bulgarian Steel just fine. Also the finish is a little bit nicer.

You can't go wrong with Zastava either, Those are probably the best available that you wont be paying outrageous prices for. They are built like a tank but are also heavier than your standard AKM. Those are probably going to run you around $950 on the low end right now unless you can find a killer deal somewhere.

Wasr 10 for $658.75 https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/cent-gp-wasr-10-7.62x39-military-no-bayonet-30rd?gd
    RH-10 for $607.52 https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/cent-arms-rh10-ak47-762x39-30rd-wood#product_detail
    Add to cart to see those prices.

Klugey1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zastava ZPAP M70 is the way to go. I was in the same boat as you 6 weeks ago. Saw a polymer ZPAP at my local pawn shop for $700. Found Yugo surplus furniture and added a Rearden muzzle device for my can.

Attachments

• IMG_9539.jpeg
      IMG_9539.jpeg
      155.2 KB · Views: 36
    • IMG_9516.jpeg
      IMG_9516.jpeg
      552.4 KB · Views: 39
    • IMG_9550.jpeg
      IMG_9550.jpeg
      226.8 KB · Views: 40

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PSA............... Steel just fine. Also the finish is a little bit nicer.

You can't go wrong with Zastava either, Those are probably the best available that you wont be paying outrageous prices for. They are built like a tank but are also heavier than your standard AKM. Those are probably going to run you around $950 on the low end right now unless you can find a killer deal somewhere.

..............etail
    Add to cart to see those prices.
    Some AKs come with a 1.5 mm thick receiver vs 1mm for the Russian AKM types of stamp receivers.

Top Bottom