• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan5513

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the better part of my life I have been hunting whitetail with a 270wsm and I’ve never had an issue switching between different ammo. Ballistics with my 270wsm are usually 1” high at 50, 0 at 100, and 1” low at 200yrd. So when I went to santa rosa yesterday to sight my 30-30 and a new to me marlin 44mag, I sighted both rifles 1” high at 50yrd and expected them to be about dead on at 100yrd, however, both rifles were 8” high at 100yrd, verified through multiple shots. I brought the 30-30 down to 0 at 100yrd because I plan on using the 30-30 on the edge of a clearing but I left the 44mag 1” high at 50yrd because it is for close in hunting in my stand.

My problem is, everything I am reading says the 30-30 should be 0.5” lower at 100 than it is a 50yrd, and the 44mag should be about 4-5 inches lower at 100 than it is a 50yrd.

Im using Hornaday Leverevolution 225gr FTX in the 44mag and 160gr FTX in the 30-30.

Any advice or has anyone seen anything similar with this ammo?

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What kind of sights / optic are you using? Height over bore issues (ie higher RDS / optic can mess with typical 'zeros'.) can sometimes

Roughing out a normal iron sight lever action with the Hornady 30-30 ammo / website, I get about 1/2 high at 50yds giving a 100yd zero, but that difference wouldn't make 1" high at 50 yards 8" high at 100.

Weird, for sure.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Overall it's a great reminder that your zero is only what you actually check and shoot.

Yes, 50 / 200 (for AR15s for example) should work, but unless you check it at 200, you really don't know.

Barrel lengths, mounting setups, ammo, firearm. Everything has an effect.

ryan5513

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What kind of sights / optic are you using? Height over bore issues (ie higher RDS / optic can mess with typical 'zeros'.) can sometimes

Roughing out a normal iron sight lever action with the Hornady 30-30 ammo / website, I get about 1/2 high at 50yds giving a 100yd zero, but that difference wouldn't make 1" high at 50 yards 8" high at 100.

Weird, for sure.
    Low profile rings with a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7 x 33mm on the 44mag, which is really the one im concnered about the most.
    The 30-30 has the original high base rings, see through for the iron sights, and the original bushnell sportview 3-9x32 from the early 80s

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The ftx bullet changes the dynamics. Look at a normal 30/30 round nose or fp bullet. And same with 44 mag. The ftx is more aerodynamic so less drag

ryan5513

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ftx bullet changes the dynamics. Look at a normal 30/30 round nose or fp bullet. And same with 44 mag. The ftx is more aerodynamic so less drag
    Agreed, i was just surprised at the zero differences at 50 and 100yrd. But seeing how both rifles with the FTX bullet exhibited the same rise between 50 and 100yrd, demonstrated on multiple shots, it probably is just the ballistics and true trajectory out of those 2 rifles. I will head back tot he range and verify zeros again just as a sanity check. I'm not in the business of missing shots on whitetails and don't want to start this season.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Agreed, i was just surprised at the zero differences at 50 and 100yrd. But seeing how both rifles with the FTX bullet exhibited the same rise between 50 and 100yrd, demonstrated on multiple shots, it probably is just the ballistics and true trajectory out of those 2 rifles. I will head back tot he range and verify zeros again just as a sanity check. I'm not in the business of missing shots on whitetails and don't want to start this season.

Definitely can understand that. Tempted to find some ftx in 452 for a 454 casull I just bought now...... wait I may have some.......

Top Bottom