• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got an SKS that I received as a gift from my Grandfather. It's been modified to use a high capacity magazine rather than the traditional magazine/clip. How do I figure out what type of magazine to buy for it so I have extras? Does it take a regular AK magazine? I'm not really familiar with these, as I primarily have owned either bolt or lever action hunting rifles. Thanks.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    MOre than likely if it takes detachable box magazines they are AK mags. Do you have a picture you can post?

ETA:
    Or possibly it's not modified and takes a standard SKS mag that also releases from the rear of the mag. In which case you could use something like the Tapco 20 round mag if you didn't want to replace it with a standard SKS mag.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If its a duckbill mag, that's an aftermarket SKS design, non duckbill is probably AK. A pic would make it definite.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome, thanks guys....which ones are the most reliable? This one is a 30 round, and it's a pain in the butt to get more than 20 in it, and then it's prone to either jamming or it's fired two rounds off at once on occasion.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ that's pretty much all duckbills
    Slam fire is from a stuck free float firing pin. Can be fixed with a spring kit. Not mag related.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think most people will tell you to stay away from ProMag. They seem to build crap except when it comes to the Saiga mags. Mine came with Tapcos. They seem OK. I've also seen steel ones, but I dont know who makes them.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^ that's pretty much all duckbills
    Slam fire is from a stuck free float firing pin. Can be fixed with a spring kit. Not mag related.

Everyone is in agreement on this thread it seems.

SKS firing pins have no spring to return them out of the firing position, so if they get nasty inside the bolt, the pin can get stuck forward, causing the slam fire.

Easy to find a YouTube video that shows how to take the bolt apart and clean it, mostly it involves pounding out a pin. Both of mine were nasty inside.

Last edited:

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds good, think I'll get a few more and take it to the range. It's a fun gun to shoot, accuracy seems a little iffy but it'll get the job it's designed for done.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    STRIP YOUR SKS AND CLEAN THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!! It will go full auto if the firing pin doesn't float back and forth.
    You can get a spring loaded pin for it, but strip everything and degrease that Russian junk out of EVERY little corner!
    I've stripped mine five times and every time I find more cosmoline in some little crevice. And after you've stripped it, strip it again. Sootch00 did a nice review of the SKS a while back on YouTube. There are also multiple vids showing how to strip and clean it. Oh, you'll forget to pull the gas piston out and clean that.

PS- don't forget to pull the gas piston out and clean it! Twice!

PPS- an Ak sight tool works on the SKS also. Mine fires right down the center line and a little low at the range we tested it at, but it should hit dead center around 250 yards or so. Good luck finding ammo though. That nice, cheap Russian Tulammo is going going gone! And no more imports thanks to a little skirmish over in Crimea.

Last edited:

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome, you guys are great. Thanks for the info, I'll be tearing it down and cleaning it this weekend. I've got some ammo for it, but not enough.....seems to be the deal these days though.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stick with the military grade ammo - harder primers.
    Clean it well - and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Get rid of the duckbill mag - find an original mag box and some stripper clips = weapon will perform flawlessly.
    http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001077&dir=18|830|852 - 1000 rounds for $228 IN STOCK, Non corrosive, and hollow point.
    Lucky guy to have been given a fine weapon like that.

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
    This is the kit I got for my SKS. I actually sent my bolt off to get the "drop free" Mod done. So the mag can be dropped without the bolt having to be back.

Also I only use Tapco mags. There are a few other companies... However their products are trash. If your sticking with the detachable mag pick up a few tapco's and you'll be extremely happy with them. Ive never had a failure. If you're gonna keep the gun wit the wood stock, you're really better off putting the stock mag back on. Most of the people who use the detachable mags have sporterized their guns.

http://www.thesksmagadapter.com/2.html
    I also added this to my sks to remove the damn duckbill! Hate the duckbill.

Hope the info helps.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
    This is the kit I got for my SKS. I actually sent my bolt off to get the "drop free" Mod done. So the mag can be dropped without the bolt having to be back.

http://www.thesksmagadapter.com/2.html
    I also added this to my sks to remove the damn duckbill! Hate the duckbill.

Hope the info helps.
    Good links there. Good prices on the mods as well ( from Murrays).
    I have never had a problem....but the firing pin/bolt mod they are doing looks good.

I don't think I would go the modified duck bill mag route though - I still think that the gun is perfect as-designed with the stripper clips. I cant foresee any situation that I would need to cycle more ammo through that weapon that I could with the original system.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom