• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A real close friend of the family just bought a SKS that will not cycle and I need help. It's the model that has the Semi/Single shoot selector switch on the gas tube for the Gernade launcher barell. I had one before without the switch and it was a POS as well and would not cycle so I just sold it as is and didn't even try to fix it. I looked up a bunch of videos on it and tried the selector yesterday and it still didn't cycle. Any one on here have a clue what it could be? Or does a working SKS exist? Also, I don't have one to compare it to so I don't know , but is the switch supposed to go all the way to the right for semi? This one stops short of going all the way but it won't go any further.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May be a stupid question, but is the grenade launcher selector in the correct position? If not it shut the gas off thus prevents the action from cycling.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May be a stupid question, but is the grenade launcher selector in the correct position? If not it shut the gas off thus prevents the action from cycling.

This was the first thing I thought. The answer is I don't know. The one I had didn't have that valve and this one when I put it in the position the videos said it should be in it doesn't go all the way to the right and I don't know if it is supposed to. It's not locked up. I have to cycle each round manually. I'll take it all the way down and clean everything and look into a new valve if that doesn't work.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    had the same issue on my yugo as well. Changed the gas valve with an "oversize" as Garpo suggested. Dont recall where I got mine from as it was a few years ago, I think sksman.com or something like that.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check a parts diagram....make sure someone has not lost any part of the gas system, or installed them incorrectly.
    If you have all your parts, then you need to make sure that the gas path is clear, and the valve is in the correct position to supply gas to the piston.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had the same issue, the yugo sks was designed to shoot the yugo 7.62x39 ammo. It was the berdan primed brass cased corrosive stuff that used to be really cheap and come on stripper clips. They will shoot this fine but the gas cut off valves bleed gas that should be going to the piston and after years of that corrosive ammo they get too much blow by. When you shoot steel cased ammo, aka wolf, tula, brown bear, ect the gun would fire and not eject the shell without having to beat the bolt open. There is a simple fix to this, find a 7.62x54r round (the one the mosin nagant shoots) and take a metal paper clip and wrap it around the rim of the cartridge and then trim fit it just like a piston ring on an engine. Doesn't have to be perfect but leave a gap so it will fit and that is your field expedient gas valve seal for the yugo. Pop your gas tube off the gun,(the upper handguard) and take the ring you made with the paper clip and place it in the front gas tube between the barrel gas port and the gas tube containing the piston. That will seal the tube up and send the proper amount of gas pressure to the gas piston and the gun will work perfect. Sorry if that was complicated but PM me and I can give you a call and walk you through it.

slick75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank nailed. Take the gas tube off and shake it. If the piston doesnt move freely inside then its probably gummed up with cosmoline. You can also check the gas valve, when the grenade sight is in the stowed (flat) position the gas valve knob should 'lock' over the top of the sight rail. That is the open or semi-auto position. If the knob is on top it is in the single shot position for firing blanks behind the grenade tube.

If its a NEW gun Im betting on cosomline in the gas tube. Thats some nasty stuff and it took us an hour of spraying cleaner down the tube and wiping with rags to get it all out of mine when I got it. As a side note, cosmoline liquifies at around 150*, been told it will practically run out at that temp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom