• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am thinking about going with a single shot deer hunting rifle. I will probably go with a 25-06, or a 22-250. I have looked at the Ruger Number One (expensive). And the H&R/NEF (reasonable).
    Any thoughts or experience? Any other models I should look at?
    Thanks

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have heard good and bad about handi rifles, some love theirs others couldn't wait to trade out of theirs. I haven't used one but have been open to buying one myself especially in 25-06.

Personally, I would feel more comfortable using the 25-06 round for small-medium game rather than the 22-250. I know people who use the 22-250 for deer regularly and most of them are dang good shots who usually only take neck shots.

sammie white

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you need to look at a cva stalker 243 it will do what both other guns can do. i have one that groups at 1/2inch with good ammo.i simply went with a good scope 100 grain ammo ,i have killed 10 deer in two years ,with 3 8pts killed in excess of 250 yds.this gun can be bought at academy,mine is the heavy barrel version,i am sure a better shooter could get 1/4inch groups are less.if you would like to talk about the gun some more call 251-296-2423.......................................................................

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen a lot of animals run off or half the meat ruined with a .22-250. Yeah, it can be handloaded with something like a Nosler Partition and with good shot placement it will do the job. Do yourself a favor and go at least .243 or get the .25-06 and never look back.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the all the responses. I think I will go with 25-06 or 243.
    I also will go to Academy and check out the CVA Stalker.
    I think I will list a WTB in the sales section and see if anyone has a single shot for sale.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of my friends hunts with a New england Arms handi rifle and he loves it, I have shot it and it is a nice gun his is a .223 caliber he has dropped several deer in their tracks shoots them in their neck.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up getting a Ruger Number 1, in 25-06. I bought it from Miles at Tradewinds. He is putting on the scope and I will pick up tomorrow. I will post a range report when I get to the range.
    Thanks for all the advice, but i just could not resist the Ruger. I have always wanted one.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked it up today, and can't seem to put it down. My wife is under the weather and I can't sneak out to the range and its killing me!!!!!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, about 30 years ago my wife was bad sick. Sad thing about it was I had a new Remington 1100 and it was opening day of dove season. I call the sister-in-law to come baby sit the wife and I went dove hunting. You can probably guess the rest of the story.

Enjoy that #1. A .25-06 is all that I have used for deer since 1972. I have other rifles but I just can't leave that one at home.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The vertical stringing is most likely due to the bbl heating up. This "problem" would most likely be resolved by a relatively simple bbl floating. I have done this to several of my NEF's and it works great. But.....also remember that if this is a hunting gun,every shot will be from a cold bbl.

The viability of the 300BO is another topic all together however I tend to be somewhat negative about this for various reasons. ESPECIALLY in a single shot. --- SAWMAN

cbigcarl

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For a hunting rifle, group stringing should not matter. The only thing that should matter is that the first shot (from a cold barrel) hit in the same every time. Tiny groups are nice and I like to shoot them, but I have never seen a dead deer with 3 close bullet holes in them.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I finally got to sight this in yesterday. After 12 shots, I was able to get a quarter sized, three shot group, at 100 yards.
    I have a hunting trip planned in North AL, and plan on taking advantage of this accuracy.
    Attached are a couple of pics of the gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      220.1 KB · Views: 149
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      221.3 KB · Views: 146

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    purty.... you'll enjoy it for years to come... I was hard pressed between 25-06 ans 30-06 when I bought my bolt gun... 30-06 won, only because I wanted bullet options for hopefully a future elk/mule deer hunt.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a single shot NEF. 243 that i killed quite a few deer with. Definately a tack driver

Top Bottom